• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Harley's Axial Wraith Build - Jimmy's 4x4 Ultra 4 KOH Style

Shock mount parts are done!

PhotoGrid_1362577717246.jpg

You going to try your hand tig welding the shock mounts ?

I got an extra set made so I can do one with the MIG and one with the TIG.

I have to get a new hood first though, my existing auto hood is not working for TIG. It keeps flashing me no matter what setting I'm using. Not going to keep risking it with that one. If my hood doesn't show up today I'll probably just MIG weld a set and get them installed.

Something like that for the front would be awesome. Lets see what you can draw up for that one. If they look anywhere near as good as those they'll be bad ass fore sure.

I got an extra set made so I can do one with the MIG and one with the TIG.

I have to get a new hood first though, my existing auto hood is not working for TIG. It keeps flashing me no matter what setting I'm using. Not going to keep risking it with that one. If my hood doesn't show up today I'll probably just MIG weld a set and get them installed.

I got this miller hood for work. I love it!

Miller Welding Helmet - Titanium 9400i Digital Auto Dark Lens 256177

Check out the rest of the store, they got good prices and free shipping.

Agree with Andy!

Last edited:
Something like that for the front would be awesome. Lets see what you can draw up for that one. If they look anywhere near as good as those they'll be bad ass fore sure.

My thought is to incorporate the shock mounts, steering servo, panhard, ESC mount, battery area, and new Tziworld winch into some sort of new setup. I would like to get the shocks mounted in double shear as well. I would like to improve the workability of the truck, some components were fairly hard to maintain.

I think I will try a low-tech approach to making something similar. Make it out of one piece and bend into a box structure.
Then braze or solder the joints... I dont have access to a plasma cutter. :shock:

I think I will try a low-tech approach to making something similar. Make it out of one piece and bend into a box structure.
Then braze or solder the joints... I dont have access to a plasma cutter. :shock:

That's what I did for my other pieces previously. Having the work done with a plasma is definitely not a must. However it sure was easy!

II can't say I know what his minimum order size is but if you have CAD drawings he could quote out whatever you want.

The next thing I did was a tummy tuck. I always wanted a little different setup for the skid plate. Since raising the skid plate will raise the transmission I needed to double check that there was enough clearance between the motor/trans and the interior. No issues.

20130303_204830.jpg

20130303_204821.jpg

1/4" square stock drilled and welded in.

20130303_214412.jpg

The difference in height.

20130303_214352.jpg

I removed the boat side skins and I will replace them when everything is finished. I will probably do a bolt on Delrin panel to help things slide better as well as hide the skid plate bolts.

20130303_215653.jpg

Quick question about the tummy tuck since raising the skid plate raises the link mounts wouldn't lowering the shock mounts an equal amount achieve the same result? unless the tummy tuck was done for another reason besides ground clearance. Btw your builds always look awesome.

Quick question about the tummy tuck since raising the skid plate raises the link mounts wouldn't lowering the shock mounts an equal amount achieve the same result? unless the tummy tuck was done for another reason besides ground clearance. Btw your builds always look awesome.

It would be able to achieve the same thing. However this method will bring the belly height up without raising the rest of the chassis. It also was done to make the belly look cleaner when the boat sides are installed.

Tonight was very productive. I went a picked up a welding hood on the way home so that I could try and work with the new TIG.

I got home and went down to the shop to get to work. This was the first time really using the TIG and I knew there was going to be a learning curve. By the end of the second shock tower though, I was very pleased with how things were flowing!

I took a picture of my welds before I cleaned them up. They aren't very pretty yet but with < 1 hour of experience I am OK with that.

20130306_215631.jpg

20130306_205551.jpg

Tonight was very productive. I went a picked up a welding hood on the way home so that I could try and work with the new TIG.

I got home and went down to the shop to get to work. This was the first time really using the TIG and I knew there was going to be a learning curve. By the end of the second shock tower though, I was very pleased with how things were flowing!

I took a picture of my welds before I cleaned them up. They aren't very pretty yet but with < 1 hour of experience I am OK with that.

20130306_215631.jpg

20130306_205551.jpg

Quote for the new page...

Back