• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Novak Rooster Crawler ESC Manual?

I got a used rig with the now discontinued esc, the "Craweler" (states this on heatsink) version that can use a 2S Lipo. Trying to find instructions. Found this but don't know if it's safe to download from this site:

Novak Rooster Crawler ESC (55-1841-1 Ver. 2) User Manual | 2 pages

Can someone help me out with a good pdf or paper copy?

Thanks.
I would say don't even waste your time on it. Do yourself a favor and chuck it in the round file and get one of these.

Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

Less than $50 and a great little esc for crawling. There is a whole thread in electronics about!"thumbsup"
Ernie

I would say don't even waste your time on it. Do yourself a favor and chuck it in the round file and get one of these.

Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC

Less than $50 and a great little esc for crawling. There is a whole thread in electronics about!"thumbsup"
Ernie

I checked the text file on the manual download page. This Rooster esc was rated for 400 amps F/200 R. Do I really need that, that seems a lot.
Can you tell me why I should throw it away- because it's no longer made, because it burns up, because it cogs or just not good in some way?

Edit: I just checked HK site, they have no model 1080, they have a couple of "quicrun" s tho...is this what you were thinking:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quicrun-wp-crawler-brushed-1.html?___store=en_us

Oh, this is a used SCX10 ver 1...... 35T rc4wd motor.

Last edited:
Can you tell me why I should throw it away- because it's no longer made, because it burns up, because it cogs or just not good in some way?

yeah, I got one in a used rig recently too..granted, it's not brand new or waterproof, but what's so bad about it?

yeah, I got one in a used rig recently too..granted, it's not brand new or waterproof, but what's so bad about it?
Novak was the best brushed ESC company in the RC industry. When brushless came around they lost their edge and they simply couldn't keep up which forced them to close their doors. People had issues with the Novak stuff, and like the internet tends to do, it blew it out of proportion and people thought all Novak brushless stuff was junk. That's simply not true. Try it. If it works for you, which it probably will, then great!

I am running a "Novak Mongoose Crawler Micro Brushless System" in my Losi MRC and I am very happy with it. The "Tree80" Motor is a 18,5t brushless, ESC setting is on "Expo Crawler" with exponential throttle curve, which gives as well a super smooth start up as a lot of wheelspeed on full throttle. I love it. "thumbsup"
I`ve got some manuals for the micro system as pdf, if someone needs them.

I wouldn't toss it away if it works.

There are some manuals here: Novak ESC Manuals

Tried that. They have pre-Crawler version, pre Lipo LVA.

I do seem to have an issue with the motor suddenly jumping forward when initially pressing trigger. This may be due to the cheap Tx with no exponential available for throttle. I ordered new pinion/spur 12/87, now is 14/87, but I don't think that will help much.

Any further thoughts?

Too confusing!!!

I'm sorry, but my esc doesn't appear to work anything like that. It's not brushless. Although the label on it shows the numbers 1-4 for mode, refer to this thread where it talks about only 2 modes:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/355695-rooster-crawler-esc-programming.html

And I can read enough from the one site I did find that I'm not confident of doing a download from, just from the text version, there are only 2 throttle modes-only diff is LVA on or off:
Figure 3 | Novak Rooster Crawler ESC (55-1841-1 Ver. 2) User Manual | Page 2 / 2

Can anyone get me a copy of the later Rooster Crawler instructions, the one that added being able to use a 2S Lipo? I know it was made, that one link above shows it in text form, I'm just not confident I can download it safely.

Is there any way to ease the throttle down so it starts without a sudden lurch? It may be just my Tx has no expo. I know the esc has no expo throttle mode.

Should I just ditch the esc? Can I correct the throttle response by getting a different esc?

I checked the text file on the manual download page. This Rooster esc was rated for 400 amps F/200 R. Do I really need that, that seems a lot.

Edit: I just checked HK site, they have no model 1080, they have a couple of "quicrun" s tho...is this what you were thinking:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quicrun-wp-crawler-brushed-1.html?___store=en_us

Oh, this is a used SCX10 ver 1...... 35T rc4wd motor.

