• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

smogs H10 optic

I would have definitely preferred an upgraded version in kit form. It seems likely that will come in time. Brandon at VP seemed receptive to the idea on their live stream. Personally I really like the platform. If/when the kit comes out I would definitely get another.
Next upgrade for me will be the tires. The Yokahamas are okay, but I think I want something wider. To boot, the VP red compound is so soft and thin the tires are twisting around themselves. It's kinda bonkers. The summer heat is stretching them like rubber bands.
Agreed, I’d definitely be down for a kit if and when they offer one.

I also agree on their tire compound. While they do work pretty well on my terrain, I still prefer good old PL g8 compound. However, I like the size of both the vp mt tires.

I plan to run the Yokohamas for the time being, but it wouldn’t take much to persuade me on a set of PL trepadors…

That's interesting. We have been looking to get some VP tires for testing on our local sandstone. Like you guys, I'm waiting on the kit, but honestly, I'm not quite sure where the H10 is gonna fit in the fleet. My guess is that it would take the spot of our Gatekeeper crawler, but with our mods, the Gatekeeper is no slouch on the rocks. Of course the H10 has better approach angles and such, but I'm curious to see it on a 4-point scale and look over the weight distribution.

For some reason, when it was released I had assumed it was a portal rig. I find the straight-axle a bit more interesting on this, and I think it was the right decision.

In kit form, I wonder what upgrades it will have versus the RTR. Machined gears, ect. I'm curious. I don't want alloy axles though, even if they want to brag about using their Matsuura to machine them ( big deal, we have a Matsuura ). I detest the way alloy axle housing drag on our rock.

Agreed, I’d definitely be down for a kit if and when they offer one.

I also agree on their tire compound. While they do work pretty well on my terrain, I still prefer good old PL g8 compound. However, I like the size of both the vp mt tires.

I plan to run the Yokohamas for the time being, but it wouldn’t take much to persuade me on a set of PL trepadors…

That's interesting. We have been looking to get some VP tires for testing on our local sandstone. Like you guys, I'm waiting on the kit, but honestly, I'm not quite sure where the H10 is gonna fit in the fleet. My guess is that it would take the spot of our Gatekeeper crawler, but with our mods, the Gatekeeper is no slouch on the rocks. Of course the H10 has better approach angles and such, but I'm curious to see it on a 4-point scale and look over the weight distribution.

For some reason, when it was released I had assumed it was a portal rig. I find the straight-axle a bit more interesting on this, and I think it was the right decision.

In kit form, I wonder what upgrades it will have versus the RTR. Machined gears, ect. I'm curious. I don't want alloy axles though, even if they want to brag about using their Matsuura to machine them ( big deal, we have a Matsuura ). I detest the way alloy axle housing drag on our rock.
The Trepador G8 is definitely a tire I want to try. I imagine they are all the rage these days. It's so fun when new tires get released in good compounds.
All I would want in a kit is machined gears throughout. Perhaps some incision driveshafts as well...just because who doesn't like a strong driveline!?

My local hobby store had some Trepadors in G8, so I grabbed a set today. Here they are next to the stock Yokahama
1000009734.jpg
1000009736.jpg

The Bead on these Yokahama's were a bit smooshed when I took them off of the stock wheels. It made mounting a couple of them really challenging. The bead is even worse now after being on this amazon wheel
1000009737.jpg

I have not exactly been babying this rig, but these tires sure are soft. Yeah the rock here is rough, but man these lugs took a shredding

1000009738.jpg

I did some aesthetic work on the Optic too. Painted the fuel cell and CO2 tank (not fire extinguisher...as bgredjeep corrected me on)

1000009731.jpg
1000009732.jpg
1000009733.jpg

Put a different head on my driver...

1000009584.jpg
1000009614.jpg
1000009613.jpg
1000009659.jpg
1000009663.jpg
...lol

Last edited:
Lol. Fyi, the "fire extinguisher" is a co2 bottle used for on board air (mostly for filling tires, but can run air tools if needed).

Lol. Fyi, the "fire extinguisher" is a co2 bottle used for on board air (mostly for filling tires, but can run air tools if needed).
Ha, yeah of course with the airing down and breaking down. Off-roading in my world has never exceeded bush-trails and logging roads. I knew these guys used co2 cannisters. Actually guys i mountain bike with carry miniature cannisters now.

