• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Sin's 70 Series Landcruiser Build

Are you on MUD? You may or may not recognize my 100.

ebype8e9.jpg

Yeah, I'm on there, same username. Yours seems familiar. Looks great. I haven't been on in a while and then I mostly lurk. I can't afford to do the fantastic stuff you guys do to your rigs on there. That's why I'm here!

Are you on MUD? You may or may not recognize my 100.

ebype8e9.jpg

Yeah, I'm on there, same username. Yours seems familiar. Looks great. I haven't been on in a while and then I mostly lurk. I can't afford to do the fantastic stuff you guys do to your rigs on there. That's why I'm here!

My username on mud is 2000UZJ. I love both, however I find it more enjoyable to relax, have a beer, and build a small vehicle inside, rather than bust knuckles, get grease everywhere, and deal with rusty bolts. I've dragged every fender on rocks in the 100, so RC's are looking MUCH cheaper. I'm not nice on the 100 either, I tore the sheet metal on the passenger front fender and recently caved in the door on Kodak Rock in URE. I enjoy showing people what a 100 can do, driving a ragtop Jeep in freezing cold weather with 3 jackets on isn't my thing. I'll sip on my coffee and enjoy the view from a nice warm cabin and some Pretty Lights or Black Mill. The joys of a 100 Series :)

As for the whole Land Cruiser vs Landcruiser, I don't think I've actually used that term in months, maybe years. I always refer to my truck as a 100, 100 Series, or gas hog, money pit, Toybota, and/or LandYacht.

I'll be swinging by Hobby Town again to look for a new motor, maybe one that can fit in the transmission...more money :roll: . Maybe this thread should be called "money pit".

I'm with you. Plus, I live I'm MN with no garage but two great work areas inside for my small trucks.

I've said this way to many times but the 100 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I sure wish it didn't suck up my paycheck in gas!

It's funny, when I'm on mud, it's either in the 100 section or the 70 section. I want a troopie so bad!

I grabbed a beer and got to work restoring the lights. It came with yellowed and hazed light buckets with some type of old LED in there. I took my Axial light buckets and enlarged the hole slightly.

I soldered up a LED lighting system that runs off a 9V battery. I didn't have enough LED's so I had to add a few resistors on each + wire. Once installed in the Axial light buckets I noticed light leaking out the back. Simple fix, electrical tape.
dadegese.jpg

I used a non-hazing glue to mount the buckets.

ademena9.jpg

Here is the front end with new lights.
abehe8ag.jpg

Wiring for the front clip:
yre9usy5.jpg

eseqypen.jpg

I mounted the switch, and 9V battery between the cab and bed via epoxy (switch) and Velcro (9V).
unajaqeg.jpg

For the tail lights: the LED's I purchased were not quite red. Luckily the old yellow buckets made them a little more red. Not sure how, but WIN!

Once removed I did a little more work on the old lights. De-hazing them, buffing and a little clear coat.
Before:
e8abaqy8.jpg

After:
e8e6a9u4.jpg

Epoxied to the rear frame/bumper of the body and cleaned up the wiring.
uvy6a2a3.jpg

And now for the results-

6aqy6agy.jpg
qenuraze.jpg
y9a2u6yj.jpg
ujeja2ad.jpg
pa9aququ.jpg
ururapab.jpg

Wow Nick, the beam pattern on those LEDs is terrible hehe ;-)
I agree with your preference of new 70 series over exotic car. I wish my parents thought spending ferrari-money on a TOYOTA was a good investment :lmao:
(Id kill for a nice new VDJ76... Twin turbo V8 diesel goodness!)
I REALLY like how this thing is coming out. You'd best hide it when i come by and pick up my halo. Excellent work man.

Before I go to Toyota and order a can of 200 Series paint I figured a quick test spray would confirm I want to use this color. Picked up some touch up paint in a spray can and went to work. It's still drying. But I'll piece this body back together when she dries later tonight. If this paint turns out nice and shiny I may just keep it!

yda4umaq.jpg

Reassembled. I think I'm going to rock the rattle can finish until I wheel it and enjoy it. Then retire it to a shelf queen/show rig. Which was the ultimate reason for building this. Should be starting the tube work mid-Decemer. So the tan canvas and cargo rack will be disappearing.

7ehuju5y.jpg

She got her first run tonight. I drove her about 15 feet and decided it's too dark out, and I'd rather rake the leaves out so I can actually see what I'm driving on. First impressions are...

Way different than my SCX-10 XJ. It's got very little wheel travel, much longer wheel base, heavier, and much higher COG. My SCX-10 makes me want to punch the throttle and see if I can spin my way up. The Land Cruiser, makes me want to approach it with more caution, logic, and use tactics. I still need to work on the suspension, trac bar and pan hard are needed. I want to do coil overs, but I absolutely love the way leaf springs act and look when it's on the rocks. I'll be playing with it a little more tonight. I only tipped once, it was a very very soft roll into a pile of leafs. But I seemed to of clipped something on the roof gutter.

y9eda7y4.jpg
http://img.tap
atalk.com/d/12/11/22/gy9yvyba.jpg
5ybenuvy.jpg
ga6y7uha.jpg
e8e2uryz.jpg
usaraqu7.jpg

Boards > chris_snchez > Brianw > heinie > sin city. Am I missing anybody in this guys liniege?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

hahahaha. That was great. It gets better and better each owner. Maybe in another 5 it'll be incredible!

not long. I bought it from Chris and once I got it I decided I didn't have the skills to do it justice and I passed it on to Blake. I'm just not patient/calm enough for leafed rigs :mrgreen:

not long. I bought it from Chris and once I got it I decided I didn't have the skills to do it justice and I passed it on to Blake. I'm just not patient/calm enough for leafed rigs :mrgreen:

I'm loosing patience too. Leafs are a PAIN. But it's a interesting rig, a new learning experience. I know tons about 1:1 coil over/live axle. I know nothing about 1:1 leaf springs, so this is teaching me a lot. I do have a question, which owner cut the damn shock mounts off?

Looks great Nick!! You know where to bring it of ya need some help! "thumbsup"

We need to start on the tube work next week if ya have time! This thing needs a few things before she is truly "trail rated" :)

Back