• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
Hey John, the standard Hand Bros kit works fine but you need to fab or lose the cross member behind the bumper, the front battery X-member.

What parts are you strapping on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey John, the standard Hand Bros kit works fine but you need to fab or lose the cross member behind the bumper, the front battery X-member.

What parts are you strapping on it?
I'm not sure if I want to install the Hand Bros kit yet, I just haven't researched a good battery that would fit next to the steering servo.

I think just drive lines, rod ends, maybe axles and stub shafts. How about you?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I want to install the Hand Bros kit yet, I just haven't researched a good battery that would fit next to the steering servo.

I think just drive lines, rod ends, maybe axles and stub shafts. How about you?

I'm also undecided about a battery.
I'll be bringing complete driveshafts with u-joints for easier swaps.
Lower rod ends will be a good idea.
I won't be running CVDs and I've never broken a dogbone so I will probably not bring those.
Maybe an extra spur and pinion, I tend to strip spurs and lose pinions in the sand, :p.
Definitely gotta make up a tug strap.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I started on the mods by installing the Axial NVS Night Visions System. I bought an additional 4 single LED light strings to for the rock lights and a double LED light string for the front bumper lights.

I have to say, this is my first crawler with a fully decked out lighting system and that is because I suck at wiring up LED's. I was dreading either the cost of a comparable "rc-lights" system or building my own light setup until I found out Axial came out with a light system that has everything I wanted at a reasonable price IMO.

My initial thoughts on the NVS is Axial damn near hit a home run with it. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the blinker lights / functions. We all know when your crawling your never going to use your blinkers unless your accidentally hit the turn signal lever when turning left or right. If they could make a crawler version of this NVS system that removed the blinkers LED's and blinking function from the control box it might bring the cost down even more and also free up another port for additional rock or off road lights.

I mounted the rock lights using some Dubro steel landing gear straps, they were the perfect size. All I had to do to the straps were drill out the holes to fit the 3mm screws and add a slight bend to one end to give the right angle I wanted on the lights.

Here are some shots of all the chassis lights installed.

Axial NVS Night Vision System
picture.php

Single LED light strings for the rock lights
picture.php

Dubro straps
picture.php

Each of the light buckets that come with the Trail Honcho comes with LED retainers
picture.php

Rear rock lights
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Front rock lights
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Front bumper lights and rock lights
picture.php

Rear tail/stop lights
picture.php

Chassis lights wiring, I'm going to make a mount for the transmission to mount the control box on.
picture.php

The light set-up is sweet!
Could I get the kit with the left blinker on all the time?

Some of the video turned out good, I actually laughed out loud when I saw the part where my rig rolled over on it's side and your rig was right next to mine just sitting there until James son walked all the way down the rock to flip my rig back over. It looked like you tried to bump by rig over at the last second just as he was reaching for my truck but he ended up putting my rig back on it's tires. He is one of the nicest kids I know, you on the other hand are not one of the nicest kids I know.

I can't work on any of the video I've taken until after the new year when I get these damn taxes done. :-(

Yes we had a great day on the rocks and I remember laughing at the same thing! Any chance for the video to appear or were you talking about next years taxes:mrgreen: Hey Joel and I want to thank you again for the winch, got it installed on his rig.

Yes we had a great day on the rocks and I remember laughing at the same thing! Any chance for the video to appear or were you talking about next years taxes:mrgreen: Hey Joel and I want to thank you again for the winch, got it installed on his rig.

Haha no I just finished the taxes today so now I can start working on some of the videos I have. My pleasure, he's a cool kid and a damn good crawler. 8)

Looking forward to heading out there with you guys again.

If you are looking for a good battery for the handbros kit for next to the servo, go no further than cheapbatterypacks.com, get the 2200 elite 3s, I am pretty sure Hand Bros designed it with this pack in mind. I own 5 of these batteries they have tons of power and are a great price! Tons of punch! Tell Chris I sent ya!

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?menu=83F78CFEB3&sid=101271

3rd row down, first one...

If you are looking for a good battery for the handbros kit for next to the servo, go no further than cheapbatterypacks.com, get the 2200 elite 3s, I am pretty sure Hand Bros designed it with this pack in mind. I own 5 of these batteries they have tons of power and are a great price! Tons of punch! Tell Chris I sent ya!

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?menu=83F78CFEB3&sid=101271

3rd row down, first one...
Thanks for the battery tip, I'll be placing an order today for them.

NICE, what camera are you shooting with now? "thumbsup"
Thanks, I have a Canon Rebel T1i now.

wow u plan on going midnight crawling or sumthing? ull be able to light up like 10ft in front of u lol... nice work!
Crawling at night with no other lights around while camping is a blast.

Great build can't wait to see the final product.
No motor or ESC yet?
I've mentioned 2 different ESC/motor combos in this build thread. ;-)

I got all the lights installed (for now, got a surprise from Brandon coming soon). Since I'm not using the blinker LED's I took the 5 LED light string and removed one of the LED's then extended the center of the wire to make it wide enough reach both headlight buckets.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I mounted my Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL ESC in the stock receiver box and installed a Holmes 7t Cobalt Puller motor with a 19t pinion. I put the receiver and Axial NVS control box in balloons to get all the electronics water resistant.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Installed the Axial 4 link truss in the rear

picture.php

picture.php

I didn't like the look of these RC4WD 1.9 Roc lox at first but now that they've been on my rig for a week now while modifying it I'm starting to really like the look of them.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Let there be LIGHT!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: