• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style

Re: Harley's Wraith - *New VP Disc Brake and Calipers!*

ALRIGHT! Finally got some work done. First things first, I threw the new front axle on 8) Over time I'll swap the black parts out for Silver, just not too concerned with it right now.

4eca40b6.jpg

Very nice work VP monkey on the Disc Brake and Calipers set. ;-)

Re: Harley's Wraith - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra4

Due to the massive size, Vanquish cannot say these fit any other manufacturers wheels. They will fit all of VP's SLW and SSZ wheels though.

That's all that really matters in my eyes.

this is definetly a crazy build. when you have finished this wraith are you gonna do another?

DISC Brake Install

Now the VP design is very simple and straight forward, offering maximum adjustment of the caliper location. However there is a problem still, but it's actually the Axial universals (and probably the dog bones). As most of you have probably noticed, there is a TON of end play in the stub shafts.

The first thing I did since I was in the area any way replace the bearings. Continuing to use the kit Fast Eddy sent me "thumbsup" In order to get rid of the end play I had to use 4 shims of various sizes.

6494c0d6.jpg

Behind the large bearing I used two 0.25mm shims.

19f49dc5.jpg

f703f597.jpg

Behind the front bearing I used one 0.20mm and one .05mm shim.

fb1ada51.jpg

b591debe.jpg

After installing these shims I have nearly zero end play in the stub shaft and the universals still spin freely without bind at full lock.

Next I installed the caliper mount on the knuckle. Then slide the rotor on the SLW hub. Install the wheel nut. Now mark the dowel pins to cut them to length. Remove the caliper, cut the pin and reinstall.

2b38d679.jpg

this is definetly a crazy build. when you have finished this wraith are you gonna do another?

Why wait? :ror: I've already got another chassis under construction and a huge pile of VP parts on the bench 8) It will be built from the ground up, no kit to start with. This one is for Jim @ VP. Separate thread will come soon for that one.

efc13a0d.jpg

465f379a.jpg

So do the brake rotors take the place of the hubs? And do you have any pics of how the caliper mounts. And do you have any idea how much these beauties might set us back?

So do the brake rotors take the place of the hubs? And do you have any pics of how the caliper mounts. And do you have any idea how much these beauties might set us back?

The slide over your existing hub, and sandwich between the hub and wheel.

This picture shows the caliper mount on the left side of the knuckle.

19f49dc5.jpg

Then you slide the dowel pins through those holes and tighten down the two set screws that are on the mount.

03231b9d.jpg

2b38d679.jpg

This picture shows the caliper mount on the left side of the knuckle.

19f49dc5.jpg

Then you slide the dowel pins through those holes and tighten down the two set screws that are on the mount.

OK, got-cha "thumbsup" Those guys at Vanquish are pretty darned clever!

Off the charts. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

So are you running the SSZ's or the SLW's? Vid shows SSZ's and pics SLW :p Do you use the 350 hubs on both? Do the calipers clear both?

So are you running the SSZ's or the SLW's? Vid shows SSZ's and pics SLW :p Do you use the 350 hubs on both? Do the calipers clear both?

That video was shot by VP Monkey during testing. I'm not running the Rockstars. I will be running the SLW's for a little while.

The calipers clear all VP SLW and SSZ wheels and for 225-750 hubs. They will also clear the 825's but you will need a longer dowel pin then the one that's included.

Oh hell thought it was your vid, thats why I got confused. Lol Thanks

Back