• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

Awesome build man nice work.

What size washers did you use for the link/shock mounts?
Not sure but I'll measure them tomorrow. I made 1 mock up a while ago with the size I used then tried to make some using a little smaller washers and it didn't work out. The ones I used, the inner diameter is just slightly bigger than the axle diameter so they fit somewhat snug against it.

It appears like it could be top heavy. I wonder if it would help to use shorter shocks and lower it a little?"thumbsup"

It appears like it could be top heavy. I wonder if it would help to use shorter shocks and lower it a little?"thumbsup"

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have some tinkering to do when I get my wheels. It's setup for the stockers. I had full articulation without rubbing the body. As far as it being top heavy, the battery sits really low in the chassis and the axles are pretty hefty. I'll be weighting the wheels too eventually.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure I'll have some tinkering to do when I get my wheels. It's setup for the stockers. I had full articulation without rubbing the body. As far as it being top heavy, the battery sits really low in the chassis and the axles are pretty hefty. I'll be weighting the wheels too eventually.
What's your skid clearance and total rig height? I've found my truck to be very stable on off camber stuff. Also how do you have your shocks setup? I run mine at about half droop and more vertical to limit the flex a little.

I will take some up to date pics of my setup and show you here after a while. I'm at work, so it might be tomorrow. I just redid the shock location again, and I think I'm finally happy with them. (hoping that the new tires don't rub the springs like the stockers did.) I'll be back with pics for ya later.

And as far as measurements go, when I get my wheels mounted I will get those for you. Where exactly would you like measurements taken from? Body on or body off? And due to the overall width of these trucks, mine is pretty stable in off camber situations. I've never had a rollover yet. (knock on wood)

Do your shocks still have the stock 20wt? What did you change on the slider mounts?

Whatever weight oil was in there was WAAAAY thicker than 20wt. I'd say more like 60 or even 70. I filled them with good ole Axial 30wt, and they are good to go.
The slider mounts I made taller so I could mount the sliders closer to the body. They are even with the lower chassis now...... And the old ones were a bit ugly. I took my time with these new ones.

And as far as measurements go, when I get my wheels mounted I will get those for you. Where exactly would you like measurements taken from? Body on or body off? And due to the overall width of these trucks, mine is pretty stable in off camber situations. I've never had a rollover yet. (knock on wood)
Center skid clearance and total height with body on is what I was curious about.

OK, when I get my tires mounted back up, I'll let you know. Total height to the top of the windshield, or to the light bar?

Whatever weight oil was in there was WAAAAY thicker than 20wt. I'd say more like 60 or even 70. I filled them with good ole Axial 30wt, and they are good to go.
The slider mounts I made taller so I could mount the sliders closer to the body. They are even with the lower chassis now...... And the old ones were a bit ugly. I took my time with these new ones.
I called nitrorcx the other day just to ask about the shock oil wt. They told me the shocks I ordered come filled with 20wt. I have yet to open one up and check. I got some losi 30wt I got for these if I didn't like how they performed stock. Might try leaving 2 as is and changing the other 2 for a comparison.
The parts you make look great compared to the stuff I make with hand tools.

Thanks. I went to college to be a machinist, and CNC programming, but I'm a Mechanic at a factory. Go figure. Lol, at least they let me use their fun tools and machines!

As far as the shock oil goes, it seemed a lot thicker to me when I dumped it, but I could be wrong. I DO know there is 30wt in there now. Lol

Thanks. I went to college to be a machinist, and CNC programming, but I'm a Mechanic at a factory. Go figure. Lol, at least they let me use their fun tools and machines!

As far as the shock oil goes, it seemed a lot thicker to me when I dumped it, but I could be wrong. I DO know there is 30wt in there now. Lol
Is there any way I could get a couple of those 4link mounts?

It'd probably be quicker if you made your own. I have no idea when I'll get a chance to be in the shop again at work. (my line was down for the night and I had spare time). All it is is a piece of aluminum angle and some 1/4 aluminum plate.

It'd probably be quicker if you made your own. I have no idea when I'll get a chance to be in the shop again at work. (my line was down for the night and I had spare time). All it is is a piece of aluminum angle and some 1/4 aluminum plate.
I thought they were made from 1 piece that's why I asked. I might see what I can come up with later.

Got the front link/shock mounts done. Compared to a rear.
0625334e11a2285840d3b3d9cd1d1f0e.jpg

I mounted these a little different than the backs. Also changed the oil in the other 2 new shocks to 30wt. The stock oil did seem thicker than the 20wt I was told it would be. Here's the new setup.
Rear
e03cc7f5299f12583dd73c62947dbd98.jpg

Front
acdd23dc7a7cd27b77ef0848924fbbb0.jpg

Skid center clearance is slightly over 4" and total rig height is just under 10".
e25357fb3260488be4443500f9924853.jpg

Some quick testing in the driveway.
e0561edcb1c63a6d64243ffef2424639.jpg

1b3c355bd419f52b7572d935de325f23.jpg

And max flex shots.
4a859a243f633f0921a8f81642a4fbca.jpg

fbaa2ea6d792e547a994bcd78e0330dc.jpg

Back