• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Sumo Metal Ford

It is 9:47 pm, do you know where your crawler is? I'm currently taking forty five minutes to slap together a super rough and quick one piece basher body on this Datsun to see if this material will take enough carnage, or if I need to raid the pantry for super heavy duty aluminum foil to skin the truck...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

11:39 pm basher body done. I need to make some sort of mounts for it, so I can play tomorrow. For now, I'm tired, and my hands hurt! Glad to set Goal and reach it, even if it's not my Ford project, yet.

Here is another view..It is rough, but won't get much prettier. I also done have anything else from this model except the very shortened bedsides. Got plans there too.

You've got way more patience than I do. I tried to fab up a stainless center skid for my scx10 and threw in the towel after cutting out the template in cardboard.

I have a three year old (and a four month old), surprised I have any patience left.. This is stress relief for me, just keeps me up too late! Speaking of which...

I hear ya with the stress relief! That's one of the main reasons I do this. "thumbsup" I've also got kids, a 4 year old, a 15 year old, and an 18 year old. I hate to say it, but the stress only gets worse! :roll: Seems like you've got a good grip on things though. "thumbsup"

I love my kids, it's worth it all when you get a thank you or a quick unsolicited hug and kiss.. plus, this is cheaper than my 1:1, for now.

Alright, I quickly mounted the basher body, and did just that. I set up some rocks, and tried very hard to rip, tip, roll and scrape the truck around. The Sumo chassis is beyond cool, crawls like a beast. I think as a purpose built crawler it's fantastic. That being said, can't wait to limit articulation with brass chassis work and leaf springs, it was too hard to get into a rough spot.
I learned what I don't want in a micro indoor course, and in the truck. More realistic the better. Body held up surprisingly good, but I was hoping for more carnage after ten minutes. Promise I'll try harder. Haven't installed Lipo yet, burning up some double a's still actually. Here it is after rolling a few times, and squeezing between a few big rocks..

Odd Question. Does anyone here have the 74-77 style grille for the 1/24 70's ford I'm using they could loan me or cast for me? I am not in any hurry for it at all. I currently have the 79 square hlp version. Depending on condition of yours, id have to determine best way to protect and cast copies from it, likely pressing into clay after covering lightly in some sort of mold release."thumbsup"

Oops, just realized I didn't snap any pics. Painted basher body, cuz, well,I could. Wanna see how it gets torn up. Shoe gooed tires on, they've just kinda been on there since I tend to work more than play. And pressed first trial floor pan. Started sculpting a posts and rockers, but got distracted playing with my old xmod. Realized how awful a crawler it is, and when my three and a half year old realizes that he will get bored and my bonding project will just be a normal hobby. Guess I have an excuse to tear it apart and rebuild it, or buy him one, or, hell, who knows..

Haha Micro, that we do. I love it all, but I grew up in a body shop and sell parts to them now, so banging panels is still fun, maybe cuz I don't do it everyday. There is a bit of art, some patience, but its just about having a goal and wanting to prove something to yourself that you can do more to make it more realistic, or scale as is popular to say.

I am actually surprised more guys and galls don't mess with alum panels, honestly. I was super excited to try it as soon as I saw it was viable. In a hobby like this where realism is a goal to many, maybe not to all, whats more real? I would argue it takes mechanical skill to watch the alum fold over corners and not rip it when pressing into recesses, so if you are mainly mechanically inclined, maybe try only a truggy cab, with reinforcements glued in, or a cage, citing to yourself its for weight and mechanical advantage, as the light body could honestly be weighed down a bit to be more realistic in how trucks move."thumbsup"

Quick update. I made a mold for the a posts a few days ago, want super happy with the design after I pulled clay and stamped a part. It fit Ok, but I am still not convinced. So I pulled out some brass I set aside for the frame, and made a post by wrapping material on square tube, and pinching the bottom for fit. Basic cab is now glued together, but it's a test bed. Roof fits like crap, no inner structure, but I have all that figured out for the next one.

Sent from My Galaxy using the Force

I also tore up the basher Bit more. I do think that even though it's thick for scale, it's going to give me good realistic damage.

Update. I am learning allot in finishing the cab, like how I don't need to make a mold for each and every part. Case in point, under cowl, firewall, a post area ties the cab together, and I didn't like the look of the panels I molded, so hand making them allows me to make a super strong pinch joint, like a pinch weld in 1:1, but easier at this scale. I've found all the week spots just in handling the cab, but once it's mounted on a chassis it should look pretty real. I have trouble not giving in and building the frame too mount this to, but I still have to do inner fenders, and the entire bed. I made a core support, part of which you can see in the pics. I cut into the fresh metal too, still have baking pans to experiment with, and scraps.

Just had the bad idea to glue together a frame from some thicker aluminum sheet metal I have just to see if it works. This idea includes a wooden form and pressed metal too...Damnit.

Coming along awesome. I've wanted to try this on a micro since I've seen the true scale Toyota from metal masher. Can't wait to see the end result.

Sounds like you just challenged yourself to build a fun little tin pan beater to me!! What's the worst that can happen, you get a few cuts on your fingers, you have fun? You don't even need to start making an entire cab, a couple fenders and a hood like I made for my three year olds truck take plenty of a beating!! I think I need to press a fleet of trucks, this is fun!!:lmao:"thumbsup"

Haha fenders,hood,and bed are actually what I figured would be the best place to start

Back