• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Lucky's Flatbed

Made a better bracket.

HPIM3275.jpg

HPIM3277.jpg

HPIM3278.jpg

That bed is outstanding work. Actually, I dig all the tube work. Might throw some different wheels/tires on it and un-gray the headlight guards. Some fresh paint...But thats it. Great looking truck bro!

I know I want to paint, repaint and paint again. I'm thinking about the headlights and grill too. They need something different. Ah, new rims and tires would be nice but I gotta watch my $'s. I can't help to stare at the different options. I'm also going to do a tool box in the bed, still working it out.

I hear ya on the $ tip... that's what's holding up my build right now. (I need 6 wheels/tires :shock:) As far as the grill goes, other than a dull aluminum color with some of that "weathering" wash some people use, I can't really come up with any interesting ideas. Seeing the rest of the truck though, Im sure whatever you come up with will be pretty ultra... Good Luck!

I work in a lab and I have fine mesh screen. I used it once on a grill and looked pretty good. I'm developing an idea using it. I wanted to do real metal light guards too. These are the stock axial lights that just happen to fit for now. I'll try to come up with something good, perhaps a better front bumper too.

If you come up with something good for the light guards, I'm going to steal it. I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get the guards right for my D90 Wolf XD TUL project ( http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271608 ) and it's got me wanting to throw sh*t. The closest I got was silver soldering 24 gauge solid steel wire. Styrene rod has been suggested, but I want it to be able to take a hit, and look scale... The basket in the bed of your truck has some longitudinally running wire in it, what diameter is that?

I just measured the wire, it's 0.0045inch painted, so about 0.004" It's just music wire for rc planes. I've seen your Gelande before, nice rig. I mean it.
I'll have to toy with some ideas too. The wire was hard to braze, I think the key is in the setup. Stuff wanted to move on me and un-braze while doing the other pieces.

Thanks! And thanks for measuring that. It's only about .015 smaller than the 24 gauge i'm using (.060). I had the same problems with stuff coming loose when doing a different area. If I nail down a method to make it easy, I'll let you know! Well, back to work...

I think I missed my period on that measurement, I think I meant .04". Anywho, I get in a hurry and now my calipers are back at work. I let you know if I figure a good way out too.

That turned out pretty good. "thumbsup" It definitely adds to the "work truck" theme. I don't know if that's what you're going for or not, but I like it.

Throw a couple old shock bodies in the back, painted dirty yellow to simulate replacement hydraulic cylinders. A couple scale chainsaws, a few coils of rope and/or some chains, maybe a come-a-long if you can find or build one. A scale oxy/acetelyne rig and a small generator/welder. And you've got yourself a maintenance/repair rig for a logging outfit...

Last edited:
I like it! Good ideas. Thanks. Ya never know. One of you guys break down out on the trails give me a call. I'll even bring some beers with me.

No, really I was/am going for the utility look a bit. There's alot I can still do. I need shackles for towing. My bumpers just aren't working real well for me. But hey I'm having fun. It drives great, a bit heavy. I wish there was more guys around my area doing scalers.

I like the square tubing you used for the flat bed frame work. I have been toying with the idea of a flat bed and would use the square tubing myself. I for one think the front bumper is great,nice flowing bends when viewed from above."thumbsup"

Thanks Big Bill. I really like the square tubing too. There's alot you can do with it. The last little piece worked perfect for my pan bar bracket. One thing about my bumper I really don't like is it hangs up easily. I don't think it looks bad either I think I can make one that gets me up the rocks a little better. Plus I just want to make more things. I currently can't afford to buy stuff I really want to. I almost can't wait for the snow to fly here so I can tear it down and repaint it. Do some more detail work.

That is freak n nice man!

That's a nice build man. I like the front bumper but do you have any problems with it digging into the ground?. I have only been crawling for about 2 1/2 months now and I've had that problem with the bumper I have.

Back