• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
Looks great Chris...love the dual shocks. I really like how you cleaned up the welds too :). I just reworked my steering as well, and now have the zero ackerman Vanquish knuckles on the EB along with Super 300 CVD's. I think I'm ready for a special motor from Mr. Holmes too :mrgreen:. Can't wait to see your progress on this, Montana is going to be an epic battle this year......

Looks great Chris...love the dual shocks. I really like how you cleaned up the welds too :). I just reworked my steering as well, and now have the zero ackerman Vanquish knuckles on the EB along with Super 300 CVD's. I think I'm ready for a special motor from Mr. Holmes too :mrgreen:. Can't wait to see your progress on this, Montana is going to be an epic battle this year......
Epic battle for sure Tim!!!! "thumbsup"

I wish I had thought of the zero ackerman knuckles when I ordered mine. :-( I may mod mine like Jim did to his CC01.

Come on with your updates, I want to see what you got in your new parts bin. "thumbsup"

I thought Guido was off the hook two years ago :shock: This is just fawking killer stuff.
:ror: Thanks Stu. Gotta evolve or get left behind. 8)
Looks great Chris. I can't wait to see it in person"thumbsup"
Thanks Rodney. 8)
Chris how much Jack Daniels did it take for you to develope the Guido upgrade plan? Nice stuff going on here. "thumbsup"
The Jack is still flowing Norm. It took quite a bit to come up with a plan, it takes a bit to get the nerve to cut my baby apart, and it takes more to figure out how to fix what got screwed up by my changes. :ror:

Now kids, I don't really drink before I work in the shop....but the steering is going to take a fifth to figure out I think.

:ror: Thanks Stu. Gotta evolve or get left behind. 8)

Thanks Rodney. 8)

The Jack is still flowing Norm. It took quite a bit to come up with a plan, it takes a bit to get the nerve to cut my baby apart, and it takes more to figure out how to fix what got screwed up by my changes. :ror:

Now kids, I don't really drink before I work in the shop....but the steering is going to take a fifth to figure out I think.

steering is one of my least favorite things to battle.. right next to gear ratios.

Can you lay the servo down facing forward with the splines on the drivers side? Or are you going for a really scale steering box again?
Still going for the really scale steering box Casey. I can't even put the servo where it used to be (standing up right behind the winch) because I am moving the winch back to get a greater than 90 degree approach angle. With the front axle pushed forward there is nowhere to put the servo behind the grill.
Plus with the new lower ride height and high steer knuckles the tie rod hits the pitman arm before the suspension bottoms out.

It's quite a corner I've painted myself into. :ror:
Are those tanks going on Guido? I just sent them out to ya today.
Thanks Norm. :) Yup, those tanks are for Guido. "thumbsup" They are going to look awesome.

Last edited:
Looks like its time to start designing a full hydro system:mrgreen:

What about a bellcrank system like the stock highlifts? I bet you have some room above and behind the front axle now...

Oh ya, :flipoff: I thought I was done with scalers and then you and the Utards break out all the cool builds. Sigh, guess I'll put the berg up on the shelf for a while and play with the torch:mrgreen:

Looks like its time to start designing a full hydro system:mrgreen:

What about a bellcrank system like the stock highlifts? I bet you have some room above and behind the front axle now...

Oh ya, :flipoff: I thought I was done with scalers and then you and the Utards break out all the cool builds. Sigh, guess I'll put the berg up on the shelf for a while and play with the torch:mrgreen:
I thought about full hydro but couldn't figure out where to hide the equipment.

My plan is to put the steering servo standing up inside the Parma engine with the splined shaft coming out the bottom. Then have a rod got to the steering box/bellcrank. Only problem is getting it past the panhard bar and the front crossmember.
Then there is still the tie rod......

Never give up on scalers, they will get under your skin. Break out that torch man. "thumbsup" :ror:

I thought about full hydro but couldn't figure out where to hide the equipment.

