• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
SO i just bought a comm lathe and a diamond bit and lathe motor and a couple expensive brushed motors just so I can take my wraith in the water. Really wanted brushless but everyone said no. But now the Yeti has a waterproof brushless!:flipoff: WTF ! my brushed stuff has not even come in the mail yet and I already regret it! Someone make me feel better?

SO i just bought a comm lathe and a diamond bit and lathe motor and a couple expensive brushed motors just so I can take my wraith in the water. Really wanted brushless but everyone said no. But now the Yeti has a waterproof brushless!:flipoff: WTF ! my brushed stuff has not even come in the mail yet and I already regret it! Someone make me feel better?

This may may you feel worse, but you can get brushless motors from Ebay that are waterproof for 20-25 dollars. Do they run hot? Yes. Are they the best money can buy? No. Are they better and cheaper than an old fashioned brushed motor? Absolutely.

I have completely submerged my Castle 3800 KV motor several times and it runs perfectly.

This may may you feel worse, but you can get brushless motors from Ebay that are waterproof for 20-25 dollars. Do they run hot? Yes. Are they the best money can buy? No. Are they better and cheaper than an old fashioned brushed motor? Absolutely.

I have completely submerged my Castle 3800 KV motor several times and it runs perfectly.

Why does this never come up when it is being directly asked?
O well I got a some super torquey HH motors now. Soon to be a pro comm cutter.

Let me assure you that if you submerge a brushless motor of any type it will screw it up over time. Even the velineon motor gets it's bearing screwed up and that needs replacement (I hate that motor btw) but seriously you'll end up ruining this motor if you keep it up..these are meant for racing not freaking trailing or water runs! It's your motor go ahead and screw it up but I certainly would NOT run that in the water anymore!

Thanks for the great review,looks like a well thought out and built truck.Was wondering if it will be available in kit form any time soon.

For newbies out there ( like me )

it would be great if you can explain what a closed or open differential is.... and why one is better than the other.

As for oil, I wouldn't even have a clue how to open my shocks.

I now have an ECX Torment, and a brand new Thunder Tiger eMTA. I drives these out on the front lawn and haven't put much time on them,
but wonder how often u must change the oil. I guess I'll have to Youtube how to change oil in an RC vehicle shock, hopefully somebody has made a video like that.

closed diffs are diffs with oil inside them. open diffs basically means both wheels can and will spin at different speeds to help with cornering. locked diffs mean both wheels spin at the same speed, no matter what. this is used in most crawlers to help with traction and grip. if you wanna know more details, Google's your best friend. ;-)

**Subscribed to this thread from Singapore!**

Thanks for this thread badger, lovin' it!

Let me assure you that if you submerge a brushless motor of any type it will screw it up over time. Even the velineon motor gets it's bearing screwed up and that needs replacement (I hate that motor btw) but seriously you'll end up ruining this motor if you keep it up..these are meant for racing not freaking trailing or water runs! It's your motor go ahead and screw it up but I certainly would NOT run that in the water anymore!

Both brushless and brushed motors have bearings. That damage to bearings affects both motor types.

I am not advocating that these motors should be used in a pool. I am saying that they can survive. I can service a motor with the best of them, so I am not too worried about anything going wrong.

Brushless motors will continue to improve and brushed motors will eventually go the way of the dodo bird and buggy whip.

I also hate the Velineon motor. It's expensive, and there are far better options available.

ah thanks !

funny thing though, a diff, is a gear box, so wouldn't all gearboxes have to be closed ? or encased in plastic or metal ? otherwise the gears would be showing and die in minutes if running through dirt and sand.

closed diffs are diffs with oil inside them. open diffs basically means both wheels can and will spin at different speeds to help with cornering. locked diffs mean both wheels spin at the same speed, no matter what. this is used in most crawlers to help with traction and grip. if you wanna know more details, Google's your best friend. ;-)

ah thanks !

funny thing though, a diff, is a gear box, so wouldn't all gearboxes have to be closed ? or encased in plastic or metal ? otherwise the gears would be showing and die in minutes if running through dirt and sand.

You need to watch this video. This shows how a differntial (meaning an open differntial) works. A closed, or "locked" differential just means both tires always spin together.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/K4JhruinbWc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/K4JhruinbWc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here you go Mr.Boring...
2014-08-10141744_zpsebcbc93a.png

How many times do you need to ask the same question?

Wake up and read the threads like everyone else does !

:flipoff:

Last edited:
Back