• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

JimK's Chevy Trail Truck

Hey Jim, your Blazer trail truck is looking amazing! Well done sir.

You had asked about rear tailight buckets. I'm building one of these Blazers at the moment and I've ordered tailight and side marker lights from Traxxas. I got the chrome housings (#9119) but they are also available in black ( #9122).

Since both the Axial and Traxxas Blazers are very accurate 1/10 scale replicas, I'm pretty confident the housing will fit okay but I'll definitely let you know if they don't fit for or if they were a major hassle making them fit.

Hey Jim, your Blazer trail truck is looking amazing! Well done sir.

You had asked about rear tailight buckets. I'm building one of these Blazers at the moment and I've ordered tailight and side marker lights from Traxxas. I got the chrome housings (#9119) but they are also available in black ( #9122).

Since both the Axial and Traxxas Blazers are very accurate 1/10 scale replicas, I'm pretty confident the housing will fit okay but I'll definitely let you know if they don't fit for or if they were a major hassle making them fit.

That would be awesome! Thanks for the intel. Look forward to seeing how they work out for you. "thumbsup"

That would be awesome! Thanks for the intel. Look forward to seeing how they work out for you. "thumbsup"

Hey Jim, I got the tail lights installed last night. No real drama to report, everything fits okay, just really tedious and extreme caution using the x-acto knife.
I used the Traxxas Blazer body to make templates by tracing the cut-outs onto a small piece of paper, taping the templates to the Axial Blazer and using it to guide the knife and score the lexan. Then I drilled a couple pilot holes near the scores so I could begin to separate the area to be removed into segments and break the lexan. Finally, I spent an hour or so whittling the hole to the proper size and making fine adjustments to get the lights in their proper place.
For the markers, when I painted the body I had intended to use the supplied stickers then scratch build some small light buckets to illuminate them. So before painting, I applied rectangular paint masks that formed side marker windows in the lexan. However, now that I have the Traxxas marker assemblies, I could cut these windows out similar to the Traxxas body but I think I might try a shortcut; drilling only the mounting holes for the two screw bosses (plus one small hole for the key post which insures that the led will align with the top lens and not the bottom one) omitting the cutout and see if this will be sufficient. I will try this approach with one marker and insert an led to gauge the results. If it looks okay, I'll do the same for the other three. If not, then I'll follow the same method as for the tail lights (use cutting templates).
Either way, I'll let y'all know how everything went. If anyone is interested in cutout templates for this mod, I could scan mine and attach them as jpeg images that you can print to scale. Just let me know... TTYL

Last edited:
Hey Jim, I got the tail lights installed last night. No real drama to report, everything fits okay, just really tedious and extreme caution using the x-acto knife.
I used the Traxxas Blazer body to make templates by tracing the cut-outs onto a small piece of paper, taping the templates to the Axial Blazer and using it to guide the knife and score the lexan. Then I drilled a couple pilot holes near the scores so I could begin to separate the area to be removed into segments and break the lexan. Finally, I spent an hour or so whittling the hole to the proper size and making fine adjustments to get the lights in their proper place.
For the markers, when I painted the body I had intended to use the supplied stickers then scratch build some small light buckets to illuminate them. So before painting, I applied rectangular paint masks that formed side marker windows in the lexan. However, now that I have the Traxxas marker assemblies, I could cut these windows out similar to the Traxxas body but I think I might try a shortcut; drilling only the mounting holes for the two screw bosses (plus one small hole for the key post which insures that the led will align with the top lens and not the bottom one) omitting the cutout and see if this will be sufficient. I will try this approach with one marker and insert an led to gauge the results. If it looks okay, I'll do the same for the other three. If not, then I'll follow the same method as for the tail lights (use cutting templates).
Either way, I'll let y'all know how everything went. If anyone is interested in cutout templates for this mod, I could scan mine and attach them as jpeg images that you can print to scale. Just let me know... TTYL

That sounds like it worked out really well LEV8!! If you get a change to drop a pic of the finished product here that would be great. Thanks again.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't too bad, overall.
Anyway, the truck continues to be a work in progress but here's a very quick, poorly lit photo.
I intend to post more (and better?) photos in a new thread when it's finished -- or finished for the moment. Are they really ever finished?

