• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What does a $2,200 SCX10 Look like???

SCX10Crazy!

Pebble Pounder
I wanted to create something unique and meet these needs:

1) Money no object. wanted some bling, but overall want the best quality parts and performance
2) Parts had to work well together for articulation! Which meant, no leaf springs, good shocks at 110 mm, no bed, cutting of the hard body for increased articulation and cutting of the RC4WD tube chassis. The rig had to flex and grip rocks, just wanted a good performing SCX10 platform
3) Had to be a Toyota Hard body (truggy in my case)
4) Wanted a scale look but no compromise on performance!
5) Axle mounted servo for better performance vs. a vanquish 3 link where I had multiple problems with articulation. Wanted performance over scale so went axle mounted servo
6) Had to be a Class 1 crawler which meant using 1.9 Tires, etc ... tires not wider than 1/2 the wheel wells, tube chassis bumper not widerthan windshield, etc.
7) Had to have the best electronics (no need for 7.4 volt servo) 6 Volts with enough torque was sufficient in my case
<?xml:namespace prefix = "v" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="HEIGHT: 11.25pt; WIDTH: 11.25pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="icon_cool" src="file:///C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>100% water proof (lots and lots of plasti dipping), wanted to never worry where this rig goes. wanted to create the best underwater crawling gopro video youtube has ever seen. still worling on that though lol
9) Had to run an awesome modified tube cage to protect hard body
10) No shelf queen!, this baby is meant to be used and abused and left dirty at the end of the day, no exception
11) wanted to finally run some $130 rims with 1.9 tires. I love scale rims.
12) Truck had to have lots of weight down low, so went with the heavy vanquish Currie axles. The internals are using the heavy HD bevel gears and diff lockers for both front and back, truck weighs in at 14 lbs, wow!
13) wanted to under-drive the rear gears for better performance, lots of information on this, wow, what a difference!
14) and just have fun with my scale build and keep it original to my own ideas on how I like things.

Here's the parts I used:

SCX10 Kit Ebay New (no wheels, no electronics $179.00
TLR Silicone Shock Oil 20 wt x 2 $7.99
Gearhead RC Scale Trail Torch LED Light Bar White and Blue waterproof $57.99
RC4WD Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 1.9" Internal Beadlock Wheel $129.99
RC4WD Complete Mojave Body Set $109.99
RC4WD Mojave Bench Seat $8.99
TorqueMaster Pro $64.99
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL WaterProof $109.99
Castle Creations Castle Link Programming Kit $24.99
RC4WD Rok Lox 1.9 Comp Tires (2) $24.99
RC4WD Rok Lox 1.9 Comp Tires (2) $24.99
RC4WD Hilux and Mojave Tube Exocage for Trail Finder and Bruiser $149.99
King Off-Road Scale Piggyback Shocks w/Faux Reservoir (100mm) (2) $46.99
King Off-Road Scale Piggyback Shocks w/Faux Reservoir (100mm) (2) $46.99
Savox SW-1210SG Waterproof Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo $94.99
56 pitch 13 tooth pinion gear $4.99
Deans plugs and 12 guage wire $7.99
Aluminum Racing Servo Horn $10.99
4 Link suspension (10 Links) $89.99
Spektrum DX4C DSMR 4-Channel Radio w/ SRS4210 waterproof RX $139.99
LiPo 5450 3-cell 11.1v Battery Pack $65.99
VANQUISH Currie Front SCX-10 AX-10 Axle Silver $169.00
VANQUISH Currie Rear SCX-10 AX-10 Axle Rear $150.00
Steel MIP Drive Shafts (Black) $54.99
Vanquish Products Axial Alum Trans Housing (Silver) $50.00
STRC STEER KNUCKLES SCX10 (2) Gun Metal $20.00
STRC ALUM HUB CARRIERS SCX10 (2) Gun Metal $20.00
Robinson Racing Hard Steel Idler Gear AX10/SCX10 $12.99
STRC ALUM. REAR SHOCK TOWER (1 PAIR) SCX10 Silver $17.99
Robinson Racing Hardened Aluminum Diff Gear: AX10/SX10 $15.00
King Shocks Spring Kit RC4WD $8.00
RC4WD Rubber Mirrors $8.00
STRC Aluminum Chassis H Brace SCX10 (Black) $10.49
Plastidip (Home Depot) To waterproof all Electonics + lipo $5.99
Wheel Bearing Water Proof Grease for repacking all Bearings $5.49
RC4WD Light Kit $17.99
STRC ALUM. REAR SHOCK TOWER (1 PAIR) SCX10 (Silver) $16.99
Team Fast Eddy Axial SCX-10 Bearing Kit $19.99
Vanquish Products SCX10 VVD V1-HD 4mm Stubs $64.99
Rear Vanquish Products Locker for Axial Wraith & Yeti AX-10 type axles $33.99
Front Vanquish Products Locker for Axial Wraith & Yeti AX-10 type axles $33.99
Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 43T/13T (used for Rear under-drive) $23.69
Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 38T/13T (used for front) $23.69

