• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New blue castle crawler motors

Solder tabs are spoon shaped and have to be 3+mm thick. They can be a bit of a PIA to solder different wires too.

20170429_202916_zpsoqa2r5po.jpg

20170430_193207_zpspdenyna9.jpg

I think we need to get some average soldering irons at work. I never thought they were too bad to solder, but then I just remembered I was doing it with an $785 iron(JBC DIT-1D). With that soldering anything is easy.

I was using a hakko 937/908(the large handle) and still had to break out the desolding iron to get more heat into it.

The solder that's used has a stupidly high melting point, one of the joys of lead free solder.

Last edited:
Solder tabs are spoon shaped and have to be 3+mm thick. They can be a bit of a PIA to solder different wires too.
The concave soldering terminals are a great idea! I'm tired of soldering round wires onto flat tabs.

the industry should standardize all motors , terminals, plugs etc.... as one specific unit. then all motors and electronics wouldbe quick change, no soldering.

the industry should standardize all motors , terminals, plugs etc.... as one specific unit. then all motors and electronics wouldbe quick change, no soldering.
Deans have unofficially become an industry standard and they suck. So no, please allow me to choose my own plugs, etc.

It already is. It's called solder. :flipoff:

I would have removed the wires on them no matter what plug they came with, they were longer than I needed/wanted.

The motors come with 4mm bullets on them"thumbsup"

For shortening the motor wires, it might be a better idea to unsolder the bullet rather than the wires. Cut shrink, heat bullet, cut/strip wire, resolder, and reshrink. The bullet takes a lot less work to get up to the temperature needed to melt solder. The motor acts like a giant heatsink that sucks all of the heat out of the connection making it harder to get a good solder joint.

I use hardcase packs in my cars so I use 4mm and 5mm bullets everywhere. Just avoid the spring bullets, they are just awful. A large number of 700+ heli pilots use our bullets because for a long time we were the only source for the 8mm bullets needed to do 200 amps continuously. I don't mind deans, but they can be a pain to solder. The only polarized connectors I don't like are the EC connectors because the housings feel kinda weak. The bullets in them are good, but the housings feel awful. The XT connectors are nice because you can plug them in by feel by the way they are shaped, and if you are running high voltage packs you can get the XT-90 with an anti-spark built into the plug. The XT-60 has become the go-to connector for the guys the do FPV drone racing.

Bugger that, can't think of any thing worse than having cables too long running every where:shock:

Where would that even start, try and fit a ESC\Motor into a SCT then the same system into a B44:lmao:

The XT connectors are nice because you can plug them in by feel by the way they are shaped, and if you are running high voltage packs you can get the XT-90 with an anti-spark built into the plug. The XT-60 has become the go-to connector for the guys the do FPV drone racing.
I hope the XT60 connectors eventually become the standard for surface vehicles. They beat Deans in every way except that they're slightly larger.

Protip for soldering Xt connectors. When you get them the cups are facing away from each other which makes it a little hard to solder. Take a pair of pliers and rotate the bullets so they are both facing the same long side of the connector.(Start as >< and changes to VV) This makes it easier to hold the connector still and get the wire in straight.

Protip for soldering Xt connectors. When you get them the cups are facing away from each other which makes it a little hard to solder. Take a pair of pliers and rotate the bullets so they are both facing the same long side of the connector.(Start as >< and changes to VV) This makes it easier to hold the connector still and get the wire in straight.
I never realized the bullets would spin inside the XT connector... Good tip! "thumbsup"

Hehe Youtuber Harley. I remember when he was just a well-known figure on this forum. :lmao:

I figured he was on here somewhere. I just came across his channel last night while searching to see if anyone had videos of the new motors. He's got 20k subs and a intro so he seemed more legit than some random dude who thought the motors were good.

I figured he was on here somewhere. I just came across his channel last night while searching to see if anyone had videos of the new motors. He's got 20k subs and a intro so he seemed more legit than some random dude who thought the motors were good.
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but he gained his "fame" on this forum and I'm sure that helped him get his current position at Vanquish.

Back