• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Crawl Space's SFXJ - unlimited budget quick build!! PICS ADDED

Crawl Space

Rock Crawler
Crawl Space's SFXJ - unlimited budget build!! PICS ADDED

Hello all, I have been waiting awhile now for the right moment/inspiration to build a C2 rig. Well, I decided it's going to be an XJ! Since I'm from the North Bay Area in CA I thought it would be cool to go with an orange and black Giants paint theme! It just so happens to be my highschool colors too ;-)

Don't worry if that's not you're team; the build will be focused on building a real 50 SORCCA scale-points no-holds-barred class 2 performer that I plan on taking to the 2015 ORVA Scale Nationals.

As of right now, I have amassed nearly all the parts needed to get the rig crawling. I plan to do my own metal work including bumpers, sliders and internal roll cage.

I hope to do frequent updates as I make progress on build.

Most recent progress photos:

VL1Hctql.jpg

QtIg93sl.jpg

Please check back for updates and subscribe!

Last edited:
Re: Crawl Space's SFXJ - unlimited budget quick build!!

Here are the parts I've collected so far for the build "thumbsup"

Structural stuff:

SCX10 chassis rails

Team KNK SCX10 screw set

SCX10 axle housings

2 sets of beef tubes

Dinky RC split skid (aluminum)

VP shock mounts (until I fab my own integrated shock mounts)

Gmade Aeration XD 93mm shocks

VP axle panhard/link mount

VP servo/chassis panhard mount

Drivetrain:

Steel tranny gears

MIP driveshafts

Axial Overdrive 36/14 and Underdrive 43/13 gears

Hot Racing lockers

Locked-up RC rear axle shafts

VP VVD's

Top Cad SLW compatible wheel Hexes

Wheel n' tires:

VP Methods in orange with black rings

1.9 Pitbull Growlers

CI double deuce foams (soft front, med rear)

Black .350 SLW hubs

Electronics:

Holmes Hobbies waterproofed BRXL

Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Pro 30t

Castle 10A BEC

Hitec 7950th

Futaba R2104GF receiver

Hey OK 4A winch relay

Servo winch made from fried Turnigy servo

VP 3" lightbar

Hey OK external battery LED switch

1w warm white LED's for headlights

20ma red LED's for tail lights

Body/ interior/paint:

Proline Jeep Cherokee body (11.8" WB)

Chrome XJ front grill from España

New Bright JK molded plastic 4 seat interior

Pactra "Fiery orange" lexan paint (to match methods)

Duratrax (Pactra) "metallic black"

Stay tuned for the build! I will try my best to be as thorough as possible while keeping the build pace exciting :mrgreen:

Last edited:

So where are the pics??? Get building! On another note, when are we gonna hit the rocks again?

So where are the pics??? Get building! On another note, when are we gonna hit the rocks again?

Lol, you're right; it's just plain unfair to start a build thread and not have anything to show for it ;-)

Let's get together before the New Year if possible "thumbsup"

The first pic of the SFXJ: a crudely trimmed proline XJ body (# 3321) with the New Bright JK interior...

NY86d9jl.png

And a shot of just the interior...

S5z7pjFl.png

Methods all buttoned up - the CI foams cut by Eddie make these a dream to assemble!

Split skid is together with toyzuki's low cog motor mount & torquemaster pro. So far it all fits but is really close!

Next up is axles and shocks...

93BQSM8l.png

y0kOE0Nl.png

That theres a clooooose fit.

Sent from something we never saw coming 25 years ago.

Axles done! Just need to shim the pinion of the OD axle and wait for dlux no slop bushings from supershafty.

WMrUd9nl.png

And the obligatory mock-up shots before I hit the sack...

The build will resume Saturday morning 12/20/14

rCOssIsl.png

teWYlCRl.png

Getting ready to make allthread links - mocked up the body with the interior and axles to get an idea of link lengths.

Here's a few shots of where I think I want the chassis and body to sit (though the body posts have not been set at the correct height which makes the body sit too high in the back)...

ESPVVdGl.png

wwVLwGNl.png

xM3CVEsl.png

Sorry I've been lagging on updates - we had a bad in incident with a former roomate yesterday/ this morning :(

Grappled with major bumpsteer for a bit today - the VP CMS parts I got don't like the 8 degree setup. Trying to figure out that magic parallelogram :mrgreen:

Last edited:
HAHA! Bible Crawler!

Looks good.

HAHA! Bible Crawler!

Looks good.

Lol nope, it's a Webster test ;-)

And thanks! I think I finally found the magic parallelogram for the CMS setup which I'll post pics of when I get back home.

I'm actually running a 13t crawlmaster pro from another rig in that clip since the leads were already soldered. So smooth but I need to drop the pinion a few teeth. Visiting the parents for a few days so I'll resume building on Sunday.

Nice!

I like the interior. Whats it out of?

Edit: nevermind. Im a dummy. Clearly says nb jk. Sorry. Read that part the other day and didnt remember.

Last edited:
Back