• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style

Very true! Metal links, beadlocks and sticky tires would be great to see.

Metal links I could give or take. Chances are they'd end up in a box. Same for beadlocks and tires, though I am a bit surprised that beadlocks are not standard equipment. Rolling stock are commonly replaced parts anyway. Even if they were the best in the world, someone would swap them out for something that better suited their tastes or build style.

I was thinking more along the lines of parts that would bulletproof the rig, like metal transmission gears, carriers, knuckles, etc etc. Strong is universal, pretty is not. ;-)

Still thinking that the VXL ESC/Motor combo a decent decision? My stock motor is just about finished, looking to swap without spending a ton.

Metal links I could give or take. Chances are they'd end up in a box. Same for beadlocks and tires, though I am a bit surprised that beadlocks are not standard equipment. Rolling stock are commonly replaced parts anyway. Even if they were the best in the world, someone would swap them out for something that better suited their tastes or build style.

I was thinking more along the lines of parts that would bulletproof the rig, like metal transmission gears, carriers, knuckles, etc etc. Strong is universal, pretty is not. ;-)

I don't see that happening. I see the other parts as things most people would likely see more useful (maybe not hardcore RCC'ers though). Plus these things would make assembly easier, I hate gluing tires!

I don't see that happening. I see the other parts as things most people would likely see more useful (maybe not hardcore RCC'ers though). Plus these things would make assembly easier, I hate gluing tires!

True dat. It would also cut into aftermarket sales for Axial and our super kick-ass vendors alike.

I am thinking these are in the very near future :twisted:

Wraith_TI_tie_rod.png

Wraith_drag_link.png

Not sure if this asked already, but how are you running the BEC?
Directly to servo or thru stock receiver? If directly to servo then the question is can the stock receiver handle an ext bec?

So the brushless motor is a lot of fun, but I'm over the go fast part now. It did a great job for durability testing but it's time to move on. I was going to build a second one up as more of a crawler based and leave this one as a go fast. I have somewhat changed my mind on that direction. Instead I am just going to build this one as a more well rounded rig. So today I called up JohnRobHolmes and discussed our options. After some discussion we decided to try out the new 5 slot motors John is offering. I am going to go with a 13 turn which will have great low speed control and still have great top end (although not quite that of the brushless).

To go along with the motor I decided to round out the package with a Waterproof BRXL esc from Holmes as well.

HH-burst-01.jpg

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=420&cat=0&page=1

CM-PRO-detail.jpg

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=274&cat=2&page=1

Waterproof-detail.jpg

I love my BRXL in my honcho best thing ever. Can't wait to see the latest video with new setup ;)

I was just drooling over those motors last night!

What has 2 thumbs and is jealous right now????
:mrgreen:This guy!!:mrgreen:

Yeah I was planning the same setup. Next best thing to a br-xl and puller! Let me know what pinion you use...

Harley, as you spoke directly with JRH, last night I was just thinking about HH crawlmaster 5slot motors, and wondering if given the size of the Wraith it would have been a better choice a 550 (or 600) long case motor. Have you talked with JRH about that possibility too?

Last edited:
Harley, as you spoke directly with JRH, last night I was just thinking about HH crawlmaster 5slot motors, and wondering if given the size of the Wraith it would have been a better choice a 550 (or 600) long case motor. Have you talked with JRH about that possibility too?

The rear upper link mounts get in the way of longer motors. A quality 540 motor will push these rigs well. You have to remember we have been building rigs this size for years. The Wraith is much lighter than the rigs we were building like this before. Volt up and gear down!

I see your point on the lightweight.
Still it's a pity that link does not allow a 550-600 motor to go in. I love 600's

I'm pretty sure that after the very first go-fast bashing period, my goal would be to make it more of a scale-crawler and for sure it will have weight in the (beadlock)wheels.

Back