• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

smogs H10 optic

Just when I said no more rigs I see this :) Looks great (y)
Outside of the stock electronics, this rig is gold.
I like the look of this rig. How do you feel it compares to the Capra?
I don't have a Capra, but i feel confident in saying that the H10 has a significantly lower center of gravity than a Capra. It has the low and forward mounted VFD plus a lower ride height out of the box. I have paid enough attention to the Capra to see thisnis quite obvious. Putting a Fusion Pro in the H10 has made it stupidly capable for a mechanically stock rig. The approach and departure angles are optimized in its design so you can roll straight into the burly stuff straight away. The H10 wheelbase is longer, so breakover agle may be ever so slightly affected, but nothing a good driver can't negotiate out on the rocks. But most importantly, it is waaay cooler looking than a Capra...:p:D

Another consideration I would have is in the gearing. The Optic gears down in the VFD and runs a straight axle. The Capra is geared a bit high in the transmission to my understanding. The portals are where the gearing comes down. This is fine, but straight axles lower your weight down

Last edited:
Okay, now that I have had it out to play I can take a deep breath. Here are a few pics of some of this rigs interesting design features

The H10 front axle and push-rod steering
1000009320.jpg
The scale bump stops for the front suspension
1000009321.jpg
The first broken part was my numberless plate. Obviously vulnerable to roll-overs on rocks
1000009322.jpg
I suspect there will be many upgrade parts for this platform coming along in short order

Those winglets were pretty fragile on the Gmade Gom as well. It might be worth using the remaining one to make a template that can be used to make more out of lexan or whatever.
EDIT: or since its a hardbody you could use some bondene to fuse the boken peices back together.

This looks like a really fun rig! I almost grabbed an RTR but I talked myself down, I'm holding out for a kit šŸ¤ž

Those winglets were pretty fragile on the Gmade Gom as well. It might be worth using the remaining one to make a template that can be used to make more out of lexan or whatever.
EDIT: or since its a hardbody you could use some bondene to fuse the boken peices back together.

This looks like a really fun rig! I almost grabbed an RTR but I talked myself down, I'm holding out for a kit šŸ¤ž
Lexan winglets are a good idea. I suppose one could really use any material really. It's nice that they and the other scale details are not molded into the cage. It allows them to be replaced or removed all together. Unfortunately I did not see when the piece broke, so I will not be able to fuse it back together. Would have been nice.
I hope the kit comes with a nice complement of upgrade parts. It really is a fun rig. I look forward to seeing them into more hands around here.

This is a great looking rig and if I was still into RC as much as I was a few years ago, I would have to get one. Nice photos and vids!

Does that steering shaft just slide inside the plastic axle housing?

This is a great looking rig and if I was still into RC as much as I was a few years ago, I would have to get one. Nice photos and vids!

Does that steering shaft just slide inside the plastic axle housing?
Hey, thanks Jato. Yep, that's exactly it!

Thanks for the update. I too prefer the solid axle over portals and like the look of this rig over the Capra. I need to thin my herd....this one might be hard to not pick up...

Hey, thanks Jato. Yep, that's exactly it!
Seems like a point of high failure on the axle housing. The top piece is replaceable, but the bottom does not appear to be. Is that correct? This is going to be a high friction/wear area especially when dirt, grit and mud get in there. Good thing plastic axle housings are cheap.

Seems like a point of high failure on the axle housing. The top piece is replaceable, but the bottom does not appear to be. Is that correct? This is going to be a high friction/wear area especially when dirt, grit and mud get in there. Good thing plastic axle housings are cheap.
That is an interesting thought. Yes the bottom half of the steering mount is molded into the housing. Could the outer removable piece sustain damage? It sure looks possible, but I do not appear to have hit it just yet. I guess time will tell. I would not be great design for a mudder.

Here are some close up profile shots of the steering mech. It's sits back of the bumper above and thankfully it's not forward of the housing midline so does have some shelter.

Edit: it does appear to protrude a bit forward , though high enough on the housing that you would have to bash an undercut rock to really nail it
1000009371.jpg1000009373.jpg1000009374.jpg1000009375.jpg

Those really are good looking trucks. Been seeing a lot of ring gear failures though.

Some guys are breaking the teeth off. People installing brushless systems and forgetting how the throttle works mostly from what I've seen. You let off when the wheels stop. šŸ˜†
Gotcha. Pretty sure the the gears in the Optic are sintered. Guys who have been around a day understand that upgrading to machined gears goes hand in hand with parts -breaking power.

Looking good in here smog.

Iā€™ve noticed a lot of negative feedback on fb about this rig also.

Some people are mad vp got into the rtr game and mostly left high end kits behind.

Some people are likely experiencing normal failures consideringā€¦

And others could break a ball bearing in a padded room.

Iā€™m excited to get mine and hopefully put a few miles on it before rain season hits again.

Looking good in here smog.

Iā€™ve noticed a lot of negative feedback on fb about this rig also.

Some people are mad vp got into the rtr game and mostly left high end kits behind.

Some people are likely experiencing normal failures consideringā€¦

And others could break a ball bearing in a padded room.

Iā€™m excited to get mine and hopefully put a few miles on it before rain season hits again.
I would have definitely preferred an upgraded version in kit form. It seems likely that will come in time. Brandon at VP seemed receptive to the idea on their live stream. Personally I really like the platform. If/when the kit comes out I would definitely get another.
Next upgrade for me will be the tires. The Yokahamas are okay, but I think I want something wider. To boot, the VP red compound is so soft and thin the tires are twisting around themselves. It's kinda bonkers. The summer heat is stretching them like rubber bands.

The other issue I've seen is people complaining about the tires rubbing through. I guess on the knuckle? Not enough offset on the wheels?

I have no experience with the Yokos. Are the sidewalls on those super thin like the VXT2s? I watched WDW's vid of them compared to the Tusks and they really were struggling in that. Neither set was really broken in though so not sure if that would have helped any.

The other issue I've seen is people complaining about the tires rubbing through. I guess on the knuckle? Not enough offset on the wheels?

I have no experience with the Yokos. Are the sidewalls on those super thin like the VXT2s? I watched WDW's vid of them compared to the Tusks and they really were struggling in that. Neither set was really broken in though so not sure if that would have helped any.
I haven't tried the VXT2, but the sidewall is very thin and stretchy. The Yoko's did pretty well the first couple of days out but seem to be getting worse as the summer temps rise. This past weekend they actually started to piss me off....lol. Bad sign. I was considering some VP dual stage foams foams for them, but think I am going to jump over to a Proline Trep in G8 or a JConcepts tire in the green compound.
I did notice some minor rubbing on one of my steering knuckles . I threw on a slightly wider hex in the front if I remember correctly. Added maybe 2mm of track with up front. It was really minor

Back