• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Badger's Axial SCX10 Jeep JK w/ VP Currie Rock Axles

Re: Badger's SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with VP Currie Rock Axles

Oh goodness, very nice stuff there. I can not believe the detail in all the pieces. Very nice work VP!

I hope my post does not get deleted for not having tech! 8)

Re: Badger's SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with VP Currie Rock Axles

Oh goodness, very nice stuff there. I can not believe the detail in all the pieces. Very nice work VP!

I hope my post does not get deleted for not having tech! 8)

Your post is exactly why I'm taking the time to try and get really good photos to hopefully do the incredible machine work from VP a little justice. 8)

Your post is exactly why I'm taking the time to try and get really good photos to hopefully do the incredible machine work from VP a little justice. 8)

Good photo's with "Dog Bones"

Did know there was such a thing :roll:

Good photo's with "Dog Bones"

Did know there was such a thing :roll:

Thank you for being yourself and posting such a lame comment. "thumbsup"

I've been running the stock "dog bones" in my original Honcho from day 1 and still do not have any issues with them. It's my scaler, not my comp rig, I don't need it to steer like one.

Besides, I purposely left the dog bones in for my next photos to show that the stock axial components are compatible with the Currie rockjock axles. Not everyone has an unlimited budget for their rc crawlers and might not be able to afford the axles and every other billet upgrade possible in one purchase. This way they know they can upgrade their SCX10 in stages if needed.

I'm not sure everyone is going to run the skid plate on their Currie rockjock axles because the slight loss in clearance but it's definitely a very nice addition for those who do.

Hi-Res version
353A0658-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0664-XL.jpg

Currie axle servo mount installed
Hi-Res version
353A0636-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0639-XL.jpg

For those that can't afford to buy the Currie rockjock axles as well as all the other cool billet upgrades at the same time, it's good to know that the stock SCX10 axle components are compatible with the VP Currie axles. "thumbsup"
Hi-Res version
353A0651-XL.jpg

And for the lucky ones that can (minus the VP VVD's), it's makes for one bad ass bullet proof axle for your scaler.
Hi-Res version
353A0654-XL.jpg

Installed the Vanquish Products Axial scx10 chubs 8 degree and SCX10 8 degree knuckles
Hi-Res version
353A0655-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0656-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome stuff, well worth the wait! I'm getting a box of wonderful VP goodness today as well, including black Curries for my Wrangler. What gearset are you using in this build? Also, in the fully built axle, what parts did you use from the SCX-10?

Thanks Badger!

Awesome stuff, well worth the wait! I'm getting a box of wonderful VP goodness today as well, including black Curries for my Wrangler. What gearset are you using in this build? Also, in the fully built axle, what parts did you use from the SCX-10?

Thanks Badger!

Thanks. Right now I'm using the stock 38/13t gears but will be upgrading them to Axial's heavy duty 38/13 gear set AX30395 at some point.

In the fully built Currie front axle with VP upgrades I used the following stock parts:
353A0654-S.jpg

38/13 gear set
Axle dogbones
Stub axles
Hexes
Bearings 5x11x4mm
Bearings 10x15x4mm

In the fully built Currie front axle with stock components I used the following stock parts:
353A0651-S.jpg

38/13 gear set
Axle dogbones
Stub axles
C Hub Carriers
Knuckles
Flange Pipe 3x4.5x5.5
Steering Links
Hexes
Bearings 5x11x4mm
Bearings 10x15x4mm

Last edited:

In order to get the 4 M3x6mm set screws tightened enough so they were flush with the housing I had to tighten each set screw down then back it out a little bit and tighten it down again 3 times. This is normal and ensures that the set screws are firmly securing the axle tubes in place.

Hi-Res version
353A0665-XL.jpg

Currie rockjock rear axle assembled

Hi-Res version
353A0670-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0672-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0676-XL.jpg

The VP Currie rockjock axles have a bunch of extra holes in the axle tubes to use as mounting locations for future add-on's and I did not want to leave them open so dirt can get in so I went down to my LHS to get 16 M3x3mm set screws to plug the holes.

