• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Spiike's SCX10 Jeep 4 Door (Caution Picture Heavy)

Here is an update

I mounted the rack, and simple light bar, I think I might switch the lights around, take the bumper lights and switch them for the 2 fog lights that axial calls the rock lights as well. but for now this is where it sits till i purchase more white leds and with it resisters for the reverse lights, they are too dim with not enough power coming out of the esc to run them in parallel, I measured and only received 5.6v on the volt meter. so i'll purchase 100 ohm 1/8th resister when i have my budgeted rc money lol. with a 3.2v led at 25mA using this link with calculator. Very good resource for doing your own led kits.

http://www.rc-cam.com/led_info.htm

That should solve that problem later on when they come in the mail

SAM_0819.jpg

SAM_0818.jpg

SAM_0817.jpg

I needed a place for my tools and stuff to sit for easy cleanup, A table top toolbox/workbench if I want to sit I just grab a board and work on the table.

SAM_0824.jpg

SAM_0823.jpg

SAM_0822.jpg

SAM_0821.jpg

SAM_0820.jpg

Different angle shots of wheel wells.

SAM_0826.jpg

SAM_0825.jpg

SAM_0827.jpg

I mounted the interior. Added a connector to disconnect the Hardtop from the rest of the body, so that way i can remove hardtop on sunny day. Had to cut rear wheel wells. Still have to shave off little area where the transmission sits. and remove 4mm of rear shocks because the rear links are too long. and looks funny now, so this is a 12.8" wheel base not 13"

Added 16mm shock adapter to move shock down. Only on front so far.

Made 4 link for front using stock servo plate and drilled 2 holes.

Still got to paint interior with brush and clear coat that.

Update very picture heavy. I upgrade the links to home made aluminum tube over threaded rod with traxxas rod ends and metal balls to match.

SAM_0831.jpg

SAM_0830.jpg

SAM_0829.jpg

SAM_0856.jpg

SAM_0853.jpg

SAM_0852.jpg

SAM_0850.jpg

SAM_0849.jpg

SAM_0847.jpg

SAM_0845.jpg

SAM_0870.jpg

SAM_0851.jpg

SAM_0869.jpg

I didn't like the way the truck was sitting with the servo hitting the chassis and the bottom of my battery plate. So instead of buying bigger shocks, I mounted the stock ones exactly 16mm lower. which gives it perfect stance with the 4 link and doesn't hit the chassis near as much with the bump stops removed from the shocks

SAM_0843.jpg

Installing and mounting Interior Also making sure spur gear doesn't hit interior. I'm also going to remove 2-4mm off of the rear links or use the front links in the rear with spacers to make it fit the rear wheel well perfectly. I belive the wheelbase is 2mm too long or the front is suppose to be farther out i'm not sure? I compare to the pictures i posted before about the 4 door jeeps in 1:1

SAM_0857.jpg

SAM_0837.jpg

SAM_0836.jpg

SAM_0873.jpg

SAM_0872.jpg

SAM_0871.jpg

Articulation

SAM_0841.jpg

SAM_0840.jpg

SAM_0842.jpg

Final Product for today

SAM_0867.jpg

SAM_0866.jpg

SAM_0865.jpg

SAM_0864.jpg

SAM_0863.jpg

SAM_0862.jpg

SAM_0861.jpg

SAM_0860.jpg

SAM_0859.jpg

SAM_0858.jpg

That being said, Interior is installed, lights all work, truck runs, got a new drive shaft today, going to paint interior, install fabric for carpet like something not sure...

Still have to paint wheel wells and underside of the truck black if i can.

ALso haven't decided to go with axial links or traxxas links...

I don't think i'll go 2.2 neither, i'll probably stick with 1.9 but get a slightly larger tire, something 9mm larger like the 1.9 tsl super swampers. unsure yet.

still need 1/10 scale JI joe. paint his face like ICP, get a hatchet, axe, shovel, hoe, jack, cooler, probably make some of that stuff out of the stuff i find around the house...

so as mentioned above, i bring you more pictures of the finished product, and I hope you guys don't mind, but I went crazy with the camera, oh and I bring Videos! don't mind my daughter, shes 5 and is learning the camera in the videos lol

Short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcbfdIPCWrs
Long
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIoKrNnhaRQ

Other angles I tried

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums...10 4dr Jeep/?action=view&current=SAM_0909.mp4
http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums...10 4dr Jeep/?action=view&current=SAM_0914.mp4

btw audio swap on youtube sucks...

I took the interior and looked at it, cleaned the mud off and of course painted to match the body. that dull white was ick.

SAM_0880.jpg

SAM_0879.jpg

SAM_0882.jpg

SAM_0881.jpg

Clear coat to make it shiny
SAM_0881.jpg

Installed carpets
SAM_0883.jpg

SAM_0884.jpg

SAM_0886.jpg

SAM_0887.jpg

SAM_0891.jpg

Mounted in jeep
SAM_0890.jpg
SAM_0893.jpg

SAM_0894.jpg

Hard top on
SAM_0895.jpg

SAM_0898.jpg

Here is the dashboard details and accessories I picked up, and touched up with a bit of paint

SAM_0919.jpg

SAM_0918.jpg

SAM_0917.jpg

SAM_0916.jpg

SAM_0923.jpg

before dashboard was painted
SAM_0892.jpg

Made more scale bungees
SAM_0899.jpg

then went into mass production mode
SAM_0915.jpg

Oh and the Final Product of course, in my new course i made in my backyard,

SAM_0907.jpg

SAM_0906.jpg

SAM_0905.jpg

SAM_0904.jpg

SAM_0903.jpg

SAM_0902.jpg

I stared painting last week, started with the window tint, rims, and snorkel, I did all the rest of the painting cause I had to head back home to paint so i could use an airbrush kit

oh okay, that makes sense. those college dorm rooms suck eh. and airbrush thats a bonus. I used a spray can and hand brush for the smaller details.

my fiance wants to buy me an airbrush that way i can paint it all pretty like

OH I forgot, i started to build a mud hole. here she is. oh and i got a new paint job for my clean jeep!

