• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Redcat Everest 10 or Barrage EXC

Potosijoe

This is going to be my first real RC crawler. I'm looking at the Redcat Everest 10 and the Barrage EXC. It will be for me and my 6 year old grandson to play with. Looking for good and bad. Is one a lot better. Thanks Joe

This is going to be my first real RC crawler. I'm looking at the Redcat Everest 10 and the Barrage EXC. It will be for me and my 6 year old grandson to play with. Looking for good and bad. Is one a lot better. Thanks Joe

I put a Barrage BND kit together not too long ago..... Seems like a solid little rig. My friends wife drives it now.
It took about 2.5 hours all together. It is a little small, and the componants are awfully light and small. Not a bad rig to start with.

I don't have any experience with the Everest 10, though my understanding is many of axial parts interchange.

The everest 10 will walk all over the barrage the e10 runs a 540 can motor the barrage runs a 370 motor the barrage is also smaller than the e10 and isent as durable ive had my e10 for about 3 years now and its been very good to me almost no breakadge of the stock parts and you can use SOME aftermarket parts made for the scx10 because its a almost exsact copy of the ax10 the parts do take a bit of fudging but hold up great after the barrage is basicly a losi mini rock crawler clone with a scale chassie and although its still capable it wont come close to the e10 redcat seems to be making a run at the big leages these days and is coming out with some cool stuff but the e10 is still a clone a old played out design but its still a realy good rig
I have a old mrc clone basicly the same rig as the older barrage and ive beat the snot out of it for about 4 years ive only replaced 3 parts the entire time ive had it but the parts are harder to find and arent as durable but they are extramely light waight so its not realy a issue they also cost as much or more than the e10 parts they did redo the barrage at somepoint and i dont realy know what they changed on it but i would guess it was for the better
Basicly the everest 10 is a rock crawler and the barrage is a small scaller they both are.gona need some small stuff to keep them going but in my opinion the everest 10 has way more potential

I have a barrage gen2 and a maxstone 10, which is pretty much the same truck as the everest 10 but in green instead of blue. Like ferp420 said, the e10 will walk all over the barrage, probably.... I say probably because stock for stock, the barrage has WAY better tires. Like, WAAAAY better. So out of the box, it might actually be a draw unless you are crawling someplace that the barrage's tires are simply too small for.
That said, simply changing the tires makes dthe e10 a much better truck..
I actualy have the same tires on both of time, pro-line BFG t/a ko2's The only difference is size. 2.2's on the maxstone 10, and 1.9 on the barrage. On both trucks, the tires work really well. I bought them because its what I run on my full size vehicle, but they ended up working better than I thought they would.... The only other mod on either truck is a few ounces of lead in the front tires on the maxtone.. Oh, and the maxstone has 4 wheel steering as well.

So, now the reason I own both. I started with the maxstone 10. Then, last summer I decided to pass it on to my daughter (9 at the time), and get myself something new. I know from past experience trying to get my older daughter into RC that when dad has a super awesome truck and daughter has no hope of keeping up, daughter loses interest.... So I actualy wanted something that would be good, but not as good as the maxstone 10, which meant a scale truck. (A well set up maxstone 10/E10 will walk all over any scale truck out there) As I was deciding what to get, the doomsday barrage went on sale for $150, so that made up my mind.
It works out really well, becuase my daughter, who has very little RC driving skill, can keep up with my barrage pretty well, simply because the maxtone is so much better, it takes very little skill to keep up with a moderatly skilled driver driving a barrage....

Funny thing, when I fist got the maxtone 10, I put on the softest springs ans set it up for maximum flex. When I first got the barrage, I thought the suspension was way too stiff, but after driving it for a while, I put stiffer springs on the maxstone and used fuel tubing on the shocks to limit their travel by about half, and it drives so much better! Torque twist is less noticeable, and for the flex, it used to get stuck because it was TOO flexy, a tire would go down into a space between rocks and get stuck. now in the same place, it just goes over the space between rocks....

Anyway, I like the barrage because its a challenge compared to the maxtone 10, but I would like it better if it were a bit bigger. It can mostly keep up with the scx10.2's except where the wheelbase matters. Its kinda like a 2 door wrangler vs a 4 door, there are places that are super sketchy for the 2 door, where the longer wheelbase of the 4 door makes it easy....

All that said, my next crawler will be a trx4..... I wouldn't buy the barrage at full price....

Thanks for the reply`s. The Redcat is looking to be it. Any other thoughts are welcome. I'm calling local shops to see what I can find in stock. Thanks Joe

lol..... Thats the kind of advice you dont need.... In the $150 range the E10 is great, but do expect to drop some money on decent tires before it crawls really well, so call it $200..... However, there is nothing out there where the stock tires are awesome. Some are better than others, but few people buy anything and keep the stock tires for too long.... I would buy my maxstone 10 again in a second. The barrage, I would buy again at the price I paid, but not at what they cost now...

