• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod

Hoosierdady

Fan of wheelspeed
I started the body in the paint and body section but now that I'm getting to the tech and assembly I figured I'd start a actual build thread for it. Here's the link to the body section...
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/pain...tch-styrene-build-1929-model-tudor-sedan.html

Well, to speed things up I'll just post a few progress pics from the body work.
Here's the 1:1 on it's day of arrival.

I printed out a few spec sheets on the '29 Tudor. I cut the pic into 3 pieces for now. I'll cut a couple more out before it's all said and done. I'm using .40 and .20 styrene. The braces in the cab itself are just to keep things spaced evenly while I'm roughing out the main support pieces for the roof and sides.

I've got a lot of sanding to do as you can imagine, but for less than 2 hrs of work I think I've done pretty good so far.

I clocked 3 more hours on the build. As it stands I'm right at a total of 6 hrs in labor. I added some reinforcement to the b pillars. I used two strips of .40 styrene and carved a groove down the middle of it to create some detail. I had to cut the pillars to relieve some pressure on it that was causing a bow to form too.

I also added the side pieces and another layer of .40 styrene to the roof. Then I started sanding...and sanding....and sanding.

It's getting worthy of the shop now. I needed to add some side detail around the windows and the back. I used some .20 styrene for that. You can see one side versus the other. I still need to do around the windows and add a few other touches.

The rear window ended up being a little bigger than I wanted, but I might be able to make it smaller with some trim work.

Here's the passenger side before the trim...

I added some window trim and also the wheel well molding for the rear.

Next up was to start on the windshield frame.

After that I moved on to the firewall and gas tank.

After that I moved on to the interior and the base coat for the rust.

I tried to keep the dash as close to the real thing as I could. It's hard to see in the first pic.

But I backlit the gauges and used a amber LED to give it a old timey look. I've since coated the interior and exterior in the iron ore paint from Sophisticated Finishes. I used a sponge to stemple the paint on to give it a rough texture. The interior will get wooden strips for structural support just like the 1:1 has. I'm using a old dew rag for the cloth on the seats I think. I'm still up in the air on that as I may look into some cow print faux fur for it instead.

As I posted above, I had the body under the Iron ore paint to start the rusting process. I only did the interior because I don't want the rust rubbing off on my hands the whole time I'm building the rig.

I did some rust detailing on the steering wheel too but it's not in these pics. Here's a dash shot.

I nabbed a couple pieces form my 1:1 to incorporate into the build somewhere.

I built a front seat for it too. I used some styrene and strips of wood to make the seat. Then I distressed it and used some fabric to give it a "old Mexican blanket" kind of look. I had to distress the wood on the seat back too, so the whiskey barrel idea hit me.

I got a 1/8th scale engine from Shane Sczerba to hide the motor in.

I also got a front drop axle from a Tamiya King Hauler and some Weld racing dragster wheels. I've got a machinist working on some one off spinners for it to replace these plastic RPM knock offs.

Here's the overall vibe...

I ordered some Losi slider rear wheels that look very close to the same design as the front wheels. I'll detail them out once they show up. I'm thinking of using some semi tires for the rear. I'll widen them and make them into whitewalls I believe. Either that or I'll sand down some Sand Paw paddle tires to make some wide slicks. Overall I'm loving the outcome. This thing should have a really cool appearance once it's done. I'm going to use a servo to raise/lower the rear ride height along with some flint to throw sparks when I drop it mid run.

Last up, a shot from the side with the gauges lit up.

Looks sweet!
Thanks "thumbsup"

Love these vintage builds....killer talent, who says rust never sleeps!
"thumbsup"

Outstanding!, love the seat "thumbsup"
Thank you sir

Looks good so far. I think you need to make it into a Ratfink ride. Go with the ratrod look. Very good detail work.
No Ratfink here. I think Rick Grimes is going to pilot this beast but I'm not sure yet. I may try to find a Fonze looking figure for it.

that seat... amazing!"thumbsup"

Thanks "thumbsup".

