• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style

Wow, looks like somebody is having fun with breaking things :) I think I'm going to hold off on putting either my VXL or my 4600kv brushless in there when it arrives. I'll wait till there are some stronger driveshafts and gears. One question, is there enough space in there for a puller motor? I've been thinking about getting one for this but I'm not sure that it will fit.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/jtbusa/4033e82d.jpg[/IMG]

Luckily that driveshaft is still driveable, you should be able to get a few more packs out of it. You can also take a look at some of the spare parts we included and will find a couple different lengths of the driveshaft in there and can use those if it does break. You may not have the ideal length, but at least you can piece something together until you can get a replacement.

If you do disassemble the driveshafts just make sure that you threadlock and torque the M3x8mm flat head screw that holds the plastic to the metal coupler. To the point where you start to see a little deflection on the outside of the plastic, but not so far that the screw interferes with the CV joint. The goal here is to make sure that the contact between where the metal keys into the plastic stays tight and there is no possible way it can vibrate loose.

If you are going to be running some of the higher torque systems or the larger size brushless motors I would recommend switching out the pinion and spur gear to 32P. The larger gear pitch is a little noisier, but it will be less likely to strip.

FM2062~Quagmire-Posters.jpg

I was going to put it in this one but decided not to. The next one will be a rear steer and dig truck. It should be here after the first batch hits.*

32P it is then! At least with Harley doing all this torture testing I'll know what needs to go on the upgrade list, so far it doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary when going with more power. I'll chalk the knuckle up to bad luck but after seeing what he has done to the drivetrain I would like to stronger driveshaft (an aluminum one would be awesome :D ) before putting in my motor. Enjoy the Wraith Harley and keep us updated.

Wow, looks like somebody is having fun with breaking things :) I think I'm going to hold off on putting either my VXL or my 4600kv brushless in there when it arrives. I'll wait till there are some stronger driveshafts and gears. One question, is there enough space in there for a puller motor? I've been thinking about getting one for this but I'm not sure that it will fit.

If you do go big power you will chase parts. The stock motor is a ton of fun and not really in née of changing unless you blow it up like me...

I don't think a Puller will fit. I don't think it will clear the upper link mount.

How is the stock servo holding up? Are you planning on chucking it? When do you think you will be getting the skins back? The truck looks sick in stock trim, but I'm sure everyone will need something different right away.

Luckily that driveshaft is still driveable, you should be able to get a few more packs out of it. You can also take a look at some of the spare parts we included and will find a couple different lengths of the driveshaft in there and can use those if it does break. You may not have the ideal length, but at least you can piece something together until you can get a replacement.

If you do disassemble the driveshafts just make sure that you threadlock and torque the M3x8mm flat head screw that holds the plastic to the metal coupler. To the point where you start to see a little deflection on the outside of the plastic, but not so far that the screw interferes with the CV joint. The goal here is to make sure that the contact between where the metal keys into the plastic stays tight and there is no possible way it can vibrate loose.

If you are going to be running some of the higher torque systems or the larger size brushless motors I would recommend switching out the pinion and spur gear to 32P. The larger gear pitch is a little noisier, but it will be less likely to strip.

Going to 32 pitch is a great idea, I will definitely do that. I didn't see the spare shafts yet either, thanks for the heads up!

I was going to put it in this one but decided not to. The next one will be a rear steer and dig truck. It should be here after the first batch hits.*
I have one that's been sitting on the shelf awhile, I will give it a shot when my Wraith gets here. "thumbsup"

How is the stock servo holding up? Are you planning on chucking it? When do you think you will be getting the skins back? The truck looks sick in stock trim, but I'm sure everyone will need something different right away.

The servo had seemed to do just fine actually. I will change it out though just to get more power and run all Futaba gear.

I will say that the RX on the AXIAL radio is TINY! They did a great job with that.

Thanks for the review and info, Harley. Quick electronics questions for you.... Did you run 3s on the stock ESC without any problems other than needing a BEC for the steering? I don't suppose the Axial rx will bind to a Futaba tx, will it? Wishful thinking, I suppose. :ror:

The servo had seemed to do just fine actually. I will change it out though just to get more power and run all Futaba gear.

I will say that the RX on the AXIAL radio is TINY! They did a great job with that.

That's cool to know, now go tell futaba to make us some tiny ones, and make my momentary switch momentary on my 4pk..

Oh wait wraith thread. My bad :mrgreen:

Thanks for the review and info, Harley. Quick electronics questions for you.... Did you run 3s on the stock ESC without any problems other than needing a BEC for the steering? I don't suppose the Axial rx will bind to a Futaba tx, will it? Wishful thinking, I suppose. :ror:

All I ran with it is 3s so far. I never tried binding with the futaba but I am doubting it.

you guys are killing me! more and more keep popping up, but still no idea when mine is coming.:flipoff: great job as the breakage tester Harley!! can you leak some of the other ideas of things your doing to yours?

I know what you mean 4ondflr. All I know is that it just makes me want mine even more. It's like a tease, just means we are atleast 3 people closer to getting ours.

Back