I've got a 20# co2 bottle mounted in my 1:1 crawler. You make lots of friends on the trail when you have onboard air.

Og8iaSl.jpeg

I've got a 20# co2 bottle mounted in my 1:1 crawler. You make lots of friends on the trail when you have onboard air.

Og8iaSl.jpeg
That looks fun. It has I really beautiful cage design with that low profile

The Yokohamas and Treps look very similar in size. Too bad the Trepadors are not labeled 4.75".

Paint looks great!

It's crazy how the scale Treps have been around forever and they're back again. The Axial version sucked ass, but Axial never made a good tire IMO. I bet they are much better in G8, but still look a little tight for around here. Interested to hear your feedback on them.

The Yokohamas and Treps look very similar in size. Too bad the Trepadors are not labeled 4.75".
The difference isn't a lot, but the Treps are definitely wider and taller. Having them your hand and having a 3 dimensional view makes the difference more clear. The Treps are beefier all around.
Paint looks great!

It's crazy how the scale Treps have been around forever and they're back again. The Axial version sucked ass, but Axial never made a good tire IMO. I bet they are much better in G8, but still look a little tight for around here. Interested to hear your feedback on them.
I hear ya. When I first heard Proline was released a Trepador I wasn't particularly interested. This version has a really nice balance of void and lug. I am optimistic. Will definitely share my opinion here.
I have put a dual stage foam in them. Closed cell inner, open cell outer. They are a Proline clone insert. They seem identical.

The difference isn't a lot, but the Treps are definitely wider and taller. Having them your hand and having a 3 dimensional view makes the difference more clear. The Treps are beefier all around.
Most everything I do now is a competition of some sort and limits tire size to 4.75 so I probably wont ever run them, but they do look good.

Paint details on the fuel cell and the "not a fire extinguisher" look great!

I hear ya on the Yokohama's. I recently bought a set of take offs from an Optic on FB. Pulled the tires off of the stock plastic wheels and found that the tires were stuck to the foams around the bead. Gently had to peel the tires away from the foams in hopes not to rip the bead. Letting the tires sit and rest for a week to let the bead "heal" before I mount them on different wheels.

Paint details on the fuel cell and the "not a fire extinguisher" look great!

I hear ya on the Yokohama's. I recently bought a set of take offs from an Optic on FB. Pulled the tires off of the stock plastic wheels and found that the tires were stuck to the foams around the bead. Gently had to peel the tires away from the foams in hopes not to rip the bead. Letting the tires sit and rest for a week to let the bead "heal" before I mount them on different wheels.
The VP red compound is crazy soft. I too found that getting them off of the stock wheels was like stretching taffy. Hopefully the deformed bead I showed straightens out. I would like to try them out with a different insert.

Smog,

Looking all of this over, you would agree that the H10 is a rock buggy more so than a rock crawler? It feels somewhat like splitting hairs, but from what I have been observing, the H10 is the well-rounded rock buggy from VP where as the VRD is a purpose-built rock crawler.

s.

The VP red compound is crazy soft. I too found that getting them off of the stock wheels was like stretching taffy. Hopefully the deformed bead I showed straightens out. I would like to try them out with a different insert.
I was disappointed in the tires when I got them off the stock wheels finally. Deformed beads and stuck to the foams and the cross section of the whole tire is basically a square. I ordered some R35 axial crawlers for my SSD wheels and they fit perfectly. Yeah they aren’t as sticky but I don’t care.

Smog,

Looking all of this over, you would agree that the H10 is a rock buggy more so than a rock crawler? It feels somewhat like splitting hairs, but from what I have been observing, the H10 is the well-rounded rock buggy from VP where as the VRD is a purpose-built rock crawler.

s.
That is an interesting question. Not sure exactly how to answer it. The optic is definitely a rock buggy. That said it does crawl really well in my opinion. Certainly not noticeably worse or better than a vs410. I haven't run a VRD yet, so I couldn't say for sure how it compares there but I would expect the VRD has some level of advantage. The angled skid and low ride height that chassis sets-up would have to give a decided advantage.
The Optic is fun with the 2300kv HW fusion system. It has a nice balance of low end and moderate speed. If a kit comes out offering up the machined gears, I will likely chuck a 2700kv system in it and see how well I can get it to soak up some bumps.

Back