• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Jimmy's build along buggy thread

bgredjeep

Rock Crawler
Subscribed Member
I figured I would start a thread since I officially started my build along Jimmy's buggy today. I bought the files from Josh (Harley Designs for anyone unfamiliar) so it's basically a paint by numbers equivalent of a fabrication project.

I presume some other members are also planning on building one so this thread is open to any others who would like to share as they step through the process.

The bulk of my start today was that I finally was able to set up the new printer. My first print ever on the x1 was the bend templates for the first section. So far the bambu is everything i hoped. No messing around, leveling, playing with temps, test prints. I dropped the 3 templates in the bambu slicer, slice, send, and 30 mins later (while eating some tacos at Mexican) I get notified that it's done.

Anyhow, I'll update as I make actual progress, and anyone else building please feel free to share as well.

mawfnVn.jpeg

Screen shot from the printer in process
WyQCOni.jpeg

vpaD0lQ.jpeg

Following along to see this build come together. These moonbuggy builds look pretty sweet.

Nice printer. The Bambu is on my short list for my next printer. My Ender 3 Pro has been great, but the slow speeds are killing me!!

I did just pick up the YesWelder TIG that Josh just posted up on the Tube. My plan is to purchase his files and build mine sometime later this year.

In the meantime I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

I talked to a local rc friend of mine who's also thinking about that welder. I know another guy that's reviewed several of their mig machines and had good results. I currently have no room left in my garage to store another welder and gas bottle. Lol

I'm planning to do 2 chassis. The second one is for my buddy that built my 1:1 crawler to its current state. He's going to use his old wraith parts (not big into rc so looking to use what he has) so I'll end up making a custom skid for his. He's also got a nice tig machine we can use to weld them both up.

I haven't seen any of these other than the two Harley built - one for himself and one for that scale "builder" guy. So I'm interested to see yours!

I haven't seen any of these other than the two Harley built - one for himself and one for that scale "builder" guy. So I'm interested to see yours!
There's a fb group now that Josh released the files outside of the initial group. I saw fricker post some of his jig prints in the group so maybe he'll join or start his own thread.

I printed the first jig yesterday. This bambu has me very impressed. Printed in 2hrs and it looks so nice compared to what my old printer produced. For kicks, I sliced the same file in the prusa slicer for my old printer for comparison. Similar supports and infill and it said it would be 9:45 for the same part.

SlXGNmk.jpeg

The only thing I would like to have that Josh didn't include is the actual bend angles. The templates are nice, but if I had the actual number I can bend using the angle finder and then just use the template as confirmation. For now I'm just measuring the template to get the approximate number myself.

This afternoon I printed this notcher for the dremel. I ordered a 3/16" carbide burr for it as well so I should be able to make some clean tube joints. Hopefully this weekend I can do a little bending

ETB6vdh.jpeg

Hmm, looks great, and I never thought of making a tuber like that. F-toy, here I come!

Hmm, looks great, and I never thought of making a tuber like that. F-toy, here I come!
I've wanted to for a while. I've had the tube in my toolbox for at least 6 months just waiting to start. I had hoped my first one would be a replica of my own new 1:1 chassis but my buddy who's going to build that is backed up so we haven't been able to start that project yet. I figured this is a great test run for the next one.

It's outside of my comfort zone for sure, but Josh has really made it about as easy as a complicated fab project could be.

I've wanted to for a while. I've had the tube in my toolbox for at least 6 months just waiting to start. I had hoped my first one would be a replica of my own new 1:1 chassis but my buddy who's going to build that is backed up so we haven't been able to start that project yet. I figured this is a great test run for the next one.

It's outside of my comfort zone for sure, but Josh has really made it about as easy as a complicated fab project could be.
Great to see more of these being built! It's a fun way to get into it via the templates and instruction Josh provided. Like the look of that Notcher as well! Feel free to ask questions if they arise.
I'm that "Builder" guy.

I'm that "Builder" guy.
I know. I just think it's kinda funny that you are a styrene master, but not a fabricator. I would bet you could fabricate if you tried. I only dream of having that much patience to do either!

I know. I just think it's kinda funny that you are a styrene master, but not a fabricator. I would bet you could fabricate if you tried. I only dream of having that much patience to do either!
Oh I fabricate! I was already brazing up an F-Toy for the same comp we used this buggy for, so Josh offered to Tig my Jimmy cage for me. I haven't gone off the deep end and bought a Tig yet, but it's inevitable at this point.

Feeling a bit famous over here with Matt commenting. Lol

So updates. The notcher works pretty well, but its a bit chattery when you get all the way into it. I might look designing something like this for my Milwaukee die grinder, but attaching it will take some figuring.

Anyway, I got the stage 1 tubes notched (x2) and got 1 set into the fixture ready to weld. I also printed templates for stage 2

NFyATuK.jpeg

1D4W0g1.jpeg

Any updates? I just completed all three (3 complete phase #1 chassis setups) of my phase #1 pieces into the jig over the weekend. I found that coping the tubing was the hardest part of all of this process so far. I'm waiting on my buddy to finish printing all of the phase #2 stuff to start the tops hopefully next weekend.

Any updates? I just completed all three (3 complete phase #1 chassis setups) of my phase #1 pieces into the jig over the weekend. I found that coping the tubing was the hardest part of all of this process so far. I'm waiting on my buddy to finish printing all of the phase #2 stuff to start the tops hopefully next weekend.
No significant progress on mine. I've got the stage 2 jigs printed, and bent the a to c tubes for 1 chassis. I also shortened the dremel notcher a bit to try and make it less chattery, but haven't had time to test it yet.

I've been using all my free time studying for a cert exam that's coming up. I'll get back to it next month

No significant progress on mine. I've got the stage 2 jigs printed, and bent the a to c tubes for 1 chassis. I also shortened the dremel notcher a bit to try and make it less chattery, but haven't had time to test it yet.

I've been using all my free time studying for a cert exam that's coming up. I'll get back to it next month
I think we're roughly in the same spot. I also just got a buddy to shorten the notcher file for me in hopes I can use it instead of free handing a carbide bit on a dremel. I have most of the phase 2 stuff printed, so I feel like Saturday morning I will be back in the garage cutting, bending, and notching tubes again.

How cool is this???? 3/16” tube at what wall thickness? I find this to be exciting, because sounds like it has a few of you dabbing tube for the first time. Let it known that you just opened Pandora’s box, Josh has school in session. It will be great to see these rigs completed, but I look forward for custom builds to come from what you all glean. As for those welders, I have used a few different models, no complaints with their performance, good bang for the buck. Pics of progress por favor. (y)

Back