Back when the LCC first came out I went through three of them, and Novak could never get them right, one even flamed on me. My bad experience, that is why I said trash it. If you just want to play a little with a truck keep it, otherwise it's just going to be a hassle. Did you check at RPP for a 1080, I just got one from them last week.

Tried that. They have pre-Crawler version, pre Lipo LVA.

I do seem to have an issue with the motor suddenly jumping forward when initially pressing trigger. This may be due to the cheap Tx with no exponential available for throttle. I ordered new pinion/spur 12/87, now is 14/87, but I don't think that will help much.

Any further thoughts?
:roll::roll:

Too confusing!!!

I'm sorry, but my esc doesn't appear to work anything like that. It's not brushless. Although the label on it shows the numbers 1-4 for mode, refer to this thread where it talks about only 2 modes:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/355695-rooster-crawler-esc-programming.html

And I can read enough from the one site I did find that I'm not confident of doing a download from, just from the text version, there are only 2 throttle modes-only diff is LVA on or off:
Figure 3 | Novak Rooster Crawler ESC (55-1841-1 Ver. 2) User Manual | Page 2 / 2

Can anyone get me a copy of the later Rooster Crawler instructions, the one that added being able to use a 2S Lipo? I know it was made, that one link above shows it in text form, I'm just not confident I can download it safely.

Is there any way to ease the throttle down so it starts without a sudden lurch? It may be just my Tx has no expo. I know the esc has no expo throttle mode.

Should I just ditch the esc? Can I correct the throttle response by getting a different esc?
Yes, something designed for crawling, maybe like a Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC. "thumbsup"
Ernie

Yes, something designed for crawling, maybe like a Hobbywing Quicrun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling ESC. "thumbsup"
Ernie

Personal vendetta against Novak is fine, but let the guy try the damn ESC already.

And if you want to buy a 1080 go to Hobbywing Direct and get it shipped free. I can only imagine what RPP charges for shipping. Their shipping prices are outrageous the past couple of years.

Personal vendetta against Novak is fine, but let the guy try the damn ESC already.

And if you want to buy a 1080 go to Hobbywing Direct and get it shipped free. I can only imagine what RPP charges for shipping. Their shipping prices are outrageous the past couple of years.

Pretty sure I told him to use it in my last post. No vendetta, Novak was my go to esc back in my dirt racing days. Just sharing my experience with their crawler esc. I met Bob Novak a couple times and he is a very nice guy. And it was a great company until they got left behind in the technology of their ESCs!
Just my 2 cents. "thumbsup"
Ernie

...And if you want to buy a 1080 go to Hobbywing Direct and get it shipped free. I can only imagine what RPP charges for shipping.

"thumbsup"

...Novak was my go to esc back in my dirt racing days. Just sharing my experience with their crawler esc. I met Bob Novak a couple times and he is a very nice guy. And it was a great company until they got left behind in the technology of their ESCs!

Me too, but for awhile Tekin was kicking their butt in buggy racing esc so I switched and ran Tekin. I had a Novak Rooster, burnt it up and tossed it in recycle after Novak offered me a discounted replacement for more than most places were selling them new for.

Yes, back when Novak was new, Bob Novak personally replied to my letter and tossed in several of the capacitors I needed and sent them to me in a foreign country, great guy! Novak company just didn't keep up with the times and now they are gone.

First thank you for the advice so far. I am really getting a lot of help on this :)

For example, I want to thank you for the Hobbywing 1080 tip. I had a duh! moment and thought it was a HobbyKing bargain special, which explains why I couldn't find it on their site.

So my problem with Novak is: a very small amount of throttle and it starts abruptly, hard to keep it moderately slow, just a barest tough of trigger. Manual hard to find, but I did manage to do some png screen capture of the text on the site that I didn't feel safe downloading pdf from.

Two options: buy the 1080, or... I have a Futaba 3PKS that is really beat, it has a Fasst module in it with tape around the antenna hinge (partly broken, but it runs speedboats without a glitch). I can rip an Rx out of one of my boats I don't use much. This would be a free solution, give me expo on throttle, and maybe a little more throw on steering thru EPA than the TX that the SCX10 came with (2 channel Tactic 2.4 Ghz radio). Also a third channel could work with the Novak to turn LEDs on/off, the Novak has a provision for it.

