• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New blue castle crawler motors

A Micro-X will withstand a crawling wraith? :shock:

It really depends on driving style and setup. If you are getting 4+ hours out of a 4000mah battery, yeah it should be fine. If you are draining a 5000mah pack in 20-30 minutes, then it wouldn't work out so well.

I would obviously recommend the Mamba X just to have the overhead and to have the integrated BEC, but I understand that the micro-x with a BEC 2.0WP is $20 less expensive.

We have a stock wraith, so I'll try it out afterhours sometime and report back how it works.

I would just go with the Mamba X for a Wraith. I stuck a Micro X with a 2300kv Roc 412 in my SCX10 and the esc lasted under 15 minutes. It wasnt even warm when it quit on me. I didnt bother trying to get it warrantied through Castle because of what I had it in.

It really depends on driving style and setup. If you are getting 4+ hours out of a 4000mah battery, yeah it should be fine. If you are draining a 5000mah pack in 20-30 minutes, then it wouldn't work out so well.

I would obviously recommend the Mamba X just to have the overhead and to have the integrated BEC, but I understand that the micro-x with a BEC 2.0WP is $20 less expensive.

We have a stock wraith, so I'll try it out afterhours sometime and report back how it works.

Trying out combos is about the only way yall are going to figure out the limits. In a stock wraith with stock gearing, might work with lower kvs. Grab your 2200ish kv option running 3s.

Trying out combos is about the only way yall are going to figure out the limits. In a stock wraith with stock gearing, might work with lower kvs. Grab your 2200ish kv option running 3s.

I agree. I need to try out a bunch of setups, but we are short on motors and don't have very many crawlers to test in. I'm thinking about building myself a MST CFX-W soon.

I have pretty much resigned myself to buying two of everything that comes out. One to test RTR equipment, the second to throw electronics into. After over a decade of doing this, I've gotten good at guessing the limits and needs of a rig. But 1000 opinions still aren't as good as one test. It has never ever been a waste of time to put the rubber on the rocks.

Welcome to the crawler market :lol:

In another post I asked about having my cake and eating it too in my Wraith. The MambaX and the 2280kv version of this motor turned out to be the answer.

Have you looked at the datalogs at all? I'd be curious to see how much current you were using.
My youngest son does the Castle link stuff for me. It's on his computer and I have been too lazy to install it on mine and try it. If I think of it and we're both home at the same time I'll have him bring it up.

I finally got to trying a Micro-X/2280kv in a Wraith. It worked just fine driving around our office. I ran for 10-15 minutes. I crawled up ramps, ran into things, stalled out the motor, and did top speed runs. It got warm but never dangerously warm or anywhere near thermal cutoff. Also had no external BEC and I never had any brownouts, but I was using an older Hitec servo that doesn't seem to draw much power. I had the LED head/tail lights unplugged.

Setup:
Original Wraith
Steel center drive shafts
CV front shafts
Aluminum Steering knuckles and C hub
Hitec HS-5625MG Servo
Geared with stock gearing 20/80
2s 5000mah 45c battery

Non-Stock Settings:
Crawler Reverse, 60% drag brake, motor direction reversed, 100% reverse power.

I think im going to do a MicroX and the new 2850 on my 10.2.
It doesnt weigh much really maybe 5lbs.
That should be fine.

I'm looking for a new power plant for my my Wraith. The thing is massive, Vanquish everything, heavy, so I need some good horses. I was looking at the ROC412 in 3100kV but then the Castle Slate motors were announced. I'm also considering a HH Puller Pro (or maybe even Puller Pro XL), but I don't know anyone with one. I'm a fan of Castle (they support our troops!) so I'd like to give them my money, can someone comment on the Slate's performance with a heavy rig? I'm thinking 2850kV would hit the spot nicely?