My plan is to put the steering servo standing up inside the Parma engine with the splined shaft coming out the bottom. Then have a rod got to the steering box/bellcrank. Only problem is getting it past the panhard bar and the front crossmember.
Then there is still the tie rod......

Never give up on scalers, they will get under your skin. Break out that torch man. "thumbsup" :ror:

Let me know if you need that Parma engine. I know Mark at parma pretty well and we talk all the time. maybe he'll do me a solid.

Upgrades are looking great Chris! New stance, dual shocks, everything else look great. I can't wait until your finished and we're able to see what it'll do out on the rocks!

Let me know if you need that Parma engine. I know Mark at parma pretty well and we talk all the time. maybe he'll do me a solid.
Thanks Norm. 8)
Upgrades are looking great Chris! New stance, dual shocks, everything else look great. I can't wait until your finished and we're able to see what it'll do out on the rocks!
Thanks Todd. I'm going to try my best to have him functional by the 28th. Detail work certainly won't be complete but I'd like to drive him at the next comp. We will see how things go in the next couple weeks though.

Thanks Todd. I'm going to try my best to have him functional by the 28th. Detail work certainly won't be complete but I'd like to drive him at the next comp. We will see how things go in the next couple weeks though.

You know that I'm close, you have my number.... If you need anything to help make it possible for you to make it on the 28th let me know!

Hey Grizz glad to see the new and improved Guido coming along!!! I have a question about steering and four links though? If I wanted to put my servo up on the frame with double triangulated 4 links do I still need a panhard or are you guys using them more for scale looks? Would my steering perform just as well as it does now?

Thanks Redwood. "thumbsup"
You know that I'm close, you have my number.... If you need anything to help make it possible for you to make it on the 28th let me know!
Thanks Todd, I'll let you know but I work odd hours. :ror:
Man, Guido just keeps getting better & better."thumbsup" I have not even started, how am I going to catch up?:?
You can do it DTP! Your's will be bad ass. "thumbsup" Thanks bud.
Hey Grizz glad to see the new and improved Guido coming along!!! I have a question about steering and four links though? If I wanted to put my servo up on the frame with double triangulated 4 links do I still need a panhard or are you guys using them more for scale looks? Would my steering perform just as well as it does now?
Hey Mikey, if your drag link (steering servo to knuckle) is pretty flat or you don't have a lot of travel in the front end then you can get away with a triangulated (single or double) 4-link. Since I am going to run the limiting strap the front axle will not drop out and I most likely could have gotten away with a triangulated 4-link and no panhard bar.

While my front upper links have some triangulation it is not enough to fully locate the axle. There is still some side to side movement of the axle with the panhard bar disconnected. Not much but just enough. The main reason I did this setup is because it is "technically" correct to run a panhard on a 1:1 with frame mounted steering and I wanted to keep the scale aspect of that. But, I also want to make sure my steering works as good as it possibly can and the panhard is the way to do that.

Look at the first two pictures below of Guido. With a drag link angle like that you could get away with a triangulated 4-link and no panhard. You might have some bump steer but it would be minimal. Especially in the first pic where Guido was running 3.5" shocks.
Now look at the third picture and notice how much angle is on the drag link and how much travel the front suspension has. If I were to try and run a chassis mounted steering servo and a triangulated 4-link on that setup the bump steer would have been horrible.

As far as steering performance goes it's hard to beat an axle mounted servo. The main reason is that the drag link always pushes on the knuckle at the same angle no matter how the axle is articulated. If your servo is set right, the drag link may be almost parallel to the ground (vehicle sitting flat) and this is the optimal setup. The reason is that as the servo end of the drag link gets farther from the tie rod (more drag link angle) some servo power is lost trying to push the steering arm into the ground and what is left is used to turn the tires. So under articulation a chassis mounted servo will lose some steering strength as the knuckle drops away from the frame. The axle mounted servo will always push with the same force no matter how the axle is articulated.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 261_6135 (Medium).JPG
    261_6135 (Medium).JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,250
  • IMG_9536 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9536 (Medium).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMG_9583 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9583 (Medium).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,223
Last edited:
Back