• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Marc's XR10 "The little Tank"

Are those motor plates made by Amok? They look really nice "thumbsup"

hi EverettY

yes, they are made by Amok. They are a bit different to the vanquish plates. all 3 bearings are 5x10mm. That means, you need one more for each plate. vanquish uses 2x 5x10mm and 1x 5x9mm bearing.

Marc

i started to work on my motor plates. it need some grinding work on the bearing holes and the whole shape of the plates to make them fit perfect. on the link mount side i had to reduce the thickness of the plate about 0.5mm. like this it fits perfect in the axle housing.

now i have to wait for the additional bearings to finish the first axle.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Marc

some guys asked me to build my chassis parts for them or to give the mesurements of it.
Because of no time to build more chassis parts, here are all mesurements of the two parts you need.

Use 2.0mm carbon at minimum. Especially for the "ears". I tested 1.5mm and it broke after a few tests.

I also decided to give a name to the chassis-type. I call it "shape-shifter" :mrgreen:

file.php

i hope the drawing is OK like this...

Very impotant!: I have no idea if it works with other links or shocks!

My links are Chaotic Titan Links for the original XR10 Chassis. Shocks are SCX10 plastic shocks (increased length with longer rodends)

Length of the posts between skid (original XR10 skid) and Chassis plate is 11mm. I think it will also work with 10mm. Take axial 10mm posts. They work perfect!

Marc

I have to throw away my carbon motor plates :twisted:

i tried everything to make them fit perfect. but the gears don't move as smooth as with the vanquish alu plates.

So this investment was for this :flipoff:

Now I can start making my own carbon wheels... i hope they will become better than the motor plates...

last weekend we had our first 2013 comp (indoor). i reached 3rd place. this is ok for a first test with the "shape shifter" chassis. but still far away from Manu (racer_zh).

here is the link to all the pics and vids of the comp:

www.rccrawler.ch • Thema anzeigen - Bilder & Videos SMC Winter Crawler Comp 23.2.2013

file.php

yesterday i already started my work on the setup. my motors were much too deep. so i installed steel links for testing the perfect length of the links for ideal height of the motors. after the test i will build carbon links again with the correct length.

file.php

for more pressure on the front axle, i changed the springs from losi mini-t soft to losi mini-t hard. perhaps i will go back to medium (green). it feels almost a bit too hard now.

file.php

at the rear i installed losi MRC soft instead of losi mini-t soft. have to do some tests to find out what's better.

file.php

last change in the setup is the rear upper links. they were in the upper hole of the link mount. now they are in the middle one.

file.php

here are two mods i did before the comp, but didn't post them already. grinded the front drive shafts until they work smooth up to around 60 degrees of steering angle. also cutted the top of the knuckle weights to get lower CG.

file.php

file.php

i will comment the result of the changes asap.

BR,
Marc

Looking good...and nice driving at the comp! I'm curious how much weight you have on each front knuckle now that you've modified them.

here are two mods i did before the comp, but didn't post them already. grinded the front drive shafts until they work smooth up to around 60 degrees of steering angle. also cutted the top of the knuckle weights to get lower CG.

file.php

Hey Mark, Im curious which grinding tool bit did you use to do this grinding ?. Nice build by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Mark, Im curious which grinding tool bit did you use to do this grinding ?. Nice build by the way.

Thanks in advance.

hi,

i used a dremel with a already used cutting disc which was smaller in diameter than a new one. you just have to be careful by grinding like this. but it works well.

Marc

Last week i did some new mods on my rig.

first of all is the new shape-shifter 2.0 chassis. it is 10mm less wide than the first shape-shifter. That gives more space to the rear upper links for more setup opitions.

Old weight was 12g, 2.0 version is 11g

shape-shifter 1.0 on the left, 2.0 on the right...

file.php

also a new carbon servo-plate. it makes it possible to move the servo closer to the center of the axle. also more space for the right front tire when steering full left.

file.php

the new servo position...

file.php

made some new upper links out of some 4mm carbon and RPM rodends.

file.php

file.php

grinded down the parts which give the preload for the shock springs (i don't know the correct word for them...)

file.php

cutted the basic knuckle weights for better CG...

file.php

and took away the esc and receiver housing just to lose a few gramms...

file.php

finally some pics of the new shape-shifter 2.0 chassis...

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I would suggest running a brace between the rear shock support arms. Yes it's carbon fiber but it does flex and you are only screwed into delrin on that skid. Go a bit longer on the shock screws and use a delrin brace or even an aluminum one, then you wouldn't have to go too long on the screws. Plus that would give you a spot to rig up a rear mount for the body and keep it from flopping around.

Last edited:
I would suggest running a brace between the rear shock support arms. Yes it's carbon fiber but it does flex and you are only screwed into delrin on that skid. Go a bit longer on the shock screws and use a delrin brace or even an aluminum one, then you wouldn't have to go too long on the screws. Plus that would give you a spot to rig up a rear mount for the body and keep it from flopping around.

Thanks for you input "thumbsup"

The upper links will be higher than the brace if the shocks are fully compressed. That's why i didn't do it already. but i will find s solution if the flex is too much.

The flopping body i what i want. if the skid scratches on the rocks the body lifts up to move smooth over the rocks. but i'm still testing. this is not the final build i think.

Back