• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

FCX18 - K10 - MEGA TRUCK Stance -- +2 Inches width!!!

WRXronald

Rock Crawler
Ok hey crew, I'm usually over in the Large Scale rigs forum or under a rock somewheres..... But like the rest of you prolly, we all love a cool micro that just goes in the back pack for a walk with the fam at the park and not a care in the world if it breaks on the trail!!!

I give you.... FMS FCX18 ---- how it should have been in the first place lol!!!!

MEGA WIDE STANCE ---- +2 Inches overall width --- using WPL Portal axles (all metal gears) and 70mm+ mud tires.

I had bought this rig just to have something incredibly cool looking but stock and easy to thrash and not worry about.... it broke on the 1st drive in less than 20 minutes :confused:

I didn't know it only came with plastic ring & pinion. So silly it seems -- they went and upgraded the transmission to all steel gears, also the portal gears are steel. Why leave the ring & pinion to fail on us like that? ? ?

Anyways, I bought the steel ring & pinion upgrade and in the meantime a set of WPL Portals that seemed junky and I got a refund for --- I decided to see what they can do by going thru all the gears with a fine tooth comb and a plethora of marine grease ----- they're actually pretty darn good overall --- I'm not mad at them.

Fitment was tricky here and there but not too bad --- mounted shocks on the chassis rail for a quick ride height boost about similar to 5 inch lift.

Chassis mounted servo setup --- looks good and finally got it working ok. Going to upgrade to a better servo though -- metal gear etc.

Slightly shorted front and rear lower links -- maybe had to take them down 2-3mm max.

Other than that -- custom little sandwich plate mod on the WPL axle brackets to accept the front triangular 1-piece 3 link bar up front --- and used the stock drive shafts.

Here is mock up, also currently uploading first drive impression and a little "how to" to the Tube that I will post here soon. And I had it on the rocks this afternoon a bit so will have another vid out tomorrow.

And also already put large tires 74mm on the stock beadlock wheels and will post a nother vid of that in coming days. I think it looks best with the stock wheels and even bigger tires so far --- promise not to keep you guessing on it for too long!

Quick Mock-Up short - -

Quick test run on the bench - -
"
"

Last edited:
Couple more vids...

Tires and wheels combo's - on the scale - going to go with the beefier set on stock FCX18 wheels -- looking awesome!

1st drive on the bench - testing for functionality -

2nd drive - out on some rocks around the house - definiatley seems functional, improved the steering a wee bit!!

Overall Verdict ---- I'm into it!! Looks awesome, loving the wide stance rigs lately -- so stable on the terrain !!!! Will keep working at improving steering (servo is only temporarily taped into place for these vids and was starting to get sloppy and loose by the end!!!)

Wait till you see it in the stock wheels and 74mm mud hogs....... LOOKS PHENOM!!!!!

Last edited:
Always taunting and tempting me my man! $65 vs my free set....... hmmm. Those looks pretty sweet for sure!! SO HEAVY THOUGH.

Everyone's always building for weight -- I get weight down low is what its all about but Idk, light weight is less azz to haul up the hill.

For the money ---- these MN's might be a better deal, I have two sets already ---- can have 3 sets and $ left over lol for the TRXM Brassies!!

Chassis mounted servo -- idea for using stock servo mount bracket - JB Weld into chassis --

Chassis mounted servo -- bracket in, servo in, functioning steering with decent throw overall comparatively --

On the rocks earlier (servo taped in place) -- testing BIG 74x28mm mudder tires with super soft blue silicon inserts - on stock wheels --

Well this darn rig --- failed the center transmission as soon as I got metal wheels with 5mm hex (stopped the wheels slipping on the WPL Portal axles).

Unbenounced to me the darn thing doesn't just have plastic ring & pinion --- it also has plastic transmission gears!!! That seems dumb. I thought somewhere I heard the K5 long wheel base versions had finally got the metal gear transmissions. :(

Anyways --- ordered a set of metal gear guts for it and hopefully then it will hold up decently!!!

Ok well I got the metal gear kit for the transmission today.... what a joke. Doesn't even come with the proper parts to fit the K10 2-speed transmission --- I tried to do as much research as reasonable - - the ad clearly states the kit is for "FCX18". ?

