• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Sin's 70 Series Landcruiser Build

SinCity

Quarry Creeper
As a few of you know, I hang out mostly in the Georgia chapter, SCX-10 forum, and the classified. I own a fully built 100 Series Land Cruiser. If you know anything about the Land Cruiser it's a legendary off road vehicle that is primarily designed for 3rd world countries, the UN buys 6 a day! Toyota may make you think of a economy car, but they make some of the most reliable and toughest 4X4 trucks in the world. The 70 Series Land Cruiser is iconic in many countries and the Land Cruiser is known in Australia as the car that built Australia. Toyota never released the 70 Series in the US, or North America for that matter. I've always dreamed of owning one, but with the paper work, import fees, it would cost several hundred thousand to import a 2011 70 Series. Only a few have done this, I will do it one day if I can ever afford it. I would rather have a brand new 70 Series than a Ferrari or exotic.

I was surfing the classified one day and came accross a 70 Series Land Cruiser on a Trail Finder chassis. I instantly fell in love and bought it.

eburyheh.jpg

A few specs on it:

Body: Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter's Pick-up. This Was Produced by Discovery Comunications in 2001. The Truck is 18" Long and 7-1/2" Tall. They are no longer being made, so incredibly rare hard body.

Chassis: Is a custom TF1 chassis extended about 1.5" at the center skid

Transmission: 16:1 RC4WD red planetary

Transfer case: I think is a GCM. not positive on the brand, but it's a 1:1

Axles: T60 ARB Edition F/R

Leafs: soft reds with helpers leafs in the rear, and highlift leafs in the front

Wheels: 1.9 G-made VR01 black (brand new)

Tires: 1.9 Military tires

61629_4720624340794_1490770051_n.jpg

527481_4720625940834_1471942945_n.jpg

522368_4720626580850_1917514825_n.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After that picture, I have taken ownership and the build will take a wild turn.

Once I got it I tore it down and gave the body/frame a good bath. Soaked the tires in cleaning solution and detailed the tread/rims with another cleaning solution to really make them pop. The previous owner removed all the electronics so I had to source them to get this thing running.

I have picked up the following for the build:

Trail Finder Chassis
Land Cruiser 70 Series Body
T-60 Axles fully built with aluminum knuckles, c-hubs, ARB diff covers (in the mail), CVD's, HD lockers.
Mamba Max ESC
Axial 27T Brushed motor
Hitech HS645MG Digital Servo with aluminum horn (may go into my Class 1 XJ, stronger than my XJ's servo)
FS-GT3B TX and FS GR-3C RX.
Mud Plugger 1.9 Military Tires

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I do have some rather large plans for this rig. I'll be fabricating a ARB winch bumper for the front and a dual carrier for the rear with a metal replacement bed/rack as well. She needs a little touch up work on the front end, the glue on the light buckets and corner lamps are hazing over. I'll need to remove and buff it off and re-glue with a clear epoxy, frame is painted a military green, powdercoating with a 35% gloss black and the body is being shot in a gun metal grey color in a automotive paint booth, Interior is missing a few things, I'll be picking up some styrene and scale diamond plating to spruce things up inside and out. The leaf spring mounts sit a little low, ill have to find a way to shift them up or reposition so the bumper can mount a little closer. I could go coil overs in the front and chop the frame slightly to allow a tighter bumper, but the 70 came with leafs, want to keep it that way.

Something similar to this: (although not as aggressive)
attachment.php

attachment.php

I began early last night mocking up the axle position, I used the aluminum coil over mounts for the T-60's to mount them on the leaf springs, I still have a little work to do for them to mount 100%. I'll be cutting part of the mount off, and counter sinking a bolt/nut to secure the leafs properly, I could spend $40 to get the right mounts, but these seem to be working perfectly...time will tell. I started bending some 1/8" steel tubing to make the fender guards and sliders. I have gotten in touch with a good friend who has a paint shop and powder coating setup, this will be last on the list since I want to get all the tubing and mounts welded and mounted properly before I start painting. I have already made a styrene bumper for the rear, needs a little tweaking but looks pretty darn good. The front bumper is going to be tricky becuase the way the leaf springs mount and the body. I may mount the "ARB" replica to the body as its' a hardbody. I did copy some of this from my post on another forum, so I may of already said a few things. Needless to say I am very excited to begin, I will be mounted the electronics this weekend and hopefully have it somewhat running by next weekend.

Current Issues I am facing and not quite sure how to deal with it:
1) I picked up a Hitech HS645MG servo, however the motor is mounted upfront and it's very tight, so I'm not sure where I'll be mounting the servo
2) The Axial 27T motors colar is too large to fit into the transmission. I will need to either bore the whole out with a press or buy a new motor, I'm not sure what I want to do yet.
3) T-60 Axles are about 0.5" to wide upfront, I am brainstorming on how I will shorten them. I am thinking I will take them apart and cut the housings, shafts and re-assemble. I will be welding the shafts back together, so hopefully they are steel. I don't know a lot about the T-60's, nor Trail Finders. I'm actually quite a noob with RC Crawlers...
4) There is NO room to mount a large battery, barely enough to mount a RX and ESC. I may be making a "utility" box to house the battery on the bed, however I don't want to have a heavy battery on one side. I may have to go saddle packs or a much smaller battery.

