• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Phyro builds a SCX10 III

Looks good I like that color scheme too. My daughter on the other hand prefers the purple body..................

Last edited:
Well I got a shipment in today!! Some custom parts for the my competition body.
e82e76e612fb3a9c81a68be11f65b17d.jpg

The first of the parts is the battery tray. This battery tray is made to be adjustable, as I like to use 1300 3S and 2200 3S batteries. It fits the stock rear mounting location.

56a2d93f64630b33526fa7261483d151.jpg

182347be21cf7eaaecba4b089d5181bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second group of parts were front and rear body mounts. I designed these to use the stock mounting locations on 10.3. They fit the MST JP1 body.

7a756be33dbf39fc810a7599745d8e1e.jpg

4aa757c007ca38747ee6458cb5ad0f4a.jpg

It was kinda interesting designing these body mounts. The lower grill mounts are the same distance apart as the existing body mounts.

Here is the JP1 on the 10.3 chassis:
7d872c170a5a5b8905679bf5aabbe2db.jpg

6cf94f581ca9cd732e79fc498d7a881d.jpg

7d3a1280bc16123c206ebb892f208cec.jpg

The inner fenders are a great fit on this body. Also the floorboards fit the width of the body quite well. Almost like this body was meant to go on this truck. [emoji1]

More to come soon!

I'm lovin' how the JP1 looks on there! Great job on designing the 3D printed body mounts. It all fits like a glove!

Can't wait to see more!

This weekend was a busy one for the SCX10.3 (name pending). First up was finishing a few more 3D printed parts for the build.

I started with a new bumper and winch mount. I designed the winch mount for a Reefs Micro 99, and to use the existing 4 holes on the bottom of the bumper mount.

de8f0419ec424632d51c096db51cae28.jpg

1005e64036448bbebda09d31a41ad6d3.jpg

The second part of the weekend was painting the body. I did a combination of Liquid Mask and Tamiya spray cans. I painted the body using the following order:

— PS-5 Black
— PS-16 Metallic Blue
— PS-41 Light Silver
— PS-23 Gunmetal

While painting I tried warming the cans with hot water, and it was a night and day difference between this one and the purple one. Highly recommend it.

Other new parts in the photos include custom rear bumper, rock sliders, and roll hoop. Onto the pictures!

fb6997a6bafca123950eaccf0399a73a.jpg

f6b4ebdcdbd55297d94e7fe77159214b.jpg

91fb8dbc2e42b6219d4a8f51b9d563aa.jpg

Next up is different shocks and the truck’s first comp of the season!

Nice! Body turned out great!"thumbsup"

Love the look of the front bumper! It sits in nice and tight and looks great with the body!

Love the body colors, and they match up with the wheels great!

Broke down and ordered a III yesterday. All these cool builds got me inspired.

Nice! Body turned out great!"thumbsup"

Love the look of the front bumper! It sits in nice and tight and looks great with the body!

Thanks B-MOW71! The bumpers are based loosely on the Jeep Sandstorm concept.

Love the body colors, and they match up with the wheels great!

Broke down and ordered a III yesterday. All these cool builds got me inspired.

Nice! Which one did you get?

Decided to swap out the shocks, as they already started to leak. I had some takeoffs from my Enduro setting around. These are Silver/Blue ones from the Builders Kit. Did a strait swap of the springs for now.

Also, also I replaced the diff covers with some SSD brass. These look a lot better than the stock red ones.

Finally, my plates showed up as well. Really impressed by the detail on these!

626db1adcd9b05eec02cd273eb2bbfcc.jpg

69c0c92e2de40d2313f71bce7e8d19e0.jpg

Next up is an interior and lights. I got some Wraith seats in that should work well.

Before all that happens, I get to put this truck in its first comp this weekend. Wish me luck!

I finished the course, but nothing to really right back on though. The Tekin RX4 has been in a few trucks, but still hasn’t found a true home yet. With that being said, the SCX10 got itself an AXE 1800kv. (Tekin is heading for a future trail truck build.)

I also couldn’t resist buying a hardbody version of the JP1. Amazon had the black version of the Injora JK truck body in stock at their warehouse. Should be here a week from Monday.

Also, a quick update on the Micro99 Winch. It got some use during the comp, and did a great job of pulling the truck around.

Got the AXE installed, wired up and running this weekend. Also finally got rid of the clicking noise!!

Here is a pic from the weekend. Was just about to do a controlled decent:
463a51164a9006616e12f2b06c077560.jpg

That's a sweet pic!"thumbsup" Glad to hear you figured out the clicker!:)

Also nice to hear the Micro99 winch did good! I thought about picking one up, but wasn't sure how it would hold up to a heavier rig!

Turns out it was the gears. Apparently I wasn’t understanding the difference between the two sides. Placing the chamfer away from the pin was what did it.

For some reason I thought the correct side was beveled in the inside where the pin went lol.

Turns out it was the gears. Apparently I wasn’t understanding the difference between the two sides. Placing the chamfer away from the pin was what did it.

For some reason I thought the correct side was beveled in the inside where the pin went lol.

Ok thanks, mine is right and not clicking just seeing if it was another issue.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

That's a sweet pic!"thumbsup" Glad to hear you figured out the clicker!:)

Also nice to hear the Micro99 winch did good! I thought about picking one up, but wasn't sure how it would hold up to a heavier rig!

I was questioning it as well at first. On Monday, I used it to go up a climb that was almost strait up 3ft without the winch backing off and pulling the truck up.

I got the truck out again today. I am playing the suspension a bit right now. Ended up swapping the Green springs to the rear and the Red springs to front. That seemed to help with steep climbs. I am missing some clearance now though, as it has a muscle car type stance. I’ll be buying some more spring rates soon.

Well now I have some uncontrolled bounce while on throttle on a steep climb. I am hoping some thicker oil will help there. Tomorrow is some testing on the local courses.

A change is coming on Monday though and I can’t wait for it to show up!

Well the surprise showed up today!!

I ended up getting the Half Cab Wrangler hard body from Amazon. The one I got is black base plastic with a nice matte finish applied to most of the body.

Outer Parts:
bd00209dce8202f58e634fbf76da7f9d.jpg

Accessories:
08a73837e620e82affbc927af7cc8ec2.jpg

Overall it seems pretty decent quality, but I really don’t have anything to compare it to though. Somethings of note is the painted dash, steering wheel, taillights, and window seals.

Though I will say it is interesting how they adapted the 4DR shell into this version.

Here’s a small preview of the body:
00679523d42737b952cfd9ef102436fc.jpg

9daae2f6412e30718b2224abc9371353.jpg

That case is actually sitting on the rear seat of the 4DR which is complete and hollow. The rest is done with some “utility” half doors for the rear and some rail extensions. Overall not too bad looking and some good potential. The nubs on the rails need to be removed though.

As for the JP1 body, that one is going to the comp body for the summer.

Well I got started mocking things up. Stripped the chassis of anything that was going to hit in stock form. Ended up with this to start with:
0b38f7c03c1c7166c7498b8160e80832.jpg

b2909df91781f256987d14be0e9086f9.jpg

The test fit showed some interesting things. The rear seat large enough to house both sizes of batteries that I use. The front seats also tall enough to house the AXE ESC and a RX box. I will need to modify the firewall to clear the transmission though.

Here is what the shell looks like on the bottom:
e29516312c405a4e4edf8fec7c16e69e.jpg

I’ll be cleaning up the electronic bays and making a clearance cut this week.

Back