• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
That looks way better already Chris, my Bronco is 13 1/4" wheelbase too "thumbsup". Way to copy me....oh wait, I guess I copied you to begin with, so never mind.

BTW, you need to learn to silver solder. Do you have alot of birds in your neighborhood :mrgreen:?
The funny thing is that I searched your thread trying to find the wheelbase but I missed it. So I tried to copy but couldn't. :ror: I knew I wanted between 13 and 13.5" and estimated that's where yours is.
I pushed the axle as far forward as I could given the location of the steering box, checked to see if I could move the winch back far enough to get 90 degrees of approach angle, and called that good.

Yes I do have lots of birds around my house, I've got 9 trees on my property, but no they don't get in the garage. :ror: Just wait till it's all welded up and you see how much weight it adds to the front axle.... Legal weight. :mrgreen: Them welds add up.
Oh snap...

Love the new stance, that looks spot on, Guido always looked like it needed to stretch "thumbsup"
I agree totally, but I always knew it was going to be alot of work to stretch the front end. I was right. :ror:

Thanks guys. 8)

Love the stance, Chris! Now you're copying me, too. I mean, sure, my rig isn't built yet and yours has been around for years, but whateva!! Somehow you got into my head and took the vision I had for my truck. Anyway, next time you're in there if you find my sanity tell it to come back, k? :mrgreen:

i love it. thanks Griz for showing pics! very inspiring. "thumbsup"
Thanks 5105, the steel I use is .060" thick sheet from the hardware store (Ace, Murdochs, etc).
Love the stance, Chris! Now you're copying me, too. I mean, sure, my rig isn't built yet and yours has been around for years, but whateva!! Somehow you got into my head and took the vision I had for my truck. Anyway, next time you're in there if you find my sanity tell it to come back, k? :mrgreen:
I have a way of getting into peoples heads and reading their thoughts, thats just how I roll. Yours was scary, I don't know if there is any hope. :ror:

Finally some good progress this weekend. My goal was to finish the front suspension. I built cut new frame rails that lower the coil spring buckets and the rear has a new shape inspired by JR's new Bronco. I like the flow of the rear end and the front looks less choppy. The buckets were lowered so I could use shorter springs for a bit more realistic look and so I can preload the front end. I got some parts from TCS Crawlers this week which include the Vanquish hi-steer knuckles and the Axial aluminum C's. They fit absolutely flawlessly. "thumbsup"

I built new shock hoops for the dual shock setup. What a pain trying to get both shocks to bottom out at the same time....But I got it really, really dang close.

The front truss is finished with the 4-link mounts, panhard mount, and the welds are ground down nice. Just for you Tim. :mrgreen: That panhard bar was a pain with it's multiple bends. :ror:

I built a crossmember in the frame that will allow me to put a limiting strap to the front axle. This will allow me to set the ride height and at the same time preload the coil springs. I hope that preloading the springs will help with torque roll of the body. Along with changing the rear suspension.

Thanks for looking :afro: Next up is rear suspension and then steering. I don't know what I'm going to do for steering right now. :|

Attachments

• 328_2872 (Medium).JPG
    328_2872 (Medium).JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,303
  • 328_2873 (Medium).JPG
    328_2873 (Medium).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 328_2874 (Medium).JPG
    328_2874 (Medium).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 328_2877 (Medium).JPG
    328_2877 (Medium).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,306
  • 328_2875 (Medium).JPG
    328_2875 (Medium).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,321
  • 328_2876 (Medium).JPG
    328_2876 (Medium).JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,293
Last edited:
Man every time you cut this up I :shock:

and each time it gets better and better.

Can't wait to see what's next

Man every time you cut this up I :shock:

and each time it gets better and better.

Can't wait to see what's next
Thanks Andy. It scares me every time I cut something up too. :ror: I guess that's why it is taking so long to do everything. I'm trying to get the right look, make things better, and not screw anything up. :ror:

Looking awesome Chris... but why the 4-link with a panhard? The dual shock mounts are sick!

Looking awesome Chris... but why the 4-link with a panhard? The dual shock mounts are sick!
I want to keep the panhard because of the chassis mounted steering. I chose a 4-link over a 3-link for a couple reasons. One, I just like having 4 links on the axle to even out the forces when the front end bounces off the rocks and logs that it will see in Top Truck competitions. I want to be able to hit things hard when I need to. :ror: My friend Rod Pepper has been running a parallel 4-link with a pan hard bar in his Jeep for years and it works great.

Also, I can't do a 3-link like War Pig has on his Bronc (third link going to the top of the diff) because it will be in the way of the engine oil pan. Strength wise I don't like the idea of doing two links on one side of the axle and one link on the other.

This setup has just enough side to side movement to not bind with the track bar. Plus it's just a bit different from what most people would do. :)

Thanks, I like the competition look the dual shocks give also. Hopefully they will be a performance benefit but if not they have a nice look at least. 8)

Last edited:
Can't wait to see how Guido comes together again! I may have a nice little motor for you to try out as well. Which would you want- big and powerful or small, light, and powerful enough?

Can't wait to see how Guido comes together again! I may have a nice little motor for you to try out as well. Which would you want- big and powerful or small, light, and powerful enough?
Thanks John. 8) A new motor to try would be great. Let me check tonight and see what will fit.
I'm not positive I can fit a 540 can between the framerails since I had to shave down the Axial motor mount plate to fit. Length is good, it's diameter that is questionable. I'll let you know tonight. Modification is always a possibility though. "thumbsup"

Otherwise big an powerful is always lots of fun. :ror:

Back