• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

2011 Midwest Indoor Challenge, March 12th

I am sure some people do not have the balls to be honest but I cannot do anything about that. "thumbsup" As far as where it is coming from, I read a post in another forum and am just trying to find out how everyone feels about The Rox Box in specific, not how they feel about the event.
yeah,,, like you will get an honest answer in here....;-):roll::lmao:

BTW,,, where in the hell is this coming from, had a great time!!

Anyone think that The Rox Box is small, had slick rock, difficult (specifically gate #'s 2 & 3) courses, and was cold (45*) inside this past weekend?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Dan

Honestly?

Small? No. Not for an indoor comp spot. It's bigger than what most clubs have available. There were 5 courses setup and as long as spectators were paying attention or people spoke up to get them to move, I didn't see too many problems with people running into each other. That's pretty rare for an indoor facility.

Slick rock? I actually liked the occaisional transition from high traction concrete to slicker natural rock. It made you think about your line and plan around it.

Difficult courses? Not really. I thought there was a nice balance...and actually thought a couple might have been easier than I expected for a national level event. Not that I'm complaining. It was refreshing to see so many people finishing courses and in turn having alot of fun. There was still plenty of speration between drivers' scores, so it's not like it was too easy. All in all, I thought it was nicely balanced.

Cold? It was a bit windy in the tent (can't change the weather) and outside, but I wore only a t-shirt for much of my time inside.

All in all, I had a great time. I enjoyed the courses. I felt that Aaron, Jeremy, and the rest of the staff and judges were very welcoming, and did a great job setting up and running a large event. I know first hand how difficult if can be to keep an event of that size running smoothly, and I thought it did just that. "thumbsup"

gotcha! keyboard warriors strike again!!

Well my opinion about the rox box itself, is a great facility that could use just a touch of refining and the bathroom cleaned!!;-)

Other than that its a cool place to crawl, well laid out and extremely challenging.

It was cold in there, but it was a cold weekend and the door WAS open all weekend, dress warm!!

Shouldn't this go in other thread so we arent muddying up a perfectly good thread??

Last edited:
Thanks for being honest Eviltwin!

Dogman, I will be the first to appologize for the bathroom situation. It was clean before the event but when you put the works 70+ people in a restroom that was designed for maybe the works of 5 people a day, it can get bad. :shock: We usually rent a port-a-potty for the bigger events. :lmao:Thanks for being honest!

Maybe I've been around this hobby long enough to remember what it was like 3 or 4 years ago trying to find anyplace to drive trucks during cold weather...trying to test rigs on a tiny pile of rocks in a basement or having some spray foam courses laid out on folding tables in the back corner of a hobby shop.

Things have changed alot over the years, and I guess part of the problem is that so few people realize where we started to understand how great we have it now.

Agreed. I can say that I have taken a leaf blower with me to a comp to blow that snow off of the rock so we could crawl.
Maybe I've been around this hobby long enough to remember what it was like 3 or 4 years ago trying to find anyplace to drive trucks during cold weather...trying to test rigs on a tiny pile of rocks in a basement or having some spray foam courses laid out on folding tables in the back corner of a hobby shop.

Things have changed alot over the years, and I guess part of the problem is that so few people realize where we started to understand how great we have it now.

Difficult courses? Not really. I thought there was a nice balance...and actually thought a couple might have been easier than I expected for a national level event. Not that I'm complaining. It was refreshing to see so many people finishing courses and in turn having alot of fun. There was still plenty of speration between drivers' scores, so it's not like it was too easy. All in all, I thought it was nicely balanced.

And that is what I was going for, a nice balance so that we had something for everyone, that way we all had fun that day "thumbsup" You know that I can get very evil on courses :twisted:

But I knew that we did not have a field full of national drivers, so I backed off the courses some. That way people who drove 14 hrs could at least say they finished one or 2 courses and have fun that day. I left alot of options up to the driver and left them enough room to screw themselves. As you said, the top drivers will always raise to the top anyway "thumbsup"

But as we all know, you can make the easiest course and no one finish it and then make the hardest course and everyone walk it :lmao::lmao:

As long as the driver did work for those 4 mins and had fun, then i did my job ;-)

TC you def, did your job bro, they were great courses and FUN!!! Too bad my driving was nt so fun!!