In other news I made a new contact. I found a local guy who's into RCs and works at a company who does custom water jetting. So I'm having my custom frame rails cut out on a water table from 1/8" steel and just under 10mm wide. Here's the layout.

3 questions:
are you going to have the ghost rider drive this?
and will you put the fake nos can?
lastly, are you going for a mad max look?
"thumbsup"

Great build. I'm excited to see the chassis come together.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thanks "thumbsup"

You sure you would want to go for this look.
Nah, I want a more realistic look than Ratfink. Although I do think RF is BA.:twisted:

Love the seat idea. True innovation right there. Great work Hoosier
Thanks

3 questions:
are you going to have the ghost rider drive this?
and will you put the fake nos can?
lastly, are you going for a mad max look?
"thumbsup"
1-No ghost rider, Rick Grimes will be driving.
2-No fake NOS can (sorry)
3-No sir, just your average mild Ratrod look.

I love the rat rod look... and in a rc its just awesome!
Thanks, I'm fond of them myself.

Love the build, details are nice, but those rear tires have got to be smaller. IMO,!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Thanks man, and no worries...the rear tires will be ALOT smaller. Those pics were just for fun.

So there have been a few changes to the game plan. I'm using a different motor, a different engine and a handful of parts showed up too :twisted:.

I ended up getting a XL5 esc for it and my buddy Shane Sczerba hooked me up with a HPI 30t motor for it too. I switched to a different engine block than the yellow flathead because this other block is smaller and a little more to scale. I sliced a few pieces off and tested the block for fit...fits great. Very tight.

The block I'm using came with a 3 carb Offenhauser style intake. I'm using a standard high rise intake and 650 Holley on my 1:1, so it made sense to make my own intake to match up with mine.

So I chopped up the plastic intake and started forming my own using styrene.

I smoothed it all down and applied a coat of Model Masters Metalizers paint. The cool thing with this paint is that once it's cured and after a couple of coats you can hand buff the piece to bring out a natural shine similar to the metal/color that you choose.

I sprayed the block Hugger orange seeing as how it's a SBC engine and it's the same color as my 350. I also drilled out the head bolts. Some of you may have seen this coming, but it'll definitely be getting the Lockeduprc.com scale hardware treatment thoughout.

I applied a little rust to the block once the orange was dried. After this pic was taken I painted the freeze plugs bronze too.

Next on the list was mock up :twisted:. I think Rick Grimes will be navigating the rat rod.

I have no clue as to what brand they are or what they fit, but I was given some slicks for the project too. I'll probably be chopping the sidewalls off of some semi tires and using the "lack of tread" from these slicks for the center of the tires...maybe.

I got the Yota rear axle in as well. I also started distressing the axle so it wouldn't stick out so bad. I've got to figure out how or if I'm going to weather the front axle and wheels. I don't want those pieces to scream NEW and everything else be rusted and worn.

Last edited:
Like the route you are going. You should check out show on the Discovery channel called Vegas Rat Rod. There is a car on there that might give you some more ideas for yours. Narrow skinny slicks in the back.

It hurt to do it, but I had to rust out the rear axle. Making a brand new axle look like crap isn't normally my thing, but I think I did ok.

I got my Losi Slider wheels in too. The wheel pattern matches up with the front very well. Took me hours of searching Ebay and Google to come up with these.

I'll use the same Metalizer paint on the accents.

And last but most certainly not least the engine needed a oil filter. I thought about going ACDelco for the color contrast, but I've always been a fan of Fram, so Fram it is. I used fine texture paint for the black so it's kind of rough like the real thing.

I drilled out some holes on the engine and used more scale hardware from Lockeduprc.com. I also installed the oil filter and water pump.

I used a little dry brush method with some flat gun metal grey paint to give the pump and timing chain cover some depth.

The wheels ended up looking great. I used the handle end of a paint brush to paint the edge of the inside holes and added a few bolts to fill the beadlock holes on the lip. Weird how it only has 3 holes on each side. It must be for a mud/dirt shield for dirt track racing.

Time for some more mock up pics...

As a whole I feel like it's coming along great. My frame rails were in CAD as of yesterday and I'm hoping to get them back in a day or so.

Back