• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler

Not really sure the Axial shafts and crosses are "better" than the stock shafts and HSP locker but we'll see. HSP lockers will go in my daughters new rig. Id rather do trial stuff in my rig, less chance of an upset 8 year old that way lol.
I've got the Axial crosses with modded stock shafts in mine. Works great!

Just installed some lights! Really nice set for $7
06cc43c293e8fb73c40a94194c59b40d.jpg
f6da79dd8ac024a37b5c1cae47bef9f6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock shafts with HSP spool is perfectly fine. No better or worse than axial bits. Never heard of anyone breaking either really.

Mirrored my transmission today using the stock case. I ordered an Axial case since it's drilled on both sides and looks super close. Long story short, our internals will not swap over into the SCX10 case. What I ended up doing is simply took my case apart, drilled a hole in what used to be the back half of the case, and reversed everything. Seems to have helped twist quite a bit in forward, made no difference in reverse but that's ok with me. Installed a whole bunch of aluminum goodies while I was at it also.

Last edited:
I just ordered one and I'm going to put a 550 sensored motor in it, the problem is it's 5mm shaft but I've found 0.6m heli pinions for it online.
I searched through redcat's site (I have their buggy and I know they mostly use .6m) but cant find any info. I'm worried it's 48+ pitch given the large spur.
Can anyone tell me if this is 48 imperial or 0.6metric?

Thanks!

It's metric on my HSP. Considering HSP make the E10 I'd go with metric. Or switch to an axial spur cus it will give you more options.

Including metal spurs which you might need if doing high speeds with brushless. Personally I think a 550 is overkill. Nothing wrong with the 540/5650 sized units. Unless you hsve found a crawler specific 550 sensored brushless? I know there is a speed passion 550 crawler motor. Don't know if it's sensored though.

Well there's also "48p metric" which is Robinson Racing's way of saying it's .6m. You can get away with it because it's close but wont be perfect. I did some cross reference and found it's 48p like axials. Redcat Racing 98060 Everest 10 540 High Torque Brushed Crawler Motor w/ Pinion
You're right %100 so I got metal CVD drives, aluminum locker and steel spur form aliexpress a few days ago. The 38t diff lock looks very much like my redcat buggy's bevel open diff im curious if i can put bevel gears in it.
The motor is an Atomik red 550 2650kv 7.5T Sensored. Closeout sale so why not? It's a 540 motor with 5mm longer magnet, the can is really only 15mm longer but the end bells make up sensor gear and removable front bell hardware.
It's low kv low turn because it's a Y wound. Max Current: 50A
Battery Cell Count: 12.6V so that's like 600 watts, nothing compared to a real 1/8th motor like my castle massive 40x74mm sensorless in an 8lb buggy.
Would you know the Final Drive ration? It's lile 87/14 * 38/17? * the transmission which I don't know.

Thanks!

K ima go OCD on this lol. My Tamiya .6m spur from an old hummer kit is 74T@45.6mm using a digital vernier. My vintage traxxass bandito spur which has smaller 48p teeth is 84t@45.55mm.
What's the diameter on the 87t E10 spur?

Ahhh snapped an axle... upgraded the motor to a RC4WD 27T crawler motor, the first time I got jammed up it snapped the axle.
a6de2ef53d95bc2e1c5e72bc80a0dd80.jpg

New motor has some torque!

Time for some Axial shafts. Direct drop in as long as you've got the Axial lockers. Perfect opportunity to do rear lockouts and one piece shafts also.

Time for some Axial shafts. Direct drop in as long as you've got the Axial lockers. Perfect opportunity to do rear lockouts and one piece shafts also.
What axial axles drop into the redcat housing? Does everything line up?
I have the Axial lockers in it already.

AX30420 direct drop in no modification required at all.

A real diff as in having spider gears inside them? No and those won't work with Axial shafts.What bodies have you guys used? I picked up a 1/10 scale Jeep Honcho body however it's WAY short. Seems the E10 is more like an 1/8 scale not a 1/10 scale.
Still pretty cool though. I wasn't aware it was possible, learn something new every day. If you're building solid axle but don't plan to crawl it's nice to know the option is there.

I have this 1/8th body Pro-Line 1980 Chevy Blazer Body 3244 for Monster Truck its the biggest I could find, waiting for my kit.

A real diff as in having spider gears inside them? No and those won't work with Axial shafts.

I think I found the answer sorry
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axia...kee-build-very-scale-scx10-3.html#post3768087

This genetlmen says HPI part works too and they dont nickel dime you for the pin (comes together).
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/534407-front-locked-rear-open.html#post5214100
http://www.amazon.com/HPI-Racing-86014-Differential-Sprint/dp/B000BM3G12

Not sure how well sealed it will be for say 60k oil. The rubber o ring should add some resistance too.
There's not a lot of rock obstables in NYC parks but there is a lot of grass and hard soil. And it's snowing today :)

What axial axles drop into the redcat housing? Does everything line up?
I have the Axial lockers in it already.

If you use the straight axles is the rear with the axial lockouts you will need a set of bearings 5x11x4

The redcat ones are 5x10x4. same thing for the front if you use axial knuckles

I think I found the answer sorry
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axia...kee-build-very-scale-scx10-3.html#post3768087

This genetlmen says HPI part works too and they dont nickel dime you for the pin (comes together).
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti/534407-front-locked-rear-open.html#post5214100
http://www.amazon.com/HPI-Racing-86014-Differential-Sprint/dp/B000BM3G12

Not sure how well sealed it will be for say 60k oil. The rubber o ring should add some resistance too.
There's not a lot of rock obstables in NYC parks but there is a lot of grass and hard soil. And it's snowing today :)

You might be able to find an open diff that might fit in the housing and mod axles to fit. But I see no point in doing so. Yes you could gain a bit of steering but you will have no traction to climb anything. once any wheel loses traction you are stuck. Did somebody say going through grass is better with an open diff? If they did they bumped their head:lmao:

I have had SCT 4x4's and 1/8 buggys and they do great on the track with open diffs. they do ok through short grass because they have power and speed. but to try and climb anything and they get stuck if both wheels on the front or rear dont have equal traction. lift or lighten one side and all power goes to one wheel with no traction. Yes you can add 1000-10000wt oil to semi lock the diff but you still get wheel spin.

You want a locked diff"thumbsup"

What are you guys running for motor / spur / pinion combos? Right now I have a 27 turn motor with the stock pinion and spur. I need more wheel speed at times and was thinking about going with the axial 20 turn motor and the 20 tooth pinion that axial provides with it for their trucks.

It's much cheaper to change the pinion

Try a 18t pinion first. It shouldn't get anything too hot and give you some wheel speed

I run brushless 25.5 on 2s 87/18 and I am happy with the top end. Should be about the same for the 27t

You just don't want to kill your slow speed control

After 2+ years we finally wore out the stock brass pinion gear so I will probably swap the whole thing for an axial gearbox as I have a spare. Then the only HSP part left in the whole truck will be the diff crown and pinions and the out drive cups. But i now have some axial ones so I'll swap them out also.

If you want more wheel speed try a 35T motor and buy a hobbywing wp1060 esc so you can run 3S. Mind you I don't think the stock drive shafts will last long. Mine broke when in stock form.

Back