ET No need to appologize, 70+ people wreck any single bathroom!! It would be expected to get trashed, was asked to be honest so I was. BTW I pissed on the floor(accident):oops: lol(do I still need to be honest?)

as a guy who tries to hold a winter series inside, I will say that the Rox Box is what we all wished we could do.
Not small in any way.
Some rocks are slick, true. THEY'RE ROCKS!
Courses were perfect, only I made them look hard.
I admit I wasn't smart enough to warm up my plastic truck before the first run and chose the wall of death. but after that no issues.

I personally didn't hear a single bitch from a competitor at or after the comp. "thumbsup"

I thought the venue was great overall. Sweet courses, lots of traction and those damn tubes were fun! I would like to try the 24 hour event as well since I practically fell in love with the Rok Box on saturday. "thumbsup"

Yeah. Tell me about it. I completely screwed up what was possibly the easiest course there. :shock:

I had to go back later and drive that one gate just to prove I could...

That darned course 4 gate 2...lol.

I had a blast. I did get kinda cold in the morning, judging closest to the door, so I got the breeze, and couldn't feel my fingers for a bit! lol, it's all good though

The traction was mixed, and it just meant we had to set our rigs up for each course and be ready to use the wheel speed!!

Good times folks!! I'll be back!! "thumbsup"

Anyone think that The Rox Box is small, had slick rock, difficult (specifically gate #'s 2 & 3) courses, and was cold (45*) inside this past weekend?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Dan

I was cold off and on through out the day. When I heard the 24 hour Comp is in October. I thought to myself it might be COLD at 3:00AM, so ass better be getting spot upstairs or I might have to stay home.

Everything else about the Rox Box met or exceeded my expectations.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Dan

Bit small but definitely not too small, rocks were perfect, floor was ice,
Courses were perfect, cold outside in the pits, inside was fine. "thumbsup"

This came from Biggin69 coming over to the scrc board, reading my commentary about the trip and jumping to conclusions. He didnt know about previous discussions that had been had among the club members.

It was cold in the building, we all know that. I was told ahead of time that the heat wouldnt be on.

The rocks were slick, never said it was a bad thing. Just stated a fact.

I said the box was smaller than I thought it would be. I was using what I had been told to base my opinion. The way it was talked about I thought it would be 100'x150'.

The courses were actually easier than I thought they would be. Tire choice was a major factor in how you did.

What was missed was were I said I had a good time and that I would go back.

Jetboat,

However your comments were made or intended, they just came out as a rather negative experience.
As far as the comment about courses being easy, I really think you might have been mistaken.
For several pro level drivers being there and the fact that only two of them went into the finals with a negative score means that Jeremy and whoever helped him set up the courses did a fantastic job. The Rox Box is a national caliber facility. Sure, its not a 15000 square foot building with 2000 ton of rock in it, but it is still the largest permanent indoor rock crawling facility in the USA. Perhaps not by total floor space but by square footage of rock to crawl on. Aaron works his ass off to provide the best and most comfortable accomodations he can, and I thank him for that!"thumbsup"

With that being said, I'm sure you didn't mean any of this in a negative light like it came out. It just bugged several of us who appreciate what he does for us there.

Thank You Aaron for what you do, keep up the good work boss."thumbsup"

I dont get why you guys took it so negative... If you read everything there was allot of talking about what I saw that worked and what didnt. It was more aimed to help our guys that may go in the future. Had I known the info I put in that thread I could have adjusted my setup and done far better. Knowing that it was going to be cold would have effected foam choice, knowing what the rockes were like would have effected tire choice.

Take a step back from being so involved with the box and look at it as information you can use. Heck, use the honest comments to improve the facility. Look at it from a neutral standpoint and it could be useful in making things better.

Back