I have 3 E10s between myself and my sons (also built a 4th our of spare parts which I subsequently gave away). It is a good rig in that price range if you don't care about scale appearance. It has a few flaws (slow, poor turning radius, torque twist), but all are correctable for not much money if you desire. It is pretty durable out of the box and is easy to work on. The only thing we've broken which wasn't attributable to other modifications was the stock plastic servo horn after a big tumble down a hill. Other things we've broken were after adding upgrades which stress the stock parts, but even with upgrades they have proven pretty durable (much more so than an Axial wraith I got for my daughter).

Nothing! You need to be in the $350-$450 range. Save up a little longer and buy something worth buying.

I understand the concept, but this has to stay on the cheep. I appreciate the advice. My RC friend who was in the Missouri State champship said the samething. My house spends way to much on motorcycles to go heavy on the RC fun. Thanks Joe

I appreciate all the information and advise. Keep it going. Today is my little buddy's birthday. Big six. I hope the shop gets the E10 in today. We are going to look at them this afternoon. Thanks Joe

I'd have to agree with Inspector86.... I'd save up for something better. I've had a couple of E10s... with mods you can get them roughly on par with an OG SCX10, which is WAY behind the performance curve these days...

The Ascender Suburban is only $280...

Last edited:
LOL, A properly set up OG ax10 (or E10, or maxstone 10) would walk all over an ascender or any other scale truck made today....
People who just run scale trucks tend to forget, scale crawlers aren't popular because they are awesome crawlers. They are popular because they are scale. There are a LOT of tradeoffs to make them look more scale, and the biggest one is performance. In short, they crawl pretty terribly compared to even a not very good comp crawler...

The first question you need to ask is whats more important, scale looks or performance. If you care more about performance, the E10 is the way to go. If you want it to be "scale", the e10 is not the way to go.

Last edited:
My lightly and cheaply modded e10 on the rocks the last vid the rock is at about a 80° angle and at one point goes over verticle and thats were most rigs stop this e10 keeps getting it

https://youtu.be/fS_uHm29BOg

https://youtu.be/FggwxbasXzA

https://youtu.be/Mogc5pF5Md4

With the tires servo shocks drive shafts and rear axle internals ive got about 260 in to this rig 8ncluding purchase price so about 100 in parts total over 3 years of hard crawlin it still has the plastic locker upfront lol this is also my loaner rig so alot of noobs have tryed to break it with no luck and it just works i wouldent call it a comp rig but it holds its.own and yes it walks all over any scale rig ive ever ran

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with the Barrage, but my son has an everest 10 and its a great budget crawler. We have had a ton of fun with it and the only thing we've had to do to it is replace the front servo. It burned up after about 6 months. It does have a few annoying things about it such as the turning radius, slow speed, and torque twist, but for just bashing around and having fun, you can deal with it. For kids the speed is actually really nice too. We also have a scale rig, a redcat gen7 pro and the everest is much more capable in the rough stuff. On small rocks and steep inclines is about the only place the gen7 might be better because its lower center of gravity. You don't need to spend a ton of money to have fun like many others suggest. This truck is loads of fun.

Well I picked mevup the Everest 10 today. Got a extra battery and we love it. Found a shop close that carries most of the Redcat`s. Good customer support. They carry a lot of replacement and upgrade parts on hand. Now the fun begins. Thanks for the reply
`s ? Thanks Joe

The first thing you should do since you have it in your hands is take the foams out of the tires and take the springs off the shocks and run it in full droop its will be a hole differant machine and dosent cost a dime a mild cut on the tires will bring them to life untill you get new ones

The first thing you should do since you have it in your hands is take the foams out of the tires and take the springs off the shocks and run it in full droop its will be a hole differant machine and dosent cost a dime a mild cut on the tires will bring them to life untill you get new ones

Running full droop without adding internal springs under the shock piston is not ideal. On hills the rig will unload and can flip it over (or at a minimum take traction away from your uphill wheels and raise your cog). Not sure if just removing the springs is better than the stock setup, probably depends in part on the terrain you are running on.

Last edited:
Between those 2 trucks, I'd go with the E10 if it was to be my only crawler. The Barrage is a lot smaller and because of that, will be much more limited on what terrain that it can traverse. Now that I'm more experienced, I like that challenge and enjoy it in places that don't have rough enough terrain to keep me entertained with the bigger trucks. But, for a first crawler, the versatility of the larger one is a big plus.

Last edited:
Back