Somewheres along the way the plastic set is different than the metal set -- and the metal shaft that carries the shifting gears and shift fork is not only different by being about 1mm shorter (no big deal), a bigger deal though is that it sandwiches together on a 5 sided hex spline on the shaft (plastic set used a 2-flat sided spline on the stock shaft) and while that is no issue in and of itself, the hex spline on the metal kit is 2mm longer running up/down the shaft --- So when you sandwich the shifting gears together, and put the case back on, the case does not go on all the way (slight gap) because the gears are sitting against the hex spline too far apart from each other - compared to the plastic set and stock metal shaft. So they're not interchangeable with stock shaft and the kit shaft doesn't fit due to the spline width. Get creative, or take your ball and go home.

Took a good bit longer than I wanted to get it all sorted.... of course!

I put the shaft in my drill, and took to it with a Dremel grinder wheel and removed 2mm of hex splines from the shaft so that its smooth in that 2mm area and the top gear can go on a little further, making the sandwich same width as stock -- case closed (lol quite literally!)

I'm quite blind in my old age and I really had to get up close and personal as I took material away --- def requires a delicate hand!

You'd think these would be just drop-in replacements --- close but not quite!!!

Got all the parts in and the gears correctly placed -- also as the output shaft is a touch shorter - have to also trim down the outdrive cups so they don't rub the trans case. PITA.

Now it overheats terribly alot as I think it's alot trying to turn the WPL portals.

I added a heatsink and laptop fan to cool things down a bit.

The Treal gears fit much better.
Yeah man, I sure hope so, I made the mistake of trying to buy the FMS gears... DUMB. Why is FMS such JUNK? Why are they even bothering trying with this stuff?

Check this out? The spur gear was 100% out of straight from the small gear it rides with..... bent out of shape from the package so back the trans won't spin and near burned down the whole system lol!!

I am giving one more shot -- bought a full metal transmission and gears kit --- we'll see -- no high hopes, but can return it if it sucko's!!!

On a lighter note -- if the metal FMS 2-speed "all in one" with metal gears is a failure as well - i'm upgrading to the MN metal 3-gear - I figured out how to get a 2212 brushless outrunner in one of those transmissions (I think) so will go with sinewave AM32 super slow brushless setup on it and figure out how to squeeze/sandwich it in place. Slow is all I really need.

And check this patina job!!! Haven't seen a cleaner one on the Tube yet! ;) Wood-fired flat bed!! (just wanna say I had my flatbed out BEFORE the vids came out on the latest FCX18 flatbed, those ratty battards).

I emailed FMS to get confirmation from them that the known issues with their steel transmission gears sets were resolved . Three weeks later they responded with a yes . I ordered a set , installed them and they didn’t fit in the case . I had no patience to fit every gear with an dremmel so I ordered the Treal set and problems solved. That was the last FCX upgrade purchase I made . I’m happy to see that Injora has now come out with metal ring and pinion gears much cheaper than the Treal gears .

I just watched your trans gear video. I didn’t get any new shafts from what I remember and the gears I got were grey instead of black . I had no problems with the clutch dogs but the trans gears themselves were tight in the case when assembled. I kept the steel FMS shift parts , used the Treal gears .

I just watched your trans gear video. I didn’t get any new shafts from what I remember and the gears I got were grey instead of black . I had no problems with the clutch dogs but the trans gears themselves were tight in the case when assembled. I kept the steel FMS shift parts , used the Treal gears .
hmmm....

Yeah well tight in the case is one thing but why is the Q? All weird parts and fitment -- I can deal with some of that across various vehicles and solve those issues. I can t solve a spur gear set that is completely cast wonky and warped. No way for me to repair that to the point of straightness, so it goes right back to Ali. Just a waste of time is all.

Make one or two amazing hard bodies and the whole internet creams over your product (me included) meanwhile the guts continue to be junk (I should say I like the chassis, shocks, and 4-links at least for the underneath parts). I mean WPL upgrades are better than this stuff come on!

I have never purchased anything on Ali express. Seems like it hit or miss with the quality of parts there.
Oh wow really -- yeah i've bought a TON of rc parts on there the last 2 or so years --- really gotten extremely lucky and most of the stuff I picked up has been quite awesome. I'm a finicky shopper though and will return as needed and make my case why they need to cover return shipping (case in point the FMS bent metal gears).

I just got the full metal gear case transmission that comes from FMS fully assembled with hardened steel gears in it. All the gears are straight, YESS!!! And the transmission spins smoothly, YESSS!!!

But on no, I could not get low gear --- would not shift into low gear at all. Just spins free.