I'll look on that thread about the 1080, but I have questions for people that have used it. Here are some program values from 1080 manual that can be changed that may (?) help give me a "creep" with the minimum feature Tactic Tx and motor this mess came with:

Initial Start Force
Max. Forward Force
Start Mode / Punch (really didn't get this one)
PWM Drive Frequency (would I need a fan on the heat sink?)
Freewheeling

Thank you for any info you can give me. Maybe thing to do is buy 1080, <$50 wont break bank, try with existing Tactic, then go to the 3PKS if still having issues.

But I'd like some reassurance if possible that 1080 will be better than the Novak wrt starting up more gradually.

Last edited:
Yes - the HW 1080 will be better at startup control... and if ya want a sweet inexpensive radio later, get a FlySky GT3C for $45 - 3 channels outta the box, can be hacked to 8 channels, comes with receiver and built in USB-charging LiPo - We are living in a time when electronics are cheap and great quality:

Attachments

• IMG_20171217_182419resize.jpg
    IMG_20171217_182419resize.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,331
  • IMG_20171217_182509resize.jpg
    IMG_20171217_182509resize.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 2,117

Whats up with you and rrp shipping charges? I order from them all the time and pay the standard flat rate charge. 100% of my shipping is 6.96-7.15, and thing over that gets caught up in the free shipping. I order on Friday and receive the package Monday. Normally hit a code so its like $2.00 shipping after that.

Whats up with you and rrp shipping charges? I order from them all the time and pay the standard flat rate charge. 100% of my shipping is 6.96-7.15, and thing over that gets caught up in the free shipping. I order on Friday and receive the package Monday. Normally hit a code so its like $2.00 shipping after that.
I have no idea how you get such low priced shipping at RPP. I went to buy beadlock wheels from them this past weekend. The wheels were right at $100 for 4. 10% off discount took it down to $90. Shipping was over $13. Their shipping is more than their discount. And I'll shop at places that have much lower free shipping minimums.

When you can get things cheaper elsewhere, including shipping costs, why would I continue to shop at RPP? It wasn't always this way. Their shipping prices used to be competitive.

This is the shipping rate I paid.

Shipping Speed:
Free Standard Shipping On Order of $49.00 or more (US Lower 48 Only)
Items Ordered:
Price:
1 of : Gear Head RC 1/10 Scale Six Shooter 2" LED Light Bar - White
$35.19
Shipped
1 of : Gear Head RC 1/10 Scale Trek Torch 5" LED Light Bar - White
$44.79
Shipped
1 of : Gear Head RC 24" Tow Rope with Hooks, Olive Drab
$7.19
Shipped
2 of : Gear Head RC BEC RX Bypass Adapter
$9.58
Shipped
1 of : Gear Head RC LiPo Alarm 2S - 4S
$5.59
Shipped
1 of : Hobbywing QUICRUN WP1080 Waterproof Rock Crawler Brushed ESC, (2-3S)
$41.99
Shipped
Payment Information

You've paid $144.33 of $144.33.
Thank you.
Order Summary:

Product Subtotal:
$144.33
Tax:
$0.00
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00

Grand Total:
$144.33

This is what I paid for shipping when I bought my 1080. $0 Just saying, I plan my purchases most of the time free shipping. "thumbsup""thumbsup"
Ernie

Last edited:
I have no idea how you get such low priced shipping at RPP. I went to buy beadlock wheels from them this past weekend. The wheels were right at $100 for 4. 10% off discount took it down to $90. Shipping was over $13. Their shipping is more than their discount. And I'll shop at places that have much lower free shipping minimums.

When you can get things cheaper elsewhere, including shipping costs, why would I continue to shop at RPP? It wasn't always this way. Their shipping prices used to be competitive.

As far as I can tell they ship in flat rate boxes. What ever fits thats the cost.

And yes you should shop however works best for you.

Back