• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

smogs H10 optic

For me Axial lost its soul when it got bought by Horizon. I would have preferred to see the Iconic brand remain in the hands of guys who are more personally invested in it . Not surprised Rich left. I don't know Rich personally, but I would have rather seen Horizon let him fix the Ascender rather than shit-can it altogether. Horizon buys success, admirable company's create it
Just the opposite for me. Axial started off as a great idea, but their quality sucked ass. The original SCX10 body mounts, etc were made of rubbery plastic that never broke, but it bent enough to make it useless. The axle housings were great to start. They were glass-filled. Then that magically disappeared from the axle housings and the other parts never improved. When Horizon bought Axial, I was so hopeful they would inject quality. They did, but only somewhat. The plastics from Horizon are much better, but the transmission on say the Capra just never worked reliably as designed.

Just the opposite for me. Axial started off as a great idea, but their quality sucked ass. The original SCX10 body mounts, etc were made of rubbery plastic that never broke, but it bent enough to make it useless. The axle housings were great to start. They were glass-filled. Then that magically disappeared from the axle housings and the other parts never improved. When Horizon bought Axial, I was so hopeful they would inject quality. They did, but only somewhat. The plastics from Horizon are much better, but the transmission on say the Capra just never worked reliably as designed.
I hear ya and don't disagree. However i feel inclined to point out that all the rc companies are necessarily improving their product. They all seek to remain relevant and are hence playing the game. They have to. As well, Boutique fabricators are continuing to get better and better and reach more people.

I am referring more to a quality that comes from a more personal place. People working for themeslves and their craft. Something that often gets lost when working for someone else in a cavernous environment. I am not saying that Axial sucks. All I am saying is they simply don't embody the spirit that would have been present at their inception. They are no longer Axial Racing, they are Horizon Hobbies.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am just a guy sitting here on the other side of the continent and Axial Fest looks pretty freaking amazing to me...

I think Traxxas entering the crawler world is the biggest reason Axial finally upped their quality. Without that competition, they probably would have continued to push out that soft plastic garbage. The Ascender just was not quite good enough to be a real threat.

Any more wheeling with this buggy. I really want one. hoping they come out with a kit. I just can’t afford the rtr at the moment and would put a Fusion in it anyway. Been watching your post hope to see more pics and opinions of it soon 👍

Any more wheeling with this buggy. I really want one. hoping they come out with a kit. I just can’t afford the rtr at the moment and would put a Fusion in it anyway. Been watching your post hope to see more pics and opinions of it soon 👍
After putting on the Treps i took it out on my small testing course in the yard. At first impression I like the change. It feels more planted and predictable. I like the wider tire and the more pronounced side biters.
I am away from home this week so no crawling for me. Will have it with me for a two week vacation in July. Look forward to getting it out on some granite.
A couple of shots on the back yard course. Not the best pics, but you can get definitely see how the new shoes are looking.
1000009794.jpg
1000009796.jpg

Attachments

• 1000009817.jpg
    1000009817.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
axial was going under before horizon tossed them a life ring i couldent even get stock replacement parts and they had nothing going forward
i do miss the old axial as a company though but they werent long for this world how they were going maybe they could have pulled it off who knows
anyway we still have axial fest kinda and proline by the fire and they still do the hammers although completely half assed compaired to what they used to do they still do it
and we still have axial for good or bad its still here so it is what it is

Treps look great! I too like a wider tire. They kinda remind me of the old smaller Flatirons from way back.

Did you notice any difference with those being 4.9" tall tires? It should only raise the CG by 1/8" or less so I'm hoping they dont disrupt the balance of a rig.

Did you notice any difference with those being 4.9" tall tires? It should only raise the CG by 1/8" or less so I'm hoping they dont disrupt the balance of a rig.
I haven't noticed any cg difference thus far. The size difference is definitely slight from stock but for me has translated into noticable appearance and performance improvement. I think what I have noticed mostly is the extra width. The pronouced side lugs have helped out too. They seem to help pull the rig clean up the gap lines on my test course.

Taking into account the dual stage foam upgrade I made with the switch, my initial impression is that these tires are helping in every way.

Back