• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style

Wow, just read the whole thread today. Didn't get much done at work, oops!

Love your Wraith! I just got one last week but can't play till xmas. It's 75% for me, 25% my ~3yo son.

As such, I was planning on putting a 55t motor in. You say it's too slow and you need wheelspeed, but on the flipside, when I let Finn play with it inside to start with, I don't want him destroying the joint like he does with the current 'toy' rc cars.
I am also new to crawling and havent had an RC car at all for years, so I don't mind it being annoyingly slow to start with and then speeding it up later as the boy gets the hang of it. I will still have the stock motor if I need it faster.
I was also toying with changing the spur & pinion to reduce the gearing to the same effect.

With my use-case in mind, do you think the 55t would be OK? I can always put the 20t back if I can't bear it. I was also planning on some cheap NiMh to start with but this thread has got me pondering just getting a 2S for longer life...

Man, I also now want to put all these siny Vanquish parts on it! Boy am I going to be in trouble, it was hard enough justifying $300 for the RTR kit, now I have to justify shiny titanium and aluminium, eek! *restrains*

And again, thanks in advance Josh, for providing all this testing, advice and info to the community!

Newbie Tom...

Tom actually a 55t may be a really good choice for you (more so your son). I would suggest taking the nut off the slipper setup and putting some loctite on it. Then you can leave it on a more loose setting and it won't come off (prone to happen unless you have it very tight). This will really save parts if your son puts it in a bind and puts the hammer down! :ror:

I would suggest 2s lipo for sure. You can get some great run times, sure to keep your son entertained for long enough for you to still have some run time too. I would go for something in the 5000 mah range. I run a 5250 in mine (3s) and when we have get togethers I run the same pack for several hours (although we aren't driving non-stop).

Good luck man, have fun!

and then !!
could be ??

alt015.jpg

alt016.jpg

Hi been skipping through your thread Loads of grate info, love the look of your lowered wraith are they stock shocks from the scx10, how does this affect the crawling ability as I mainly want mine for crawling and trailing, regards rich

Hi been skipping through your thread Loads of grate info, love the look of your lowered wraith are they stock shocks from the scx10, how does this affect the crawling ability as I mainly want mine for crawling and trailing, regards rich

I run the Proline Power Stroke shocks for the front of a Slash 4x4. The SCX10 shocks were too small of a diameter to give the Wraith proper dampening. I use mine mainly for Trail and Crawling as well. I really like them. Watch the videos on the first page to see how I use mine mainly (when I wasn't running brushless).

The chassis is looking good! Thanks for the panhard video. Very nice quality vid and great closeup slow shots of the wraith. I think it's official...I might have to put something on my christmas list!8)

Josh - Will the standard wraith VP Draglink work w/ the CMS kit ? Or do i need a specific dl.. Thanks in advance..

Question: Your metal chassis replacement bits that DWG(?) did. Are they made using brake line like in a lot of chassis I have been reading about lately, or something more spesh?

Mmm I like it. That's what I thought it looked like.

Maybe this is a good hobby for me to practice my TIG welding on (Got a TIG welder last year as I will be building a Lotus 7 replica)

OK so after wavering even more on the chassis choices I was thinking before I have changed directions again. I wanted to do the Blue Crush JK but after the scale event a few weeks ago I realized that I didn't want to baby the rig like others with hard bodies were having to do.

So now I have chose the new chassis direction....some of you may get the reference when I say it will be a cookie cutter rig 8)

Going to start drawing some stuff up tonight so I can give it all to Jerry this weekend.

Back