ESC is also up in the air, was going to go Tekin but now thinking Mamba X if I'm going to go with a Slate. I run in hot weather and so a fan would be nice, and the waterproofing is just a great bonus.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new power plant for my my Wraith. The thing is massive, Vanquish everything, heavy, so I need some good horses. I was looking at the ROC412 in 3100kV but then the Castle Slate motors were announced. I'm also considering a HH Puller Pro (or maybe even Puller Pro XL), but I don't know anyone with one. I'm a fan of Castle (they support our troops!) so I'd like to give them my money, can someone comment on the Slate's performance with a heavy rig? I'm thinking 2850kV would hit the spot nicely?

ESC is also up in the air, was going to go Tekin but now thinking Mamba X if I'm going to go with a Slate. I run in hot weather and so a fan would be nice, and the waterproofing is just a great bonus.

If it is as heavy as you claim I would probably step up to the 1410 3800kv motor and gear down as low as you can to keep the speed under control. The only thing that makes the slate motors different is that they are lower KV. The 1410 motor is slightly longer and produces more torque than the 1406 motors, but has the same low speed control. It is the most equivalent in size to a ROC412 or HH XL. I have seen some people stick the 1415 in the wraith as well. It is even longer and has even more torque, but is a more reasonable 2400kv.

If it is as heavy as you claim I would probably step up to the 1410 3800kv motor and gear down as low as you can to keep the speed under control. The only thing that makes the slate motors different is that they are lower KV. The 1410 motor is slightly longer and produces more torque than the 1406 motors, but has the same low speed control. It is the most equivalent in size to a ROC412 or HH XL. I have seen some people stick the 1415 in the wraith as well. It is even longer and has even more torque, but is a more reasonable 2400kv.

I'd second that, Robert advised me as I was set on the crawler but can honestly say I'm glad he did as I didn't have to wait till it was released over here ,
it's VERY punchy and works very well and I haven't even geared down yet on my rock rey lol also with the mamba x it's poetry in motion lol ,
the initial setup is so easy and as it didn't even come with instructions I just used the same simple directions I remembered from my sidewinder and it worked perfectly [emoji106]
Thanks again Robert [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have an update to the Micro-X in a wraith with 2280kv motor. Put a 3s Traxxas battery in and snapped one of my steel center driveshafts in under a minute, but I was driving like an idiot.

Last edited:

Just a heads up, I don't think the 2400kv 1415 will fit on the Wraith skid without modification.

Indeed. The 1410 would be suitable in the wraith and need no mods to the rig.

Robert, for your future reference, the 1406 is like my puller stubby, 1410 like the puller 540, and 1414 like the puller XL in stator length.

I notice these motors are only about 50mm long vs 63mm for say the Yeti Vanguard and 75mm for the 1502 series Castle motors.

That is some considerable differences. I read earlier in the thread that these series motors were basically the same inside as the 1502 series but clearly something is different.

Firstly, are they as powerful? i.e. is the 2650kv 1502 more powerful than the inch shorter 2800kv 1406?

Do they run hotter (what is the extra length for if not for generating extra torque/power etc)?

I'm consider a motor for my Rock Rey and it comes with a 63mm L 36mm W motor as standard.

I notice these motors are only about 50mm long vs 63mm for say the Yeti Vanguard and 75mm for the 1502 series Castle motors.
That is some considerable differences. I read earlier in the thread that these series motors were basically the same inside as the 1502 series but clearly something is different.
Firstly, are they as powerful? i.e. is the 2650kv 1502 more powerful than the inch shorter 2800kv 1406?
Do they run hotter (what is the extra length for if not for generating extra torque/power etc)?
I'm consider a motor for my Rock Rey and it comes with a 63mm L 36mm W motor as standard.

I assume you mean 1512 not 1502?

These will not be as powerful as a 1512. They are short can 36mm motors and are intended lighter vehicles. Internally these are the same as our 1406 motors. The design is similar to the 1512 motor but the 1512 is larger in every dimension.

For a rock rey, I would recommend our 1410 motor. A 1512 motor might fit but I don't have access to a rock rey to know if it does in fact fit. If someone on here has this setup, please let me know.

Cheers Robert!

The RR is a big, reasonably heavy (by lifting compared to the Axials), fast truck so I'm considering the 1512 2650 ATM. I'll have to measure and ponder as there is a reasonable price difference. I probably need to put the RR on the scales too.

Back