• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style

Took me a little bit but I finally got both front and rear RC4WD axle cases ordered for the Wraith. They are both "front" axles of course since I have 4WS (I almost forgot when I was ordering them :oops:).

Looking forward to throwing them on. I love the sound of metal axles beating against the rocks. Plus I don't think I'll have a ton of plastic left on this thing soon enough...

Took me a little bit but I finally got both front and rear RC4WD axle cases ordered for the Wraith. They are both "front" axles of course since I have 4WS (I almost forgot when I was ordering them :oops:).

Looking forward to throwing them on. I love the sound of metal axles beating against the rocks. Plus I don't think I'll have a ton of plastic left on this thing soon enough...

Mine should be in tomorrow,if u order from Jp customs he wil sell u both for 169.00!! I just can't wait to try out the 4ws!! Harley I haven't done a search yet, but did u post up a 4pl setup for the wraith?

Mine should be in tomorrow,if u order from Jp customs he wil sell u both for 169.00!! I just can't wait to try out the 4ws!! Harley I haven't done a search yet, but did u post up a 4pl setup for the wraith?

I got a pretty awesome deal, still amazed that they can machine these for that kind of money!

There isn't much setup but let me know what you need and I'll post exactly what you need.

Last edited:
A package arrived today, damn Columbus day delayed it a day!

A couple awesome looking axles from RC4WD were waiting inside!

2756f966.jpg

A package arrived today, damn Columbus day delayed it a day!

A couple awesome looking axles from RC4WD were waiting

After seeing them in person and working on them. You will like them.
I was impressed with bearing pockets and caps, the tolerances were very good. The C's fit very good also.

Put together a quick review on my first impressions. I'll have more detailed info later on the full build of them.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/341870-rc4wd-aluminum-axles-review.html

rc4wdNewLogoX2.jpg

I bought a pair of RC4WD aluminum Wraith axles last week and received them today. I ordered two front axles because my Wraith is setup with 4WS. The reason RC4WD specifies a front and rear housing is because these axles include either aluminum C’s (front) or straight axle adapters (rear). These pieces are included due to the fact that RC4WD modified the design to simplify machining of the axle. You can see that an Axial style C hub will not fit (this is a VP unit but is the same as stock). This is not a bad design at all, just worth noting. These axles also include aluminum bearing caps, another bonus!

2756f966.jpg

After receiving the axles I inspected the finish. The machine work is what we have come to expect from RC4WD. These aren’t some crude version of what the stock axle looked like, such as what we see from Integy or Golden Horizon, these are very close copies of the stock Axial plastic housing. Many people may not even realize you are running an aftermarket aluminum case if you get the black version such as I did (that is until you see the scratches the rocks leave!).

79859e73.jpg

32ac6993.jpg

I assembled one of the axles loosely shortly after receiving them. The axle went together easily and tolerances felt pretty good. I was missing one of the screws for the bearing caps and had one too many of the short screws used to hold the C’s on but that is minor. I had a VP diff cover on my desk so I used it to test fit, went right on just like you would expect. I will assemble an axle completely with bearings and gears soon.

First impressions of this axle, it’s a complete STEAL for the cost. I honestly can’t believe they are including so much for so little. If you subtract what aluminum C-hubs ($31) and bearing caps ($16) you are only paying $43 for the axle housing. Again, it’s a steal of a deal. I’ll buy these again in a heartbeat.

so if the stock set up runs about 11 MPH how fast would you say the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster 13t handwound puts your wraith at ?

It's about the same. Maybe a hair slower but not much. Speeds have to be pretty drastically different to notice much. I went from stock to VXL to Holmes so this feels the same as stock.

I just tried my hh11t last night around the house and I would say it just as fast as stock if not a touch more and I'm running stock spur and dropped my pinion down to a 18t. I'll see how she runs like that.

Hey Harley are you still running 475 hubs? I just ordered SSZ's and 475's. Now I been reading up and hope I didn't go too wide. What's your opinion on Hub sizes?

Last edited:
It's about the same. Maybe a hair slower but not much. Speeds have to be pretty drastically different to notice much. I went from stock to VXL to Holmes so this feels the same as stock.

ok so if Im wanting a bit more speed but i was fairly happy with the torque , could always use more of course, should i go with a brushless censored set up
or just boost up to a 3c lipo with the BEC and a good brushed motor ?

sorry im a total noob to RC cars and dont want to waist my hard earned cash on the wrong thing ..

I'm planning on doing small jumps and hill climbs most the time with moderate crawling on the side..

if you point me to the right set up I'll be greatfull "thumbsup"

sorry forgot to mention ... I could drop about $150 towards this upgrade

totally lost :oops:

Harley suggested a Mamba Max Pro and a 13.5t sensored motor, & it was a great combo in my Wraith, though that will be in the $180-$200+ range. Worth it though IMO."thumbsup"

& don't forget the castle link too!

Last edited:
sorry forgot to mention ... I could drop about $150 towards this upgrade

totally lost :oops:

So you were only running 2s Lipo before it sounds like. in order to keep you in your budget and get the results you want I would suggest getting a couple nice 3s packs. Try Hobbypartz.com. Then pick up a BEC and 27 turn motor from Holmeshobbies.com. The stock ESC will work fine for now.

I do suggest the 13.5 brushless and sensored ESC but that will be more money. It will last you longer though, brushed motors wear out much faster.

Last edited:
Back