• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

smogs H10 optic

That's about how I see it; a rock buggy rather than a rock crawler. If it comes out as a kit, we will give on a go and see how it handles our massive sandstone formations. I think it will fit in the same class as the Gatekeeper, but just be better suited to the task at hand.

Looking over the VP website, they list it as a Trail Buggy, and I think that's spot on. Element RC lists the Gatekeeper as a Rock Crawler Buggy, and I feel that's playing a bit loose with the terminology. It's not wrong per say, but I think VP has the right title.

Last edited:
That's about how I see it; a rock buggy rather than a rock crawler. If it comes out as a kit, we will give on a go and see how it handles our massive sandstone formations. I think it will fit in the same class as the Gatekeeper, but just be better suited to the task at hand.

Looking over the VP website, they list it as a Trail Buggy, and I think that's spot on. Element RC lists the Gatekeeper as a Rock Crawler Buggy, and I feel that's playing a bit more loose with the terminology. It's not wrong per se, but I think VP has the right title.
Trail Buggy works for me. So does Rock Buggy. Rock Crawler Buggy, no thanks.

Up here in the middle of nowhere we never go ‘trailin’, we go crawlin’

I got mine a couple days ago. So far I have a FusionPro 2300kV, a Reefs 444, A set of Proline TSLs and Injora Wheels. Waiting on a deal for a VFD Twin for it to go thru before I tear it down. Has anyone tried to peel the finish off, it looks like a wrap as it has edges you can snag with your fingernail. I also have a different fuel cel and a rear rack coming. Hopefully, but the end of the month i can get it all set up.

I did take it for a spin today in stock form. That reinforced my decision to put a VFD Twin in it. More top end, more lower end. I love the steering and even tho it is a rock buggy, I think it is easier to tear apart than most of them out there.

I got mine a couple days ago. So far I have a FusionPro 2300kV, a Reefs 444, A set of Proline TSLs and Injora Wheels. Waiting on a deal for a VFD Twin for it to go thru before I tear it down. Has anyone tried to peel the finish off, it looks like a wrap as it has edges you can snag with your fingernail. I also have a different fuel cel and a rear rack coming. Hopefully, but the end of the month i can get it all set up.

I did take it for a spin today in stock form. That reinforced my decision to put a VFD Twin in it. More top end, more lower end. I love the steering and even tho it is a rock buggy, I think it is easier to tear apart than most of them out there.
New servo was a good call. I pretty much killed the stock one after about 5 packs of crawling it through a boulder field. I now have a 35kg DS blue case in it. I have run it pretty hard, but this rig appears to need more torque than my typical railed rig. I think I will get rich and also grab a Reefs.

Peel the decals off before you damage them. I would warm them with heat and gently peel them up . Mine are fairly shredded and so will be staying put. I like the livery, but at some point will pick up a set of blanks and customize them. I really like the body panels, both the shaping a d the materials.

The Twin is also a great idea. I would like the dig feature. For power my inclination is to hop up to a 2700kv sensored Puller for the range but I would miss the feel of the Fusion.

I think you nailed the setup.

Holmes can be spotty on their servo inventory. I have liked NSDRC servos. Just got in a pair of 3BRC servos. I do like my Holmes servos.

The VFD Twin would be a nice upgrade to include for this as a kit, but most likely I would stay with the standard VFD and also run the fusion pro. If anyone has photos with the body panels removed, please do post them. I'm quite interested as to the internal layout.

The VFD Twin would be a nice upgrade to include for this as a kit, but most likely I would stay with the standard VFD and also run the fusion pro. If anyone has photos with the body panels removed, please do post them. I'm quite interested as to the internal layout.
I am travelling this next week otherwise I would post a few chassis pics. I will take a few when home unless someone else does.
Thanks for the servo recommendation. It would be nice if I could get all of that product up here north of the 49th. Here options are limited unfortunately. There is obviously a lack of distribution. Locally it is Reefs, Power Hobby, HiTek, Savox and Spektrum. I have never particularly liked Savox.

