• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

cbp27's Defender 90 Build

I put in my warm white LED set from Chaotic Crawler. I'll take some better outside shots tonight, but for now the garage will do.

cbp27-42292-albums2810-36324.jpg

Cool light and shadow effects...
cbp27-42292-albums2810-36325.jpg

The orange tow strap reflects a good amount of light back into the cab.
cbp27-42292-albums2810-36326.jpg

cbp27-42292-albums2810-36327.jpg

The big hole for the spur gear and motor that needs patched.
cbp27-42292-albums2810-36328.jpg

Everything in the background you see lit up is from the MadDog RC light bar. It's insanely bright!
cbp27-42292-albums2810-36329.jpg

The big hole for the spur gear and motor that needs patched.
cbp27-42292-albums2810-36328.jpg

Do you happen to have any body off pics? I picked up the d90 pickup that was in the classifieds and have been trying to find out how much trimming/modifying I'm gonna have to do to the axial chassis.

And I've got some gunmetal paint that's been screaming for a build...guess I'll have to find something else to use that on :flipoff:

"thumbsup""thumbsup"

Hope you're ready to finally drive this thing in the next few weeks "thumbsup"

It's too pretty to not use it!

Do you happen to have any body off pics? I picked up the d90 pickup that was in the classifieds and have been trying to find out how much trimming/modifying I'm gonna have to do to the axial chassis.
And I've got some gunmetal paint that's been screaming for a build...guess I'll have to find something else to use that on :flipoff:
"thumbsup""thumbsup"

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I haven't paid too much attention to this thread lately. Still need pics? I didn't do too much modifying to the chassis, but mostly to the interior. I had MG200 rig up some body mounts and the bumpers.

Hope you're ready to finally drive this thing in the next few weeks "thumbsup"
It's too pretty to not use it!

I'm excited! It's been collecting dust for a month since finishing it. Hopefully it will see dirt and mud soon. "thumbsup"

I'm excited! It's been collecting dust for a month since finishing it. Hopefully it will see dirt and mud soon. "thumbsup"

Better make sure your electronics are still working lol. I'm so glad you didn't sell this, it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.......it saved my boat lol

Better make sure your electronics are still working lol. I'm so glad you didn't sell this, it'll always have a soft spot in my heart.......it saved my boat lol

I'll be checking the electronics this week if I can. I'm glad it didn't sell too. Actually, it was the Gelande chassis that saved your boat, but it was the same wheels, tires, and electroncis.

I really love the look of the RC4WD Dirt Grabbers, but something has been bothering me about them. I feel they're just a tad too big. I've seen SDI 4X4's older model scale tires (Scale Doctor and Grip Doctor) and really liked their attention to detail vs RC4WD whose similar tires were just a little bit bigger in scale. Luckily, just last week SDI 4X4 released a new small batch of those older model tires and I was able to get some. They're about 2mm shorter and 3mm narrower than the Dirt Grabbers.

They should arrive in about a week.
SCALE-DOCTOR-1.jpg

284589_477612082262381_482053751_n.jpg

Oh man, that thing is looking sharp!

Glad to see it all together and like others said, we need action shots and dirty pics. :ror:

Can't wait to see the SDI tires on it, they look so realistic!

Oh man, that thing is looking sharp!

Glad to see it all together and like others said, we need action shots and dirty pics. :ror:

Can't wait to see the SDI tires on it, they look so realistic!

Thanks Dean! The tires are in the US right now (from Spain) so it shouldn't be too long before they arrive. I can't wait for them either. I did some checks for a test run and everything seems ready to go.

I had some black coated wire and brass sleeves laying around for some tree branch guides and finally installed them tonight. I'll probably shoot some black on the hood mounts though.

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37494.jpg

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37496.jpg

Those look friggen sweet! I even like the silver mounts.

I'll be checking the electronics this week if I can. I'm glad it didn't sell too. Actually, it was the Gelande chassis that saved your boat, but it was the same wheels, tires, and electroncis.

