• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New idea thread?

Let's see a Rock Jock style housing with the diff cover tilted up 30-40 degrees. Scx and wraith widths, And maybe an XR-10 width too:ror:

0716272a.jpg

If you make a driver's side drop and a passenger side drop, you will be able to match any Wraith configuration there is.

The rims from moto metal the punisher wheel would be sweet in 2.2 and 1.9. :twisted:

Last edited:
New suggestion (that apply to all crawler part designers, not only VP):

Be international, go metric!

It's mostly the use of UNC instead of metric threads that prevents the hobby from spreading worldwide.
Just buying a set of hub screws (24 pieces 4-40 x 1/4") from a Swedish hardware store would first take me some time to find one within 400 miles that actually sell it. Once I do find such a store the screws cost about $2... each!
M3 threaded screws I can buy just about anywhere in town, spending $3 on a pack of 100.

UNC/UNF smaller than 4-40? Forget about it! Simply unavailable in Europe...

It's a real PITA having to order all spare parts from another continent.

Not trying to hijack VP's thread. But in one respect I agree.
I feel kinda like I am working in a Ford with a mix of Metric and Standard screws.

But, in this respect I do believe I know the reason the Standard screws are used in the hubs.
1. They have larger thread so there is more bite.
2. Because they have larger thread, they also make for faster removal/install.
3. And finally, makes for less stript out heads.

All in all a bit more secure as compared to the Metric screws.

New suggestion (that apply to all crawler part designers, not only VP):

Be international, go metric!

It's mostly the use of UNC instead of metric threads that prevents the hobby from spreading worldwide.
Just buying a set of hub screws (24 pieces 4-40 x 1/4") from a Swedish hardware store would first take me some time to find one within 400 miles that actually sell it. Once I do find such a store the screws cost about $2... each!
M3 threaded screws I can buy just about anywhere in town, spending $3 on a pack of 100.

UNC/UNF smaller than 4-40? Forget about it! Simply unavailable in Europe...

It's a real PITA having to order all spare parts from another continent.

Last edited:
Screws, some of which has already been stated.

The reason we use the screws we use is function.

1. Standard UNC spec screws specifically in the small sizes we use do have some advantages on certain sizes due to the pitch and diameter, we run into this problem often, small metric machine screws threads have a smaller pitch and are slightly more prone to strip.

6-32 has a pitch of .031 inches
4-40 has a pitch of .025 inches
m3 has .5 or .0196 inches

25 percent bigger pitch for a smaller diameter thread.

2-56 = .017
m2 x .4 = .0157

only 10 percent or so but still smaller diameter ...

1. Standard UNC spec screws specifically in the small sizes we use do have some advantages on certain sizes due to the pitch and diameter, ...
I understand what you state.
To me "function" is also a matter of availability. The main reason UNC threads hold much better here is that there are no screws present to strip them... ;-)

In a choice between
a) almost perfect thread (for the application) with screws (just about) unavailable, and
b) less perfect thread with screws readliy available,
I know what I'd pick...

Screws, some of which has already been stated.

1. Standard UNC spec screws specifically in the small sizes we use do have some advantages on certain sizes due to the pitch and diameter, we run into this problem often, small metric machine screws threads have a smaller pitch and are slightly more prone to strip.

6-32 has a pitch of .031 inches
4-40 has a pitch of .025 inches
m3 has .5 or .0196 inches

25 percent bigger pitch for a smaller diameter thread.

2-56 = .017
m2 x .4 = .0157

only 10 percent or so but still smaller diameter ...

the smaller the pitch the better the in/output force ratio and self locking

OK, Back to things to make.

Tom, I heard you guys were venturing into making shocks.
I have spoke to steve that making a great set of KING replica shocks would be fantastic.

But since KING is being made by someone else. Can I suggest Pro-Comp MX6 shocks.
Explorer-Pro-Comp-MX6R-Monotube-Adjustable-Reservoir-Front-Shock-Absorbers-1-large.jpg

Either way another great Idea would be the Shock braces to hold the Resivior.
ICON makes a great product I would love to have.
ICON_Shock_Clamp_Cut_Away_Web__39171_zoom.jpg

Coiled Bump stops that bolt on to your axles would be great too and offer many options besides shocks.
JKS makes a killer system that could easily be made.

Adjustable FM Heims
ENGF017.jpg

1.9 and 2.2 Walker Evans
129_0812_23_z+2008_best_4x4_parts+walker_evans_wheels.jpg

Billet Steering wheels
GRT-769.jpg

846.jpg

Fuel Safe
pro_cell-400.jpg

the smaller the pitch the better the in/output force ratio and self locking

yes sir but but take into the effect of small parts machining and tolerance, the physics of the "six mechanical powers" fail the smaller you get...

we are using the bottom end of the scale ...

the old english system has two basic pitches unc (course) and unf (fine) , unf is comparable to metric system as far at pitch goes on smaller threads

unc 4-40 is better a screw than the m2 in my personal opinion..

metric system needs a more course pitch thread for small hardware in soft materials like aluminum and plastic...

Last edited:
Mr Norm, some of your requests will likley see the light of day sooner rather than later.

we have some suprisingly promising licencing deals working out for some real cool 1:1 stuff ...

it is great being an american manufacturer approaching american manufacturters they do prefer us as they are all sick of being burned ... kick ass ...!

OK, Back to things to make.

Tom, I heard you guys were venturing into making shocks.
I have spoke to steve that making a great set of KING replica shocks would be fantastic.

But since KING is being made by someone else. Can I suggest Pro-Comp MX6 shocks.
Explorer-Pro-Comp-MX6R-Monotube-Adjustable-Reservoir-Front-Shock-Absorbers-1-large.jpg

Either way another great Idea would be the Shock braces to hold the Resivior.
ICON makes a great product I would love to have.
ICON_Shock_Clamp_Cut_Away_Web__39171_zoom.jpg

Coiled Bump stops that bolt on to your axles would be great too and offer many options besides shocks.
JKS makes a killer system that could easily be made.

Adjustable FM Heims
ENGF017.jpg

1.9 and 2.2 Walker Evans
129_0812_23_z+2008_best_4x4_parts+walker_evans_wheels.jpg

Billet Steering wheels
GRT-769.jpg

846.jpg

Fuel Safe
pro_cell-400.jpg

Last edited:
Back