Holmes does not currently have any 1/10 scale steering servos in their lineup. The new design 650 low profiles are supposed to be coming out soon though. I've never ran a Reef's steering servo but I do have a couple of their servo winches and they have been great for me. I havent ran a Hitec servo in so long I had to go see if they still made servos.

Appreciate all of the feedback guys, thanks.

For awhile now it seems Reefs has been getting a lot push from the y tube's more high profile channels. Don't hear any complaints to my memory, but I suspect those fellas are getting them for free. Seems like every time I wach they are getting mystery boxes from Reefs. Good deal for them,.good for us to keep it all in perspective, I suppose.
I will likely run my ds 35kg blue case for a bit and see how it holds up to this rig. I have yet to actually kill one. I think I have killed every rtr servo I have owned.

For awhile now it seems Reefs has been getting a lot push from the y tube's more high profile channels. Don't hear any complaints to my memory, but I suspect those fellas are getting them for free. Seems like every time I wach they are getting mystery boxes from Reefs. Good deal for them,.good for us to keep it all in perspective, I suppose.
I will likely run my ds 35kg blue case for a bit and see how it holds up to this rig. I have yet to actually kill one. I think I have killed every rtr servo I have owned.
Maybe a trip down south for a crawl and then stock up on some "used" servos for the trip back home? We got plenty of rooms in Vegas.

s

Yeah they do send out a lot of product to youtubers. You can generally tell if an item is decent though if the person actually keeps it on their trucks for a long time. Sometimes if its junk you will see them swap back out to another servo or whatever pretty quick after the review.

I find it interesting that they just picked up Rich Trujillo and Wyatt from Axial as employees. Could mean that good things coming from Reefs? Not sure what it means for Horizon though.

Maybe a trip down south for a crawl and then stock up on some "used" servos for the trip back home? We got plenty of rooms in Vegas.

s
Beautiful offer Steve. I may just take you up on that one day. My only concern is that I will get spoiled on all that gorgeous desert rock

Less than an hour from the house. Might as well plan on spending a week here, some time in the Fall or early Spring. Would love to show you around.

Yeah Reefs RC is definitely getting the social media push. Sorry, I just don't like the guy. Never met him, but in every video and interview of him that I've seen, he rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah they do send out a lot of product to youtubers. You can generally tell if an item is decent though if the person actually keeps it on their trucks for a long time. Sometimes if its junk you will see them swap back out to another servo or whatever pretty quick after the review.

I find it interesting that they just picked up Rich Trujillo and Wyatt from Axial as employees. Could mean that good things coming from Reefs? Not sure what it means for Horizon though.
Reefs released a lot of hard parts this week. Drawings must have been brought over from Horizon... It should mean good things for Reefs. Horizon is a disaster right now. They can't even ship products in a timely fashion. They just kept buying and obviously grew too large too quickly. I used to be a Horizon fanboy, but now hate the monopoly they are becoming.

Less than an hour from the house. Might as well plan on spending a week here, some time in the Fall or early Spring. Would love to show you around.

That such a generous offer!

Yeah Reefs RC is definitely getting the social media push. Sorry, I just don't like the guy. Never met him, but in every video and interview of him that I've seen, he rubs me the wrong way.

Reefs released a lot of hard parts this week. Drawings must have been brought over from Horizon... It should mean good things for Reefs. Horizon is a disaster right now. They can't even ship products in a timely fashion. They just kept buying and obviously grew too large too quickly. I used to be a Horizon fanboy, but now hate the monopoly they are becoming.

That such a generous offer!
For me Axial lost its soul when it got bought by Horizon. I would have preferred to see the Iconic brand remain in the hands of guys who are more personally invested in it . Not surprised Rich left. I don't know Rich personally, but I would have rather seen Horizon let him fix the Ascender rather than shit-can it altogether. Horizon buys success, admirable company's create it

Back