HfnVQo9EGSBTz7YbIIrY44kLeaZMvUZ5oVH1kId7fWvsU8wEWJK0rGpdK1TY8Nq_sIVzKqqNx3S4xVHCiPc0RikqsUUIdFP3qaxv9Bv6RpwA4bGcKAZKgWioP8FwWWS-BToINL4cPo_X5fHcKA-yHFvjdOy0dGgFNqoGXeREW5puMyzmJzgfP2RUhWSt_Y5fb5rhLaz4pTa6fDKhAJbI2PhYVN3JFCAAzLGIbmTlHBBJZe-CtbtW4KZU8N3GBxCu6c-vdFbPY5jyCa77qfxDXoJOQOIknS-aI8A8jwcWZBKTSd-3OiP5pt6Fs6kqLKRWWoc-c-zOq4Op7-KnwJgZ-_EBV63OdFuv_8Mz-K5VD-Ag3scjFz0sVbLTNUyiKBrLk-4ydGv3IfzyU6nqponcKm8OHPzhEbkNC0-BTj8TmdY6_XlQ5eRHfJJyL4v5LZG4eFg9Hkvjh2ldWkIHNwv76h9vCVebNXSaAvx_YNe5MPiZBZIHZIHQJwis4zQmmme3EOKxDE56Bd9OqW-Umuh6f9hbo9P_SFsTLDoSKVJ6bHcnwuWNN3fQOurmT0wrCu88d5cxo-jqDqQ_ZgguZLVRSo8Dd35arCnxrZ5wTqELSIrHF4BwEi9bQ73NYag_A6rAUorPlnr0FmbM-XvnVS_nviKtCWXU-loxQAyglBkoicMjI8q7exM2gqsiIXNHoLFTjcWNTU5g2FNUFj3jlw=w887-h665-no

Last edited:
Those rear lights look fantastic!!
Thanks for posting a pic of them. I'll have to hunt down a set for my truck. "thumbsup"

Oh....Ignore me asking about them recently in you thread....I forgot we already had that conversation...lol

Superb build Jim! I'm in the process of building my SCX10 Deadbolt into a Blazer. Just got to decide on a color. Thanks LEV8 for the headsup on the Traxxas Blazer rear tails. I'm gonna get a set ordered up. I already have the 72 Blazer mounted up on my Trx4. Now to just locate a hardtop!

fc846241093a2917b52043e1e69f3ceb.jpg

Brad

Last edited:
Well....that's not good! I was packing up my Blazer to bring it out to the trailer this weekend to run it some and install the lights I've had sitting around forever. I put a battery in it real quick just to do a quick test before putting it in the car. The steering was good but when I pulled the throttle the drivetrain was binding up when going forward. I tried reverse and it was fine?? :???: Hit forward again and "crack" and the next thing I knew the rear tire was laying on the kitchen floor. :cry:

14168d47e294ee4e757c13c4cdd94d7b.jpg

After a little trouble shooting and inspection I discovered that I had left in one of the longer assembly screws when putting the wheels and tires together. Dohh!!

d3fbee4f52ec602d23305e1d6e202b14.jpg

It cracked the end of the axle which allowed housing which allowed the entire axle and wheel to slide out.

c19818117fed77f305f7eb37a19dd834.jpg

Luckily I have an axle set on hand for another build I'll be doing in the fall so I can use that for now to get up and running again. Looks like I'll be replacing the axle this weekend along with installing the light set. A bit of a bummer but it could have been a whole lot worse. :)

bf6e0277634b4c8747f116f75e132490.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, I decided to order a set of solid AR44 axles instead of using the three piece axles that I already had. These arrived on the weekend so it's time to get the new rear axle installed.

73c80bb84f7cddd925a3483370fca6f3.jpg

It only took a few minutes to remove the old broken axle and get it disassembled.

aa9d2fdcdfaea754b4d4b4a002b19046.jpg

09c5d051846aec129f2edb2df0eb8a9f.jpg

Here's a look at the damaged axle. The screw hole on the other side looks the same way.

9304141f15ad5b7d98012830b87e9f81.jpg

Last edited:
Putting all of the original bearings, gears and axle shafts into the new housing was pretty straightforward. Everything was clwaned first and given a fresh coat of Lucas Red N Tacky grease before assembly.

e119e1dda55dff500cfd96445ac8fcdc.jpg

All back together and ready to be put back in place.

d53fcec21eb3cd4d10e950dad9c11a69.jpg

Back on the chassis and ready to have the wheels reinstalled.

12947d33326329dfe4d81a1960dd00d0.jpg

Last edited:
When it came to putting the wheels back on changes needed to be made. As much as I liked the white spoke wheels and RC4WD Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires I could not get them to mount nicely and they wobbled like friggin' clown car tires. It looked ridiculous out on the trails. :oops:
If you look closely you can see how uneven the bead is seated.

cbe76acf979f1f878db07c10d3196b82.jpg

I really like these Falken Wildpeak tires but they are just a bit too small.

dae613a4a696ee55151cbc0b81dd061d.jpg

These Nitto Trail Grappler MT tires came off my Gladiator and they are just the right size and they aren't a terrible tire so they are gonna have to do for now. I'll look for a more suitable set of wheels to mount the Baja Claws on later in the fall.

