• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

VP Currie axle delrin skid plate splitting at mounts, anyone else?

The heat gun tip is a good one... What I did was placed it in some hot water as was suggested earlier, then did my shoe-goo magic and this is how it came out. I haven't run it yet, but I hope to today, so I'll report back as to how it takes the abuse.

DMG, your skids might be the backup if this doesn't work. Do you find that the SS slides as well as aluminum over rocks? Seems to be pretty well established that Delrin will slide better than both, or am I mistaken?

Delrin_Fiberglass_Goo.jpg

I've sold over 100 AR60 axle skids - made from steel,
& not one complaint yet about the steel skids hanging up !

don't use soft steel !
& really - having a rig hang up on a steel skid,
the rig will have to weigh like 14 LBS - just to start to dig into a steel skid !

any plastic skids are useless - hit rock real hard @ speed & see what happens.
alum skids are useless - they really hang up !

IMO !
the DmG

ive been running metalheads on my c2 comp scaler for years. after some dremel work to round the edges off the diff caps they dont get hung up. granted they dont slide like a plastic axle, but thats the tradeoff with metals axles.

on the curries the ribs on the bottom sides of the pumkin are whats gonna get you hung up more than anything. ;-)

DMG, what are the chances you could do something like this for our use case (currie skid)? I like the added strength of the rod against the axle to keep it from moving when you bash things (more important on the front than the rear).

Or, do you think it's unnecessary given the currie already having the diff cover up and out of the way?

IMG_4317_zps5a322e7f.jpg

I have a set of Jerry's skids and they are awsome! they do not get hung up on anything!

also the skid I made out of the galvanized steel has a rockwell of 95. It does not hang up on anything either, slides over rocks like butter...

Last edited:
I've built 6 sets of Curries, on the first 5 sets the skids have held up great. I built the 6th set last night and both front and rear skids snapped within a few minutes of installing them. The were just sitting on the bench and snapped.
I sent VP an email but no response yet.

Finally did a full shakedown with my Curies today. My rear didn't even come with a skid so i made it out of kydex. No issues all day and still there. Now the front is a different story. 1 climb and it snapped. Total garbage.

I am having a heck of a time making a template for the 61.5mm distance between holes and 5mm C2C on the holes. The back was easy for some reason.

I need to send DMG a PM to make me a few and get his OR60 skids.

That thin strip does look cheasy. If you guys are building them you My swell make them wider.

Could the skid be tied into the curries cover?

I know its gonna get all smashed to bits, but could lexan be used? That way a person could get some skins made by someone like krawler koncepts, and have a custom replaceable skid....if you get a whole sheet done you'd have a bunch of extras

I think its crazy to run anything at all for a skid on these or any other axle housing. You sacrifice precious ground clearance by putting anything at all on them. A lot of the skids in this thread are just going to hang up on the rocks.

If you really must use stainless and don't paint it. It will slide better than mild steel.

If you think that aluminum axle housing is holding you back from driving well then you need to work on your tire placement and line choice.

I've had no issues with the skids. They look just like the 1:1 and performs good imo.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Back