• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Helping Hands or Third Hand for Soldering

I’ve got the first one you pictured, it’s been a life saver for me and wish I’d bought one sooner. Only other thing I kind of wish I got is one with a light but that’s a catch 22, I like that I don’t have to have it plugged in. I use a snap on magnet strip to hold it off the side of my shelf
The QuadHands or a generic one? I'm just not certain I'd like the alligator clips. They aren't the best for holding XT60 connectors. And if those arms are flimsy that would drive me nuts too. How heavy is the base?

In terms of light, I just got this Ryobi clamp light and magnifier on sale for $30 on Direct Tools Outlet. Their "Factory Blemished" tools have always flawless for me and I haven't been able to find the blemish. My intention is to use it with soldering, etc.

The QuadHands or a generic one? I'm just not certain I'd like the alligator clips. They aren't the best for holding XT60 connectors. And if those arms are flimsy that would drive me nuts too. How heavy is the base?

In terms of light, I just got this Ryobi clamp light and magnifier on sale for $30 on Direct Tools Outlet. Their "Factory Blemished" tools have always flawless for me and I haven't been able to find the blemish. My intention is to use it with soldering, etc.

Jato, have you seen these Generic heat sink holders m8y? > HERE

Maybe not a solution if wanting to just buy something and be done with it. Adjustability and a heavy base are also a plus with these other devices but this one works surprisingly well and cost me all of $3 for a pkg of asst alligator clips. I like that it's compact and simple. One side is equipped with small alligator clips spaced closer together and on the other side are larger clips spaced further apart. Clips are attached with socket heads and standard nuts.

I got the quad hands, I’ll get you a weight later can possibly send you a video if need be. The arms take some effort to move and stay in place. I haven’t used it a ton but the gator clips unscrew and I put one or 2 without the rubber grips on.

DIY for the win!
lol It works! Like jato was saying... those little thumb screws are just annoying on the "classic" helping hands device. I hardly ever use mine anymore... Too many adjustment points and something is always too lose or too tight to be able to use it effectively/ efficiently. The one I made lacks a weighted base but for most soldering jobs I find that I don't need really need that weight as long as I can secure the two wires/ ends parallel with each other. And having things already tinned/ loaded with solder helps to free up my other hand. Once in place I can use my free hand to adjust the position of the wires if need be. I posted ( then deleted) earlier in this thread that I sometimes use 3M tape to hold things in place on my work surface but that's only sufficient on smaller gauge wiring until the tape heats up and comes lose.

Have you used them before? I thought of buying one on aliexpress
forgot to post a pic.

full

Back