Hi-Res version
353A0684-XL.jpg

Got a set of the Vanquish Products Currie/SCX Titanium 10 pcs. Link kit to replace the stock plastic links.

Hi-Res version
353A0680-XL.jpg

Links installed on the axles, make sure you install your upper links on the front axle before you install the Currie axle servo mount. I also replaced the stock plastic flanged balls with Axial's upgraded steel flanged balls. IMO the steel flanged balls should be standard and not an upgrade because the stock plastic ones are crap, if you over tighten the screws at all they compress and bind up.

Hi-Res version
353A0681-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0682-XL.jpg

If you plan on mounting your servo in the stock location on the axle then you will need to remove the front frame brace. Also, you won't be able to relocate the stock battery plate to the front of the truck because at full suspension compression the steering servo comes up through the front of the chassis. Fortunately the SCX10 chassis has plenty of other locations to mount the battery and IMO having the Currie axles is well worth not being able to mount the battery up front.

Hi-Res version
353A0752-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0755-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0756-XL.jpg

Finally hung the axles under the chassis!

Hi-Res version
353A0759-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0762-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0763-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0765-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Beautifully photographed. Thanks for the currie build tips - I'll be putting them to good use!

Badger that is super nice there.Them rockjock axle look sweet.Do they make the rig handle any better?

Beautifully photographed. Thanks for the currie build tips - I'll be putting them to good use!
Thanks.

Badger that is super nice there.Them rockjock axle look sweet.Do they make the rig handle any better?
I don't know yet if they make the rig handle any better since I just finished building it and installing the electronics yesterday. Need to take a few more pics of it finished then I'm taking it out for it's first run.

I will say that the Tekin RS with ROC 412 motor hauls ass on 3s with a 14t pinion. :shock: This is going to be a FUN rig!

Man those axles are sweet nice pics by the way

WOW those axles look awesome....hmmmmm wonder if Vanquish willl take a kidney in exchange for some :shock:

HOLY BALLS.... THIS IS SPECTACULAR!!!! cant wait to see when this is assembled.

Man those axles are sweet nice pics by the way

WOW those axles look awesome....hmmmmm wonder if Vanquish willl take a kidney in exchange for some :shock:

HOLY BALLS.... THIS IS SPECTACULAR!!!! cant wait to see when this is assembled.

Thanks.

I'm finishing up on the last set of pictures now, will post them a little later tonight.

Electronics installed.

Tekin RS ESC, ROC 412 brushless motor, CC BEC and Spectrum SR3100 receiver installed.
Hi-Res version
353A0805-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0807-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0809-XL.jpg

I modified the stock battery tray to fit in front of the motor.
Hi-Res version
353A0811-XL.jpg

Had to notch out the right side to clear the MIP drive shafts.
Hi-Res version
353A0813-XL.jpg

353A4492-XL.jpg

353A4493-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Ya its definitely over the top awesome. I havenet been this envious in a long time. Great job on it!!

Finally time to build the OMF 1.9 Scaler Rockcrawler Beadlock wheels with a new set of Axial 1.9 Maxxis Trepador Tires R35.

Hi-Res version
353A0769-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0770-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0771-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0780-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0781-XL.jpg

Gotta have a full size functional spare. 8)
Hi-Res version
353A0792-XL.jpg

If your planning on running the stock SCX10 Jeep JK wheels and tires with VP's SCX10 8 degree knuckles you will need to get a set of wider hexes to space the wheel out from the hub a little. This is with the stock JK wheel & tire installed.
Hi-Res version
353A0777-XL.jpg

This is with the VP OMF 1.9 Scaler Rockcrawler Beadlock wheels and VP SLW Hex Hubs size 600.
Hi-Res version
353A0779-XL.jpg

And finally the finished rig with body installed.
Hi-Res version
353A0787-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0790-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0794-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0795-XL.jpg

Love the tire stuffage!
Hi-Res version
353A0796-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0797-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0799-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0802-XL.jpg

Hi-Res version
353A0815-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Those are awesome pics. Very sharp. Are you shooting them in RAW
format?

Another Q, do you think the 475 spacer would clear the 8* VP knuckles?

Back