• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Slow ass super build

Looking good Robert! Sounds like your getting comfortable with the rig.

Thanks Michael, yeah it's getting a little more comfortable to drive, all of the buttons are feeling better now "thumbsup". I love this rig :mrgreen:.

I ordered a couple sets of cvd pin's from Gunner , i'll be removing the axle shafts this week to check out and if nessecery I'll replace the pin's and or axles themselves if I've worked them too hard.Will also be a great time to check all the bearings too.

Last edited:
Rig is looking great Bob. Until Erin gets his mess up and running, you'll have to come up and run with us in Phoenix. This weekend, just 15 minutes north of Florence...."thumbsup"

Okay boys and girls, a little tech topic.

The cvd pins for the super bully axle shafts are not the stongest link in these axles and due to one bent one I did a little research.
I ordered pins from 2 vendors to compare to stock. My results are as follows;
Stock Bully pin is .096" O.D.
Gunner's pin's are .093" O.D.
McMaster Carr pin's are .098" O.D.

The .098 pin's (part# 91595A070 for 50 pieces) fit nice in the cvd and has a shear strenght of 1,100 lbs.
They are 1mm longer than stock and have a chamfer on one end so that is the end I removed material from to fit properly so the pin lock will slide on the stub.

Gunner's pin's are exactly the right length and the fit is pretty close to the stock pin in fit, and the pin lock slid right on. And you don't have to buy 50 @ $5.00 shipping either.

Next, I was having an issue with end play in the axle shaft stub and knuckle, the axle would move in and out approx. .039".
So,,,,,,,, I looked around and finnally found a 8mm wave washer that is .032" thick, I flatened the washer and installed between the knuckle/bearing and the hex to achieve approx. .003" end play "thumbsup".
I found the wave washers at Lowes, 10 for .89 cents.

Anyhow, back to work.:twisted:

Last edited:
Well did the axle shaft rebuild. Used the new pin's (after removing 1mm from each one) and like the feel of them, less wiggle in the joint now "thumbsup", also have zero end play in the shafts/bearings with the wave washer between the outer knuckle/bearing and the hex "thumbsup", both mods are a great improvement IMO.
Had to replace 3 bearings, all knuckle bearings, 2 inner 1 outer.
I also changed my battery plugs from EC3's to Dean's, something I've been meaning to do for quite some time now.
I am gonna lower the front of the rear upper links a couple holes too, Sure hope my rig will perform well for the comp, I know I have done everything to my rig that I wanted to do so,,,,,,,,,:mrgreen:

I have to give one more observation; I noticed after I got the wheels back on that what I thought was entirely all play in the diff gears was partly the slop in the stock pin's. Just by swapping to a .002" thicker pin makes a "BIG" differance "thumbsup". Also the wave washer's took all of that wheel slop (in and out movement) away too :twisted:.

Alrighty, got her all back together :twisted:, Made a new set of skins for her too "thumbsup".
Took her out back to my rock pile and ran it a little while, I think she is ready to work, now if the driver can do his work :mrgreen:.
I have the Rovers back on, but will have the set of Boss Claws with me next weekend to see what works best down at Gates Pass. I've been working another set of tires too for a while, I'm going to try to have them done too by the comp.
I'm gonna stay with the 3s lipo's for now, did'nt get around to ordering the larger cap's to run the 4s' I have.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 567
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 567
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 572
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 568
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 557
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 571
Shes looking really good Bob. I think the rest of the slop is left it the locker engagement.

Almost got this nightmare of wires under wraps, she might run tonight. Looks like I'll be at gates pass everyday after work to get some time on her

Shes looking really good Bob. I think the rest of the slop is left it the locker engagement.

Almost got this nightmare of wires under wraps, she might run tonight. Looks like I'll be at gates pass everyday after work to get some time on her

Since I'm only 15 minutes from North Mountain park I'll be running up there a couple times this week.
Pic's?

Well I got a little driving time in. Made a couple more adjustments too.
I had earlier drilled a lower front upper link mount hole, well after driving a little while it seemed like the rear would try to backflip going up steep inclines once in a while so I spaced out the upper fronts with 1/2" spacers on each side to spread out the pivot point and it seemed to help with that issue, and adjusted the springs a touch tighter in the rear.
Glad I got out , it's raining this morning. :evil:

Back