SAM_0951.jpg

SAM_0941.jpg

SAM_0943.jpg

SAM_0944.jpg

SAM_0946.jpg

SAM_0948.jpg

SAM_0949.jpg

SAM_0950.jpg

I've had that for years, I got it for christmas one year I believe over 15 years ago. It was in a box with my other dinky cars that I've collected. When I decided to use the 4 door jeep, I had it sitting on a shelf with my other favourite hot wheels cars. I saw it, and realised it was a 4 door the same as my RC body. So i thought about having a Mini-RC for my big RC LOL except no remote control, its just a hot wheels pretending to be my 1/10th 1/10th scale RC, I also picked up a BMX and a Skateboard to go in my Jeep LOL those tiny little finger skate boards. they were cheap, found it at the dollar store today.

So i broke all the Yokes that came with my kit, so i'm running without rear wheel drive for now. my front metal yoke is messed too. keeps sliding off. same as my rear problem. LHS is ordering a hole crapload of MIP drive shafts. Can't wait to pick them up!

I built a skid plate to protect the steering links a bit, and hopefully slide up rocks instead of just stopping dead in its tracks when it catchs the steering link.

I tried making a bumper for the rear, out of some sort of steel, and used tin solder and managed to get it on their good, its just too bad i screwed up on the cardboard bumper i made. I made the angles of the lower part too short and now the top half of the bumper is not as flat as I wanted it to. I will have to try again, and see if i can do it. but the videos i seen make it look 10x easier than when i try it and fail. LOL if i can't figure it out, i'm going to have to find somebody who can or buy pre-made bumper that i like from the vendors section or for sale section here i'm not sure yet, that costs way more money than i have at the moment.

Pictures later, back hurts need rest from yardwork. Cleaned up a section where I can play, found a ton of rocks, not quite finished yet, got cold after sun went down. and pictures of that later as well

Test fitting the exo cage i want to build one day, need lots more tubing than this peice though.
SAM_0952.jpg

Made a simple basic steering skid plate. Then shown how I mounted it.

SAM_0953.jpg

SAM_0954.jpg

SAM_0955.jpg

This is just a picture of the skid plate when the truck is resting (without body on) so there is a little more weight on the body that pushes the shocks down a little more.

SAM_0956.jpg

You can see here that when the truck is in full droop the steering link doesn't hit the skid plate unless its forced against the steering. but should act like a skid plate and slide over rocks, works better than hitting the steering link.

SAM_0957.jpg

Here is a picture of the shocks fully suppressed skid plate will go a little lower than the axle, however I don't think i'm going to be driving around with that much weight on the truck, but should be good like that. The only problem I see with this prototype is that when your caught on a rock, and you backup you end up catching the skid plate going in reverse. I did a few more bends around the edges and hope to solve that problem in another skid plate I can build after I learn from the mistakes of this one!

SAM_0958.jpg

I fixed this driveshaft with a button screw, then turned around and broke the U part of the yoke again. as i stated in previous post, this drive shaft is broken again. and I used all my yokes I got with my kit. I don't think I have any left.

SAM_0962.jpg

I was reading some other guys post and he said his is completely loose inside the bracket, so i removed the plastic ball and replaced with metal, I hope it lasts till my LHS orders me that 4 link plate I found the model number on the AX10 box and showed my LHS owner.

SAM_0970.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to add a picuture a while back when we were out at the park with the rocks and the hill climb. lol

228304_10150168027317085_600592084_7115163_3967840_n.jpg

My brother in law broke his shock tower. oh that sucked. was doing a hill climb and we were headed back down the hill, then it rolled, and hit a tree, rolled some more, still driveable and more articulation without it he says LOL I told him that we gotta upgrade everything to aluminum

Looks great! Love all the attention to detail!

Thank you, the only thing I don't like about this body is that it was formerly a new bright jeep, and the front window had new bright written across it, i carefully took the dremel and sanded the paint off, but left a scratchy surface, i tried using high grit sandpaper 600 to make it smooth, so I covered it up with stickers I got with my scx10 kit. SO that being said, it looks OK, but not 100% compared to the real 1:1 version.

Side note, saw a blue 4 door 1:1 version at the bank, and it had wrangler on the side under sport, the silver bumper, fenders, tire, hardtop all match 100% I checked it out, so maybe this body is a Wrangler sport edition?

Thank you, the only thing I don't like about this body is that it was formerly a new bright jeep, and the front window had new bright written across it, i carefully took the dremel and sanded the paint off, but left a scratchy surface, i tried using high grit sandpaper 600 to make it smooth, so I covered it up with stickers I got with my scx10 kit. SO that being said, it looks OK, but not 100% compared to the real 1:1 version.

Side note, saw a blue 4 door 1:1 version at the bank, and it had wrangler on the side under sport, the silver bumper, fenders, tire, hardtop all match 100% I checked it out, so maybe this body is a Wrangler sport edition?

70th anniversary jeep sahara. "thumbsup"

Back