• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

First time builder project - SCX10 II

Took the car out today to Belgium, for the 'Walk the Trial' event (near Antwerp). Great organization, and great routes.
Added a couple of scale accessories to the car for this occasion as well.

The car performed amazingly well. The stock tires really had tons of grip on the surface, and the bigger steering angle helped out in a load of tight spots. It's a great machine.

zLhDRkn.jpg

Sc4aNhR.jpg

yxBim5o.jpg

TKRfhSK.jpg

Last edited:
For a first rig you have really outdone yourself. Nice work. Also man that is a totally sweet place to crawl.

For a first rig you have really outdone yourself. Nice work. Also man that is a totally sweet place to crawl.

It was totally awesome, great job by the Demolition Team for setting it up.

Here's some more pictures from the trails

QYMxtKU.jpg

TXClJE2.jpg

D7Da8Yc.jpg

zVNc998.jpg

73F1W8C.jpg

110CXPY.jpg

Aq5oc91.jpg

2JBQE1L.jpg

bkQEhWJ.jpg

T8eTOkw.jpg

And of course, the group picture

5M0Xp5Q.jpg

The paint gave up trying to stay attached to the wheels. Removed what was left, painted the lettering on the wheels white, and added some small stickers.....

.... and then went to play in the mud :D

3dWkWqx.jpg

vtypDvM.jpg

and if you look closely, you can see the rccrawler.com bumpersticker :D

xlyv041.jpg

Last edited:
Time for another little update!

We did a night run with a group from www.rctrailforum.nl a while ago. Since I needed some more light for this, I soldered up some extra LED's and mounted them on the roof rack. After the run I cleaned up everything with some rubber seal on the connections and the rear of the LED's, and taped everything nicely.

YEWdIqF.jpg

That helped clean things up quite a bit. Since I didn't want any extra cables running through the lid I decided to make a little box to mount the lipo on the roof rack (the roof rack was still looking rather empty as well, so that's a bonus). Stole some coffee-stirrers from work, and went to work.

9y4Hs9v.jpg

glue, cut and file...

e2atSsT.jpg

.. and we have a nice little chest. Some fitting and 2 coats of clear later:

J6BuZXC.jpg

W3VyFIh.jpg

I also managed to pick up a set of used steel beadlocks on that night run. They needed a little work. I replaced the stupid steel hub-covers with some nylon rings from the local DIY store, and replaced the (terrible) scale hardware with some stronger stainless stuff.

RL9tTAO.jpg

s62fcAC.jpg

I managed to salvage the tires and foams by baking them off the plastic rims in the oven, and cleaned off the remaining glue with acetone. The tires came off looking brand new.

And the final result of these little changes:

EoGtG3V.jpg

Where did you get your roof rack I been looking all over for one that fits right. And awesome build I have gotten so many good ideas from this thread

Last edited:
Re: First time builder project - SCX10 II + first DIY mods

Amazing first build. Well done!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Messing around trying to make some sand ladders from perforated aluminium :)

7da38415db3f97831bcc568a322c771b.jpg

Not looking too bad on there:

3abebc61440ac74bf23d80291cd32e48.jpg

Yay new toys :)

b2ca124c6188a884e65aec7a2c174cda.jpg

Gmade 93mm XD Diaphragm shocks.

Last edited:

There, got these built with little trouble. The only problem I had was my own stupidity with sharp knifes.....

1c744edbf74b9cc32f54d0dcfbfe2cd7.jpg

Anyways, pretty please with the quality of these, apart from the top plastic ball.

34d92986e4104fd133d60a2b52bb672d.jpg

Since these are a bit thicker than the stock shocks I had to make some small aluminium spacers myself to make sure they cleared the shock hoops and wheel wells.

Front:
599bcfcab68834bb94a4ee498c11069d.jpg

And back:
bef2eab58b1d00ecfa26515585474db6.jpg

The springs seem slightly on the stiff side, but maybe they just need some run time. Otherwise I might order softer ones.

Altogether pretty pleased with them.

I really, really like the way your truck looks. Its a very nice combination of flashy but subdued and clean. :mrgreen:

How much light output are you getting from your roof LEDs?

I really, really like the way your truck looks. Its a very nice combination of flashy but subdued and clean. :mrgreen:

How much light output are you getting from your roof LEDs?

It's gotten a bit better after blacking out the back of the LED's and painting the inner of the buckets silver, but it's nowhere near the 3s lightbars.
I actually prefer it this way, it's a bit more realistic imo. Could get a bit more out them if I remove the grills, but I like the looks of them. Might eventually upgrade them to superbright LED's and up the voltage.

Superglue works great on cuts...stings...but works

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm lucky that I heal quick, and could manage with a band-aid. "thumbsup"

Been wanting some new bumpers. Could buy some but decided to try to build my own and learn something in the process.

Picked up some supplies for silver soldering at a local hardware store and some steel corner profile. U-profile sadly wasn't available, and square tube was too large to my liking, so started with making my own square tube from 2 corner profiles.

a2df3db6372e30ba8e704cc695728faf.jpg

133fa331fd3f2642ee524f42b9f990b2.jpg

First attempt at silver soldering ever

4b0fdd41538ffc2478e2304ac4e0b6e3.jpg

Next to make some notches to angle the bumper

dd6630a33b5457bfd570bd8c990220ac.jpg

And solder them up

666f4863d088f7d3c1872be774435117.jpg

Since I wanted a closed bumper, I left some tabs on both sides

9bc3b47bf0de9488da658b4c11a5c003.jpg

Folded them over, tapped them shut with a hammer, and soldered them up

90dcd2529b1b34c067b85098778516a4.jpg

After some cleanup

179d2730346a8eb2f9e68b76420a0e3f.jpg

And a mockup how it should end up looking like on the car

4f071ec6218785b3fc6b4a83c41d21af.jpg

Pretty happy with how it's turning out. I'm getting better with the soldering. Want to make attach points for tow hooks still, a fair lead and need to figure out the mounting.

Back