• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

That GMC looks killer in all black... that would make a great scale body.

Yes, it does...love it! I give them my input, but if you like it please call or email Horizon Hobby and hopefully they will produce a body like this for us. "thumbsup"

Sweet build. Really like the calipers. Adds a nice touch.

Thanks, I liked them after I painted them, but once they are installed....wow I really am glad I bought them! "thumbsup"

Who's used the STRC aluminum rear axle lockouts, how did they fit, did the axle shafts get more end-play or nice fit like stock?
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/sptstv334020gm.htm

Nate, don't you already have the vaterra ones? How did you make your brake rotor/caliper weights work on the back?

Yes, but I'm working on another build too, just curious how they fit. Brake calipers attached with Vaterra aluminum lockouts. "thumbsup"

Well i have the strc metal link holders on axle the front fit perfect the rear was a touch wide and broke the nipple off the houseing

LIFE IS GOOD

Ahh yes... The wrascenderaith!

Yes, I was really asking for that build and should have put it there, but interesting in general since the bearings are 1mm larger diameter (5x10mm vs 5x11mm), however my stock 5x10mm have lasted many dusty, sandy and water crossings during crawling. Bearings are only $1 each, so cheap insurance to replace as needed if they feel gritty. Sometimes I carefully open up the new bearings, put a little good grease and one drop of Phil's Tenacious Oil in, put the seal back on, spin it back and forth to work the oil and grease in together. This works very well, for diffs and transmissions etc, as I've found straight grease of any type in these bearings tends to get pushed out of the ball race area. The one drop of Tenacious Oil (very thick and tacky) helps keep it all around and made bearings in my Mamba Monster powered go-fast SCT 4x4 last longer than just good grease.

https://www.philwood.com/products/gohc/oilngrease.php

Well i have the strc metal link holders on axle the front fit perfect the rear was a touch wide and broke the nipple off the houseing

LIFE IS GOOD

Thanks for the good info, my experience with STRC has been hit and miss too. What did STRC say about this?

Last edited:
Hey Nate, did you happen to get weights of the C hubs, knuckles, and rotors before you put them all on? The reason I'm asking is because after thinking about it, I was going to get the vaterra knuckles and c hubs and make my own rotors for weight. But after looking at the ssd knuckles, they look much beefier than the vaterra ones. I'm wondering what the weight difference is between them and it may be very close and much cheaper/quicker to just get the ssd pieces. My GCM slot wheels already have brake rotors on the hub, not as detailed as the vaterra ones but will also completely cover up the vaterra ones so you won't be able to see them. Just thinking before I buy. Thanks man!
Ben

Do you think it's be worth making them out of lead for even more weight? Think that'd be too much? I know my father in law has a ton of lead stock kicking around for some reason. Go big or go home right? Be harder on the knuckles and servo probably huh?
Ben

Lead is too much weight and unless the alloy is hard, like maybe linotype, it will end up all bent up and the 2mm screw will probably pull through. Just go with brass. :)

One more question, did the new vaterra aluminum spindles and c hubs come with new ball joints/bushings? I read you put new ones in just because but not sure if you had to buy them separately or not. I went on vaterrarc.com and only see them as part of the stock plastic spindle/c hub kit. I just want new bushings not another set of plastic c hubs and spindles. Is there a part number for just the 4 bushings by themselves?

Also, what is the pin mod you did to the front axle cv joints? If I do get th spindles and c hubs, I'm getting new axles too so I can have my old ones complete for emergency trail spares and only have to pull the two screws that home the c hub on and the whole axle and knuckle will come out at once. I haven't broken one yet and don't plan on it but they are getting some slop in them and figure if I've got to out new cv joints together I might as well put a stronger pin in there. Thanks again!
Ben

Oh, and what size bearings are the ones at the c hub and spindle. Want to make sure I have the right size left over from my fast eddy kit still.
Ben

Aluminum chubs and knuckles don't come with new pivot (hat) bushings. Mine were showing minimal wear, but I replaced them with new from Ascender kit. I don't know if the bushings are available separately, have to look online or in kit manual.

Bearing are all 5x10mm. 6 bearings for front and 2 for the rear. Total 8 bearings, I bought from AvidRC bearings direct.

The only CVD and driveshaft mods I've done are Gunnar Pins, pm him here on RCC. Great quality, fit and fast shipping. I bought enough for all my Ascenders and my spare CVDs.

Last edited:
Thanks Nate! What's the guys screen name? Gunnar? I looked on vaterrarc.com and the hat bushings show as part of the kit of knuckles and c hubs. Maybe you know another place to look or have some pull to buy just th bushings. I really want to have a complete set so I don't have to swap things over. I want everything completely new and have my old ready for an emergency spare if needed on the trail. Thanks again, you da man!"thumbsup"
Ben

Screen name is Gunnar. I bought an Ascender kit for my spares. "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Back