• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Slow ass super build

No worries Creeperbob those were some tough courses and you need to remember that the competition is the best of the best!!!! there is always next time!!!

OUCH! Thats all I can say about my super skills (skills? :lmao:), Had a great time at the comp and camping, the weather was fantastic and met a lot of great people.

Anybody can drive those little rigs. The supers take a true driver to manuever around those gates. Keep practicing...sooner or later it will just click! After that, they are pure fun!

Anybody can drive those little rigs. The supers take a true driver to manuever around those gates. Keep practicing...sooner or later it will just click! After that, they are pure fun!

I will agree I have more fun driving my super than the 2.2"thumbsup"

Agreed! They take a LOT of practice until it becomes second nature and you arent having to think about what to do with the radio.

It was good to meet you and your wife, Bob. "thumbsup"

exactly, look at me, didn't fare so well either:oops:

If I could just keep track of that rear steer, lol

I will agree I have more fun driving my super than the 2.2"thumbsup"

Agreed! They take a LOT of practice until it becomes second nature and you arent having to think about what to do with the radio.

It was good to meet you and your wife, Bob. "thumbsup"

I do agree this rig is very fun to drive, and very intense to comp :twisted:,
thanks for all the encouargement guys, I'll drive her a lot.

And same to you Jeremy, and thats a nice rig ya got :mrgreen:.

Well this is the latest update, ordered this tuesday :mrgreen:.
Homemade RC parts coming soon (I hope) :twisted:.
Man, I went and priced some steel to build a stand for my new toy and I can't get over how much steel has gone up in a couple years. One 20' stick of 2"X2"X 1/4" wall tubing is $109 :shock:. I'll need two sticks of that and then a 10' piece of 4"X4" wide flange I beam, plus a chip tray.

1/4" wall seems to be overkill to me too...but im not machinist and have no experience setting up heavy machines like that. It just seems like if a roll cage in a built 1:1 rig can be .120 wall and take quite a few good hits then why would a 683lb machine need twice the thickness?

Very cool.

As for tubing, I wouldn't use more than .120 wall for it in my shop...and I have, and have built, plenty of work tables that hold well over 2,000 lbs without issue for years. Shoot, I have one 4'x6.5' table in my shop, that I've easily had over 1,000 on, and daily have 750ish on, that I built with .062 wall 1" square (welded seam no less) with only 4 vertical posts and a 1/8" thick steel top, and it's just like new...even tho it's 7 years old and has been used heavily/daily. That table is on 4x 500 lb casters so I can move heavy stuff around easily :mrgreen:

1/4" wall seems to be overkill to me too...but im not machinist and have no experience setting up heavy machines like that. It just seems like if a roll cage in a built 1:1 rig can be .120 wall and take quite a few good hits then why would a 683lb machine need twice the thickness?

Yes I agree, 1/8" wall should be fine (and cheaper), I still want to use I beam stringers under the actual lathe bed. I figure I'll use 1" nuts welded in the bottom of the legs with 1" bolts for levelers.
It shipped yesterday from Michigan so I expect to see it next Thursday or so, I honestly have to admit I'm excited like a (as my wife said) little boy :mrgreen:.
They told me the truck will have a lift gate , but this is what got me, they said they will only drop it at the end of my driveway :roll:, I guess I'll try to ask the driver to back in my driveway and drop it in front of my garage door. I hope they will be courtious about it.

Last edited:
Very cool.

As for tubing, I wouldn't use more than .120 wall for it in my shop...and I have, and have built, plenty of work tables that hold well over 2,000 lbs without issue for years. Shoot, I have one 4'x6.5' table in my shop, that I've easily had over 1,000 on, and daily have 750ish on, that I built with .062 wall 1" square (welded seam no less) with only 4 vertical posts and a 1/8" thick steel top, and it's just like new...even tho it's 7 years old and has been used heavily/daily. That table is on 4x 500 lb casters so I can move heavy stuff around easily :mrgreen:

Thanks Billet Man, .062" wall :shock:, I think I'll go with .125 wall 2" tubing for main stand and 1" for bracing , similiar to SkaldDog's stand. I do want to build a chip tray to save coolant from flowing all over the garage floor.

Nice combo unit, your gonna have a blast creating all kinds of new additions to your super. Nice build too!

Back