I disassembled for marine greasing, and found the low speed gear needs a 1mm thick shim (M3 shaft) underneath it between the gear and the case --- otherwise it sits against the case and the drive chuck (part that engages back & forth from the low gear to the high gear) can't in far enough to engage the low gear. Add the shim, the space is taken up, the gear it pushed further on the shaft and away from the case, and so when the chuck shifts towards the low gear it can actually push into and engage the gear.

That fixed it, greased and now it runs smooth as butter and shifts awesome!!!

I will have a vid soon driving on the rocks but I tried to shoot vids today and quickly blew out the final weak point --- plastic drive shafts between transmission and axles.

I had a steel CVD version that fit the front, but the rear is LONNGG and the small CVD's I had were all too short. I can't find one made yet for the K10 rear end in metal -- -does anyone have a link for a 90mm metal drive shaft that fits on 3mm pinion shaft (I'm running WPL portals w/3mm metal pinion)?

In the meantime --- the Axial Capra 1/18 uses a 85-110mm or somethiing like that so a set of those for $23 should work. I didn't want to spend the money so I adapted a TRX4 drive shaft, used brass tube to couple it down to size to fit the smaller pinion -- crazy eh!? In the end it fit and works good enough to hold up for now -- sturdy enough I don't think its going to strip out again.

Vid tomorrow --- it crawls AWESOME when its not breaking -- the extra width and metal wheels and big 74mm tires really wake it up as a Rock Crawler.

I was wondering if you could take a measurement for me . I’m looking for the distance between the frame rails of your FCX18 . I’m looking to try to swap that motor and Trans into a FMS Toyota Hilux.
Thanks .

I was wondering if you could take a measurement for me . I’m looking for the distance between the frame rails of your FCX18 . I’m looking to try to swap that motor and Trans into a FMS Toyota Hilux.
Thanks .
measured with a caliper I come back at 36.5mm width inner of rail to inner of rail. I'm thinking its a drop in, no?

I'd really like to funk up some sort of motor mount for a 370 to fit into the FCX 2 speed transmission or even a brushless 2212 Outrunner setup would be over the top power --- the metal one with brass gears that I got is really nice and spins quite fine --- I imagine it would hold up to quite a bit more power abuse than these 180's are puttin' down. I could be wrong though, also have the one with steel gears --- it should be really hardy too I would think at least a 370 would do it and give the rig the power it wants for turning alot bigger tires - i'd like to go 80-85mm for a MEGA setup!

I have a spare metal case trans with precision brass gearset its the red/silver two tone case --- the high quality version -- it's pre-assembled and runs very smooth and doesn't need any special shimming to shift properly out the box. I opened the box and confirmed by hand that it shifts and spins freely in both gears.

Yours for a fair price if you want/need it. I bought two different ones (just in case) and the first one I got - the cheaper version - did end up working out after proper shims were added to high speed gear.

I will likely just return this higher end one but it's already here in the states so just a thought for ya...

The steel gear versions have been hit and miss it seems depending on gear quality. I think with the brass gears it just easier to achieve that machining precision on such small parts if I had to guess. It's wayyy smoother by the feel of hand.

measured with a caliper I come back at 36.5mm width inner of rail to inner of rail. I'm thinking its a drop in, no?

I'd really like to funk up some sort of motor mount for a 370 to fit into the FCX 2 speed transmission or even a brushless 2212 Outrunner setup would be over the top power --- the metal one with brass gears that I got is really nice and spins quite fine --- I imagine it would hold up to quite a bit more power abuse than these 180's are puttin' down. I could be wrong though, also have the one with steel gears --- it should be really hardy too I would think at least a 370 would do it and give the rig the power it wants for turning alot bigger tires - i'd like to go 80-85mm for a MEGA setup!

Well thank you for taking the time to help me out . The FMS 1/18 frame measures 32mm inside . So not quite a drop in but I’m going to be looking into it deeper.

Huh that's interesting I didn't realize the 1/18 short chassis for the Hilux would.be any different except just shorter? Is that maybe similar to the 1/24 FMS chassis then?

But I thought they sold the 2speed 1/18 trans and the 1/24 trans as the same item for both trucks. It was confusing as I was shopping for gearsets at first I wasn't sure what was right it seems like everything was sold for the "FMS 1/24" but always was saying compatible with 1/18. Must be the short chassis that compatible with 1/24 transmssion?

The bottom portion thats sits between the rails is narrower by a fair margin but the top portion above the chassis comes out just to the inner edges of rails.... so maybe you could get it down in just far enough? Not sure though could be real tight. I have to guess this why they widened the chassis going to the K10... fit the 2 speed?

Back