I really love the look of the RC4WD Dirt Grabbers, but something has been bothering me about them. I feel they're just a tad too big. I've seen SDI 4X4's older model scale tires (Scale Doctor and Grip Doctor) and really liked their attention to detail vs RC4WD whose similar tires were just a little bit bigger in scale. Luckily, just last week SDI 4X4 released a new small batch of those older model tires and I was able to get some. They're about 2mm shorter and 3mm narrower than the Dirt Grabbers.

They should arrive in about a week.
SCALE-DOCTOR-1.jpg

284589_477612082262381_482053751_n.jpg

I really want those tires man! They would look awseome on ,my rig! Tell me how they perform when you test you truck. "thumbsup"

Those look friggen sweet! I even like the silver mounts.

I'd say leave the silver. Either way will look cool though. Love this D!

Changed my mind...paint them black!:lmao:

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with them. Interested to see if they'll work on scale trees (twigs lol).

I really want those tires man! They would look awseome on ,my rig! Tell me how they perform when you test you truck. "thumbsup"

I'll definitely post results on the SDI tires. They'll be delivered tomorrow so I should be able to test them later this week. "thumbsup"

I got this Axial chassis used, but it came with some nice aluminum upgrades. The rear AL lockouts are a no-name brand and had a lot of slop, letting the axles slid in and out about 3mm each. I finally installed some washers so now they're much better. There's also a slight wobble in the output shafts of the transmission that needs fixed. I plan on going with Gimp to Sam S. Lewis this weekend for a much needed test run!

Nice, they look like the original Goodyear MTR's (non Kevlar's). Excited to see how the Landy performs this weekend!

Nice, they look like the original Goodyear MTR's (non Kevlar's). Excited to see how the Landy performs this weekend!

They definitely do look like MTR's. Wish they had the licensing to slap the brand name and specs on the sidewall.

The Scale Doctors are on and ready to go! First impressions: They're a tiny bit wider and taller than I expected, especially since the Tango Downs are a very narrow wheel. But otherwise, the scale look is very good and the compound has a good amount of grip. Only thing left is to get them outside.

I'm unhappy about how far the rear tires stick out past the fenders. There's not enough clearance to shave the hex hubs down and I'd like to keep the Axial axle. I have some no-name aftermarket aluminum lockouts on the rear axle. Maybe that's the reason?

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37647.jpg

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37648.jpg

Looks good Clay, maybe just add 1/4" more lift to it. Kinda reminds me of a stock truck trying to stuff 35's in the fender wells.

Looks good Clay, maybe just add 1/4" more lift to it. Kinda reminds me of a stock truck trying to stuff 35's in the fender wells.

I agree on the lift and added some preload to the shocks. I managed to shove the Sidewinder, Rx, BEC, and lipo into the engine bay. It all just barely fits. That stupid cross bar, although important for hood hinge strength, really gets in the way. The motor wires may need shortened. Not too much else to do before Saturday's run.

Getting ready for the weekend...
cbp27-42292-albums2810-37685.jpg
cbp27-42292-albums2810-37684.jpg

I agree on the lift and added some preload to the shocks. I managed to shove the Sidewinder, Rx, BEC, and lipo into the engine bay. It all just barely fits. That stupid cross bar, although important for hood hinge strength, really gets in the way. The motor wires may need shortened. Not too much else to do before Saturday's run.

Getting ready for the weekend...

Tighter than a squirrel's ass in there lol

Tighter than a squirrel's ass in there lol
:lmao:

Had a good day at Sam S Lewis with Chris and our rigs. I was really surprised by how capable my D90 is. Nothing broke. The only problems I kept running into was the rear bumper's lower tubing and the front bumper got caught on a lot of stuff. I may just trim off the rear bumper's tubing. The SDI tires are really great! I'm glad I had them on the rocks vs the Dirt Grabbers.

Chris' Heep only had two wheels on the ground but I missed the rear one.

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37702.jpg

Finally out in the wild

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37703.jpg

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37705.jpg

Found a new home

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37704.jpg

cbp27-42292-albums2810-37706.jpg

Back