36263f2b2ec8f00be26540518c7334c6.jpg

They don't suit this truck as well as the white spoke rims did but like I said they will have to do for now. Maybe I'll try painting the wheels white....or maybe not, we'll see??

902e1c4009530937379611314d381c44.jpg

Last edited:
While I was tinkering around I decided to take care of the body mount magnet that keeps coming detached from the hood of the truck. I tried a couple different adhesives and none seemed to work for very long. In the end I went with double sided 3M silicone tape and that seems to do the trick.

8dc80c91b2b62c0b17b67e7e0e166b29.jpg

You can see the magnet in the right hand body mount post. The magnet in the picture above has been held in place with the double sided tape for awhile now.

336ddec9abc5317cefaf6672bc0fff0d.jpg

Last edited:
The last item on the rc to do list today is to get my headlights installed and working. I ordered an Axial simple controller awhile back and a couple different strands of led lights but never got around to installing them. Today is the day.

f8cf3f748b355a319db603e4df0dcf37.jpg

I installed a set of white lights in the headlight buckets and a set of orange lights in the marker light/signal buckets. The chrome plated keepers provided with the body keep the lights securely in place. Pretty straight forward so far.

0d53de80a45c4b0c619a66f467261a10.jpg

I used one of the windshield wiper screws to mount a wire keeper under the hood. That paired with a few zip ties organized the wires nicely and made for a cleaner look once installed. A piece of 3M double sided tape holds the light controller circuit board in place securely. The power lead is long enough to reach the plug coming out of the esc but it would be nice if it was just a couple inches longer (insert...."that's what she said" joke here!). :lmao:

9087ce3be9954918315ce6dde46db735.jpg

All lit up and ready for the night trails now. I really like how good the truck looks now with the lights installed. I think they look very realistic!! "thumbsup"

1fddb5b564e279250d398b3154661d6e.jpg

The lights come on and stay on when I turn the receiver on. That's good enough for now but I will probably install a switch in the future so I can turn them on and off using my transmitter.

5c9afe3d85abad86a71d98d82f785dbc.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a set of tail light buckets to install but I'm going save that for another day. These are for the Traxxas Blazer and need a bit of cutting and trimming to the rear of the body to install them. Should look really good once installed but I'll do that when I have more time so I can take my time and not screw up this sweet Blazer body.

d865ecfff48a4057f96047eaebf6fa0a.jpg

Last edited:
Well I decided to play musical tires today on the Blazer. She's been wearing the Nitto Trail Grapplers and Axial beadlocks that came on my SCX10III Gladiator. I like the tires but the wheels just didn't suit this rig.

015c3960d7fdab2a8b9d41e7ebf45b7a.jpg

I bought these steelies to put on my Cherokee but ended up going with something else so I decided to give them a try. The tires are Falken Wild Peaks.

8198053ea2779d87173bd2992ef9b116.jpg

I got them on and I really like the wheels but the tires looked a bit small to me. If you check way back at the start of this thread I had these tires on the Blazer on a different set of wheels.

bcf94b46281dbe4c046442fea3accfce.jpg

I lowered the body mount posts one hole and backed the shock preload collars off all the way. This lowered the body a bit and looks a bit better but I'm still not thrilled with how they look. :cry:

1e3efebd9e1edc350821d4cbf7c97ae7.jpg

Last edited:
Let the musical tire game begin. I put the Nittos on the steelies and the Falkens on the Axial beadlocks.

2e50e660af945be9ee5491cf49a76538.jpg

The Trail Grapplers mounted to the steelies much easier than the Wild Peaks did and I think they look pretty good together.

014a47fd6ce13213c8ed51ca87bc61dc.jpg

I'll toss these up on the spare tire shelf for now till I find a use for them.

24dea8604b37932cd2bf15f658e7225b.jpg

I got the tires back on the truck and I think they look pretty good but I'm still unsure?? :???: I left the body mount posts lowered but added a bit of preload back to the shock collars. They're gonna rub a little at full flex but I like how she's sitting. The front end will sit a little lower when the battery is in the truck.

46618f9d85ffc418c205418b902a8e78.jpg

Last edited:
So.....anyhoo, let me know which set of tires you think looks better. I'm still undecided.

Steelies with Nitto Trail Grapplers??

0ca06187ead8ac05eaba5ee0b00d06e6.jpg

Steelies with Falken Wild Peaks??

d69af8a7d3d20c13bd981866d4b44a34.jpg

Back