Total Cost: $2,186.06
<o:p></o:p>

Yes, they are STRC Knuckles and steering arms! And they work perfect!!! I was unable to install Vanquish because the company forces you to buy their rims to the high clearance does not rub. I love options, so want to put any rims I want to on this rig. So for that purpose, Vanquish steering will not work on this rig. Let this be a lesson to you! Anyway, the STRC is awesome and fits perfect. So if you're going with this set-up, no worries, I love it.

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VKVWGyb4whg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks the same as the same over priced ugly truck you posted not long ago. :roll:

nice build.. not sure if i would have went for the cage on the outside but..

not sure if mine comes up to this much, kinda afraid to add it all up.. got a set on the non currie vanquish axles along with a set of there OMF beadlocks.. changed out the radio for a futaba 4pk, one of those hitec 7955tg servo's. rock armor bumpers front and rear. irok swampers..90mm version of the shocks you got..35t hand wound motor.

Yes, I used a 35 turn hand wound holmes hobbies motor. it has lots of torque. I like it. it does pretty good in water.

Exo cage is made by RC4WD. The doors would open. The hard body is painted black so looks as if the cage continues down the doors but it does not. However, your right in that this particular cage does extend partly down the hood of the vehicle. I did not pay attention to that detail when I purchased it from rc4wd. I do love this cage though. I think it's a wise purchase for someone looking to protect a Toyota hard body from scratches and from drops. I think my favorite thing about this tube cage is the built in stinger. When I slowly approach a rock, I can use the stinger to slide up the rock surface. I just give the 35 turn motor some extra punch ad it slides right up it. I highly recommend this tube chassis.

Actually, you just gave me an idea, I may cut the tube chassis where it cuts across the hood. Then, I think it would be a little more scale. I do think that would look petty cool.

On a side note, I did already cut the rear lower sides of the exo cage. If you look at the under water pics you can see how the cage looked from the factory. I lowered the body 1.5 inches and had to cut the button out so it would not rub.

Thanks for the Idea!

that is a hell of a lot of money for a toy truck. I guess everybody has there thing. I'd much rather have my Chevy Blazer. This one was about 1800

Attachments

• 100_0617  plate blocked.jpg
    100_0617 plate blocked.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 4,811
I had a 1/5th scale baja with billet everything running a 8.2 HP monster motor. Had $4,000 in it. I could not afford it anymore and wanted to try something different so I parted out every single part keeping track on an excel spreadsheet and sold for $2,350. I've since bought this crawler and just love it. There's something neat about crawling that brings me back every time. I used to be into it about 5 years ago and had 4 other scx10s. I'm also big into fpv quad copters running long range links like ezuhf running out 2.2 miles and then back. The footage from the gopro is amazing. But anyway, like your truck!

Back