This rig isn't going to be wheeled hard, it will see minimal wheeling time, and it'll be very very mild. I plan on truly going all out on this thing, it'll be getting a true automotive paint job with clear coat, full powder coating, and mandrel bent tubing all the way around. It weighs more than my fully built SCX-10 XJ already, I haven't even started on the tube work or electronics! So I don't think it'll crawl to well.

Anyways, I'll update as I progress through my build stages, this will be a long build, over the next couple of months and possibly a year. I'm not going to rush this build like I have before. I have found out that getting that instant gratification soon leads to instant second purchase for the part I should of used. My username is "Sin City", it will be a very aggressive yet OEM build, dark, classy, and flawless...

Last edited:
Those pictures of the rear cage look awfully familiar. "thumbsup"

It's funny. That truck is part of the reason why I bought the three 70 series bodies I have. Glad to see it is still loved.

If you need a replacement "tray" you can have mine for the cost of shipping. It's not cut up at all. I took it off at the beginning of the build and won't be using it again.

Last edited:
So cool to see a few 70 series builds lately instead of just lux's

Even a 60 series in the 1.55 section.

I too have this body and tray,well,the Radio Shack version and will be doing a build with it too...

Cant wait to see where you take this.

My iphone corrects it. I didn't even notice. The badges say "Landcruiser", however the proper name for the LC's is infact "Toyota Land Cruiser", so two words. I've seen it spelled both ways, 99.9% of the people don't even notice.

Thanks for the compliments, I ordered the RC4WD leaf spring mounts, I tried making my own but didn't turn out to good.

Pixelnate: Thanks for the offer, I'll see where I stand with the build in a few weeks when I get around to the metal work. So far I've mounted nothing other than the body and axles. I wish I had more time to work on this stuff but it seems like the second I opened the box, I became very very busy. Sucks but that's life!

Updates to come later today...if I can mess with it.

Last edited:
Awesome...I just re-read my post on my iPhone corrected everything to Landcruiser. Time for a little editing!

My iphone corrects it. I didn't even notice. The badges say "Landcruiser", however the proper name for the LC's is infact "Toyota Landcruiser", so two words. I've seen it spelled both ways, 99.9% of the people don't even notice.

I don't mean to be a stickler here, but it's not "Landcruiser". It's two words: "Land" and "Cruiser". The badges do not say "Landcruiser". They say "Land Cruiser". Hence, two words, each with a capital denoting the separation.

You can see the kerning between the two words is wider than the rest of the letters as well.

I don't mean to be a stickler here, but it's not "Landcruiser". It's two words: "Land" and "Cruiser". The badges do not say "Landcruiser". They say "Land Cruiser". Hence, two words, each with a capital denoting the separation.

You can see the kerning between the two words is wider than the rest of the letters as well.

hmmmm...I never really thought about that. I'm on IH8MUD, been on since 2008, and I have never really seen anybody correct anybody. It's one of those things that doesn't really matter. I do admit I was wrong, but at the same time it doesn't matter to me. I will go back and change them on here, just because it's kind of bugging me. My 100 Series (I took the emblems off 2 years ago) was LandCruiser, now that I look at pictures. I guess I never really paid attention to it, it's like a young kid trying to figure out which paint he is going to use...grey or gray.

Well now I'm ashamed of myself. Not only have I owned more than my share of Cruisers but I'm also a designer and I never thought about the kerning. I always assumed "LandCruiser", one word. I'm a chump for the correction in the other thread.

On a another non-hijack attempt, I also own a built 100. More semi-built. Slee 2.5" lift, Spresso's 1" body lift and a few other treats. Best rig ever!

Well now I'm ashamed of myself. Not only have I owned more than my share of Cruisers but I'm also a designer and I never thought about the kerning. I always assumed "LandCruiser", one word. I'm a chump for the correction in the other thread.

On a another non-hijack attempt, I also own a built 100. More semi-built. Slee 2.5" lift, Spresso's 1" body lift and a few other treats. Best rig ever!

Are you on MUD? You may or may not recognize my 100.

ebype8e9.jpg

As for the 70:

Servo mounted, electronics plate mocks up (plastic now, aluminum later). I just have to find a motor with a smaller collar, the stock axial 27T won't fit inside the trans mount, I may have to bore it out with a press, I can't seem to find a brushed motor that will fit.

qesedy5a.jpg
yme9u3er.jpg

Now for the battery, I have two 5400MaH 2S that I used in the SCX-10 when I was running the AE-2. I had plenty of room for the batteries under the body. This however barely has enough for the ESC/RX. So the battery is going in the bed, with a "utility box" as a housing. I like it mounted on the side of the bed, but it throws the balance off. So this is what I'm thinking:

dyzu2u5a.jpg
du5y5yte.jpg

ydu8ajed.jpg

I used my home brew sand ladder as a top plate to see how it will look.

All I need now is a motor that fits!

I then started a template of the front bumper. It hangs out a bit much, so I think I'll chop 1/2" off and see.
pe9u3eqa.jpg

I will be building the drivetrain and mounting everything 100% then tearing it all back apart and it's going off to the paint shop once I get the tube work and bumpers mounted up. I don't want to scuff up the finish by working on it before everything is mounted and positions set.

Last edited:
Back