• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style

Re: Harley's Wraith - New DMG Chassis Pics

LOVE this new chassis "thumbsup"

Cant wait to see it done Harley!! Anxious to see how the axle housing comes out too!

Parts for the rear axle just showed up!

9efd5f37.jpg

:cry: i cant look

nice axles you got ther harley, i sure hope you dont stuff up.

Yeah you've got to try stuff sometimes though otherwise nothing gets done! I can't just sit back and wait for someone else to do it!

The problem is that even if someone else did it, they probably wouldn't do it how I wanted. RC4WD may do it but the problem is that relying on their XVD's is not an option for me. They put out lots of good products, axle shafts are just not one of them IMO.

Yeah you've got to try stuff sometimes though otherwise nothing gets done! I can't just sit back and wait for someone else to do it!

The problem is that even if someone else did it, they probably wouldn't do it how I wanted. RC4WD may do it but the problem is that relying on their XVD's is not an option for me. They put out lots of good products, axle shafts are just not one of them IMO.

Not to derail this thread.....
COMPLETELY 100% AGREE.
Sometimes I wish RC4WD would ready threads like this or their own threads even.
I love the fact that Mike and the gang make some great realistic products. But they honestly do fall short with anything gearing or shaft wise.
I gotta Killer T case with some not so Killer gears.
So to say the least, little worried.

Anyways, looks like a great start Josh, figured you would try your idea to the plastic product first. But seems like you have a plan.
so are you gonna sleeve the other end so the part you add will just joint together?
And now that your centering the pumpkin, what will you do for a truss?

Not to derail this thread.....
COMPLETELY 100% AGREE.
Sometimes I wish RC4WD would ready threads like this or their own threads even.
I love the fact that Mike and the gang make some great realistic products. But they honestly do fall short with anything gearing or shaft wise.
I gotta Killer T case with some not so Killer gears.
So to say the least, little worried.

Anyways, looks like a great start Josh, figured you would try your idea to the plastic product first. But seems like you have a plan.
so are you gonna sleeve the other end so the part you add will just joint together?
And now that your centering the pumpkin, what will you do for a truss?

Yeah I figure why do it twice? What's the worst that could happen? :lol: Yes, going to sleeve the tubes then drill through the housing to have a place to spot weld them.

As for for the truss... It's going to have to be something that will mount between the lower link mounts. From there I'll play it by ear.

RC4WD has done good shafts and gears before (XR gears, Bully shafts) but they don't seem to carry throughout the lineup.

Very nice, you have sent them your center pumkin design though that would have been sweet "thumbsup"

I haven't but they are aware of it. The problem is the axle shafts. If you wanted 4WS then in order to use existing shafts you would have to use a different housing (or different straight axle adapters) because no straight axle matches the length of the XR universals.

It's a pain to think about with a production mindset.

RC4WD has done good shafts and gears before (XR gears, Bully shafts) but they don't seem to carry throughout the lineup.

We are still working on new Wraith CVD's. We have been trying different materials...

We are still working on new Wraith CVD's. We have been trying different materials...

Really no point, You guys know what's worked in the past and fail to try this thing called "Consistency". I cant remember how many Versions i went though on my bully before i gave up.

Axle's look BA in silver.

Last edited:

Thats good to hear. Hopefully that is an across the board statement. The design of the inner axle on your Wraith shafts was poor regardless of the material though. The short necked down area concentrated the area where axle twist occurred and cause premature breakage. There was no benefit to the larger shaft area with that design. Hopefully that is removed in future "patches" :lol:

I would be happy to see you guys have some bulletproof shafts. It would really make me want to buy your scale axles. The looks of them are unequaled in the scale world, they just lack the durability that I would demand.

Thats good to hear. Hopefully that is an across the board statement. The design of the inner axle on your Wraith shafts was poor regardless of the material though. The short necked down area concentrated the area where axle twist occurred and cause premature breakage. There was no benefit to the larger shaft area with that design. Hopefully that is removed in future "patches" :lol:

I would be happy to see you guys have some bulletproof shafts. It would really make me want to buy your scale axles. The looks of them are unequaled in the scale world, they just lack the durability that I would demand.

Yes, we have changed the design significantly too. Just need find the right material. We wont be releasing it until we are sure it will hold up too big power.

As for gears, we use the same material as the XR10 gears we make on all new products. There will be a new Wraith upgrade from us in the new year. ;-)

harley, your truck is awesome!!! This build has been really helpful. I just got the Wraith for xmas. it was broke out of the box. So, i ordered the VP links to replace them. I started to read this thread thinking i was gonna find out what parts to replace right off the bat, but now, i think i am just gonna drive it and replace stuff as i break it. I am new to the crawling scene so no need to go all out right away. I will be following your build. i wanna see how this thing turns out!!

harley, your truck is awesome!!! This build has been really helpful. I just got the Wraith for xmas. it was broke out of the box. So, i ordered the VP links to replace them. I started to read this thread thinking i was gonna find out what parts to replace right off the bat, but now, i think i am just gonna drive it and replace stuff as i break it. I am new to the crawling scene so no need to go all out right away. I will be following your build. i wanna see how this thing turns out!!

Thanks man, I'm excited to get back to work on it as well. There are lots of things I want to incorporate!

Back