• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

NIRC 2011 Top Truck Challenge

Depends on the weight and what you are trying to do with the winch. I have used my 3racing and RC4WD Bullys ok as long as you are on a light truck like a honcho or you use a snatch block. But if you can shoehorn a servo winch in, it is your best bet. HS-645MG is all you need.

Depends on the weight and what you are trying to do with the winch. I have used my 3racing and RC4WD Bullys ok as long as you are on a light truck like a honcho or you use a snatch block. But if you can shoehorn a servo winch in, it is your best bet. HS-645MG is all you need.

I'm just wanting to get through the TTC. Not sure of weight, but it's a burly bug.
I was going to build a servo winch but I don't know how and thought it'd be better off to just buy one for now... build one in the future.

I'm just wanting to get through the TTC. Not sure of weight, but it's a burly bug.
I was going to build a servo winch but I don't know how and thought it'd be better off to just buy one for now... build one in the future.

Cool glad to see your gonna make it.

servo winch is super easy there is a build thread do a search

I aggree they are easy to make, especially with a HS-645MG, but they are difficult to find room in must scalers. You typically end up putting them in some odd place then running a tube from the winch to the fairlead to get the rope/wire out. Even at that, I am having problems finding room.

I was thinking of getting a CMS kit and mount it to the other side of the frame. I guess I should have just built one but I was worried I wouldn't get it done in time for the TTC.

I'm about ready... I still need to waterproof my receiver though. And my body is all jacked up. I'm trying to strip the paint and it ain't pretty!

lol, don't feel bad, during testing today at lunch, I broke a rock slider and not sure there is enough metal left for my fixed brazing to hold, also cant get my ballooned esc and bec in the area it has to go, guess I may have to do some more interior trimming. May also put my Honcho sliders back on for this round.

Oh yeah, and I couldn't get my rear steer to work without excessive body roll and damned if I have tine to make a PanHard bar and a mount, so back to a rear straight axle.

1 order and 3 emails to RC4WD and still no response on whether they will 2 day my Punishers and if I don't hear from them today, looks like I will be a spectator after the first event when my nylon ones explode. If I had known that they had gotten so bad with communicating, I would have gone with the custom extended Mips that are available.

I was thinking of getting a CMS kit and mount it to the other side of the frame. I guess I should have just built one but I was worried I wouldn't get it done in time for the TTC.

I'm about ready... I still need to waterproof my receiver though. And my body is all jacked up. I'm trying to strip the paint and it ain't pretty!

That was where I had mine but my puller is so much longer than a 540 can, there is no room.

I just spoke to Dan of TRue RC. Prizes are still a go. We are working out some details.

pretty sure I will have some 3s 2100 ;-)

I think I killed my steering servo late last night while testing out the cvd's.
It seems I may have too much steering, it's getting stuck at full left.

ugh... maybe Hobby Town has a Hitec 5645 MG in... I needed an upgrade anyway. I am worried I'll screw that one up too. I think I'm going back to the stock steering knuckles.

I was just setting it up and testing to see how the turning radius was... if my servo still works, I'll try to set the epa's tonight.

EDIT
Well, I'm going to investigate whats going on with my Traxxas servo but I'm guessing the gears are striped so unless I can find a rebuild kit... it looks like I'm out.
No time to order a servo and the LHS would be a waist of money.

Last edited:
I was just setting it up and testing to see how the turning radius was... if my servo still works, I'll try to set the epa's tonight.

EDIT
Well, I'm going to investigate whats going on with my Traxxas servo but I'm guessing the gears are striped so unless I can find a rebuild kit... it looks like I'm out.

What !!!!!

Contact Al's in Elmhurst ask for Matt or Chip tell him I set you "Brian"

You will get a get price."thumbsup"

you can get the entire Traxxas servo from Hobbytown for $40, a Hitec HS5645MG for $43 and even a HS7954MG for $95. I am sure the Hobbytown in Northbrook ar Al's will have servos.

EDIT

But I do know how you feel, took 2 days to get RC4WD to communicate with me, then the told me this morning that they would ship my shafts today 2 day and they immediately followed that up with shipping them standard First Class Mail. So I get to try to run this with a 9 pound truck, all steel gears and a set of plastic shafts with a 10T puller on 3S. Should be an epic failure.

This seems to be the constant. I really need to talk to RPP and see if they will start carrying the RC4WD single tires for spares and if they do I will NEVER order another fu*king thing from them.

if rcslot.com has it in stock, he will have it to you by Friday. If you call and talk to Keith he can make sure it goes out right away.

I was planning on upgrading my servo to a Hitec, JR, Savox or other 200-300oz. I talked to Hobby Town Northbrook and the biggest they have is a JR DS8711 which is 400oz for $140. That's more then I wanted to spend but I was considering it till I read it has zero-deadband, which seems bad for a offroad truck. And I'm tired of screwing around with the Traxxas servo... I think I will rebuild it and use it as my shifter or in my mrc.

It just seems like it would be a waist of money not to order a Savox online.

I have an old Hitec that's crazy twitchy, think it could be fixed?

Last edited:
Back