• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

JimK's Chevy Trail Truck

Very nice build! Please post up what fairlead you end up using, I have the same bumpers on another rig and can't find a fairlead that fits. "thumbsup"

That thing looks fantastic.

It will be a shame to scratch it up.

Do you or Addiemonster know if those inner fenders will fit a scx10?

The original SCX10? I'm not sure, sadly. My SCX10 already has different inner fenders installed, I'm not sure the brand or where they came from. They were installed when I bought the truck from Doomp. You could shoot him a message, he might be able to help you out. "thumbsup"

Very nice build! Please post up what fairlead you end up using, I have the same bumpers on another rig and can't find a fairlead that fits. "thumbsup"

Thanks. I'll post up a pick when I have the fairlead install. It should arrive later this week.

Thank you and ya, I'll probably baby it the first couple times out to try and keep it nice and shiny.

As for the fenders I'm not sure if they will fit the SCX10? I was curious about that myself as I have one too. Maybe I will pull one off and try it later this week. I only need front fenders on mine as the rear is a roll cage. I'll post up my findings if I try it.

Magnets for mounting the body showed up this morning.

bf984d0f7a026de606750efe9220fe24.jpg

Set up and mounting was simple enough and they seem to hold the body pretty good. Body stays in place but not too hard to remove either. I used Gorilla hot glue to hold the magnet to the body. Time on the trail will be the real test.

30022363f1eeeef27d5f9982ba6af7ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got out for a little test drive yesterday morning on the local trails. Overall I'm pretty happy with how the truck performed. The drivetrain sounded good and the gearing was just right....good wheel speed but not too fast. The body was quiet too, no rubbing or clattering around when the truck was moving. The tires worked fine for the trails in this neck of the woods and the truck made every climb I pointed it at. I did notice the suspension seemed a bit stiff so I'll probably fiddle with the spring weight and shock oil to soften it just a bit. I also need to program the esc before my next outing. The drag brakes are set a little to low to keep the truck from rolling down the steeper inclines.

Total poser shot...lol

c78b6f96c150f815d5a15a3210c91dcc.jpg

Down the trail and under the fallen trees we go.

63482629106c5d2f7d0eebf05e72ae28.jpg

a3e632689a3ee771f9d28d8b7b0d1080.jpg

569716b1d71b0f133f52f234f63a9d1b.jpg

Last edited:
The RC4WD Warn fairlead and some other goodies showed up so I did a little tinkering this morning.

390abf7fb71bc6552546af0d839231f4.jpg

The slot in the fairlead for the winch line matched perfectly but the mounting holes were wider than the hole pattern in the bumper. I drilled a couple new holes in the correct spot and mounted it up no problem. I also installed Hot Racing tow shackle mounts. I needed to open the shackle pin holes to 3mm for the pins to fit through the mounts. Nuts hold the shackle mounts in place on the rear of the bumpers.

f8550b661afdc5eaf03d67cb6160bd4d.jpg

Red tow shackles from Amazon. I think they look pretty good and now if I get stuck I can get towed out...lol

8b30c46d3a4f11cbcdee7562c2c72cf2.jpg

Same treatment for the rear bumper.

e2f65c02b9797f1a65cbb313cbec442b.jpg

Got this cool black bear decal from Finishing Touch as a free "thank you" for an order I placed with them. I thought it would look good on the hood so I stuck it there.

cda3110dd9e616e14ecd80e79e58bf5c.jpg

Wifey wants a lady drivers head for when she drives this rig so I found this cute little thing at Walmart. She doesn't know yet but she's about to donate her head to the project.
What can I say...I have a thing for blondes. :lmao:

7318f1f176dc3a6adb648c5527d20f06.jpg

Last edited:
Such a good looking Blazer! Super clean, but it'll look even cooler as it builds character with some trail rash. Awesome job!

Spent a little time tinkering on the Blazer today. I programmed the esc and got the lady driver installed.

Seems a little barbaric but I took the hacksaw to her...lol
Re-glued her neck back in place and drilled a hole in it to fasten it with a screw. Worked out very well.

4eccceb406309db0d291e9dec9bb8350.jpg

I can't help but chuckle when I look at her but I actually think she looks good in there and wifey approves as well.

831598b81fe846c80abef1981ca97d4f.jpg

Size wise I think she suits the truck well also.

9f3443fbe033c5c2e49b31b60be6d286.jpg

Last edited:
I also got my RC Plate Shop license plates mounted today. My 3rd set from them and I'm quite pleased with them.

9b06681aa1b7ebb2675a9d2cde7ed4fb.jpg

Made a small aluminum bracket to mount the front plate.

c38449480699706c457ec8f679d275aa.jpg

The rear bumper came with a nice plate mount that fits in the hitch receiver. I forgot to take a pic of that but it worked perfectly.

b1ddb6c4f7cafc5731f8f6757899bc4e.jpg

The aluminum bracket made from 1/2" aluminum angle ca glued to the bumper.

23e0443458f316863e09fa0fb7e9c24f.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking Chevy trail truck Jim!"thumbsup"

I like what you have done to the bumpers. Adding the fairlead and shackle mounts changes the whole look for the better!

The blondie you picked for a driver looks great and does fit the look perfectly!

Nice plates! I just ordered another set myself yesterday. I see they are adding a scratch guard to them for free this weekend.

Good looking Chevy trail truck Jim!"thumbsup"

I like what you have done to the bumpers. Adding the fairlead and shackle mounts changes the whole look for the better!

The blondie you picked for a driver looks great and does fit the look perfectly!

Nice plates! I just ordered another set myself yesterday. I see they are adding a scratch guard to them for free this weekend.

Thanks B-MOW...the small details add quite a bit to the truck. I need to add a few scale items to the back area of the truck and I'm also waiting on an LED light set to arrive.

That orange looks fantastic on that truck! I’m waiting for paint to show up, hopefully my body comes out ok

New tire day today. I didn't mind the Nitto Trail Grapplers but I wanted something a little more aggressive.

So...I ordered me up some RC4WD Mickey Thompson 1.9" Baja Claw tires in the new X2 SS compound. These tires are soft and sticky!
I mounted them to some steel spoke wheels that I got off of Amazon. Good looking wheels and I like that the inner steel bead lock ring is a fairly heavy.
Good for some weight down low. The tires mounted up nicely on these wheels without having to fiddle around too much, something I was a little worried about.

15d7e141386545282a9421f666d2b16e.jpg

The Baja Claws are just a bit bigger than the Trail Grapplers. Hopefully not to much rubbing?

7ba7768b7257d5dd4c4a4e2f57f509ca.jpg

A look at the old verses the new. I quite like the new.

78d413a2a5e2ad595e99e5b29cfbcdea.jpg

The white steel wheels really look good on this truck. I also think they are a bit more "period correct" than the Proline Impulse wheels.

ff1670241ac0a5b67889d3d1983c7d4e.jpg

39bbdc93e9404948ab8b805bac0e3a66.jpg

Looking forward to getting these out on the trail for a little rip. Maybe tomorrow if the weather hold out?

Last edited:
Tires look good Jim! I got those same ones for my deadbolt, tires are super grippy, I might go back to the foams they came with though. The proline duals are kinda stiff, maybe they’ll break in haha

Back