• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
Thanks Griz for posting up pics of the coil buckets and what material you used to make em!

That is what I am trying to build now for my bronco scaler. Now I just got to figure how to mount on T-rex axles."thumbsup"

Man this thing looks great, just read the article in rc crawler mag. great job made the front cover. i hope to have the time one day to custom build my jeep frame and roll cage.

Thanks Griz for posting up pics of the coil buckets and what material you used to make em!

That is what I am trying to build now for my bronco scaler. Now I just got to figure how to mount on T-rex axles."thumbsup"
No problem. That will present a challenge but I'm sure you can figure it out. "thumbsup"
Man this thing looks great, just read the article in rc crawler mag. great job made the front cover. i hope to have the time one day to custom build my jeep frame and roll cage.
Thanks Waldo, I'm really proud of the article. I owe thanks to the guys who helped me out for sure as well. Time is certainly the most difficult part of a good scale build, just keep at it a little at a time. 8)
This is one of my favorite scale threads I get mesmerized by it every time and there ain't to many 19 page threads that do that to me. "Guido" is a awesome rig the imagination and skills of the builder ain't to bad either. :lol:"thumbsup"
Thanks Norm. How many times have you looked through it? :ror: I appreciate the comments. "thumbsup"
im speachless its beutiful
Thanks cooter, I appreciate it.

I've made a few changes for a bit better performance out of Guido, they seem to have worked since he worked even better at the CO Scale comp the other weekend. I think I got second place.
I'll try to post up the updates since I have been neglecting.
Thanks again guys. 8) Thanks to Rogue for the great pics from the last CO scale comp.

Attachments

• DSC_5148 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_5148 (Custom).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,286
  • DSC_5157 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_5157 (Custom).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,303
  • DSC_5165 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_5165 (Custom).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,282
  • DSC_5640 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_5640 (Custom).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,296
  • DSC_5646 (Custom).jpg
    DSC_5646 (Custom).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,276
Last edited:
I've made a few changes for a bit better performance out of Guido, they seem to have worked since he worked even better at the CO Scale comp the other weekend. I think I got second place.
I'll try to post up the updates since I have been neglecting.

So what did you change? Must have been suspension and stuff?

Reading this thread and the article in the RC Driver crawler edition is what made me decide to start my own build. Of course it will be no where near the level of Guido. Guido is just awe inspiring, great work, purely amazing... I was going to go with a coilover shock, but after reading the last few pages I think I will try a coil spring setup and use losi crawlers for dampening. Mine will sit higher off the ground than Guido so I know that will effect it's performance some. I would love to get any tips you may have for me after looking over my build.

And I have one question.... How did you shave the rock stompers down?

I have a trip planned to Bozeman MT the middle of June and will be bringing my truck with me to run out there.

Here's a link to my thread on RCC. A more detailed thread is on scale4x4rc.org

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1581201#post1581201

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22924

Last edited:
So what did you change? Must have been suspension and stuff?
You are correct Jim, everything is in the suspension and drivetrain. I am working on parts for the stereo though. ;-):ror: Already got an iPod shuffle in RCC green.
Reading this thread and the article in the RC Driver crawler edition is what made me decide to start my own build. Of course it will be no where near the level of Guido. Guido is just awe inspiring, great work, purely amazing... I was going to go with a coilover shock, but after reading the last few pages I think I will try a coil spring setup and use losi crawlers for dampening. Mine will sit higher off the ground than Guido so I know that will effect it's performance some. I would love to get any tips you may have for me after looking over my build.

And I have one question.... How did you shave the rock stompers down?

I have a trip planned to Bozeman MT the middle of June and will be bringing my truck with me to run out there.

Here's a link to my thread on RCC. A more detailed thread is on scale4x4rc.org

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1581201#post1581201

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22924
Thanks for the kind words. 8)
I read through you build thread and it's looking great so far. For advice, I'd say to take your time in working out the coil spring mounting position on the frame. My first set of frame mounts were made from 1/2" x 3/4" 1/16" thick aluminum angle. The 1/2" side is where the top of the spring rests and the 3/4" side mounts to the frame. The aluminum pieces were easy to make drill and remake as I experimented with where to put the mount vertically.
For springs you don' want a long spring and you want a pretty stiff spring. The Traxxas Maxx spring combination I used didn't work out like I wanted so I have now gone to a shorter Losi 2.5" silver spring in the rear (pn 5156) and kept the black XXL Traxxas springs up front but took the spacer I had out. This lowered the ride height about 1/4".
If I could redo the front spring mounts I'd lower them to use the Losi springs at all 4 corners or use Traxxas black long springs for the front of a Stampede. You just have to experiment to get the ride height you want.

In order to have the body sit so low you have to have a partial droop suspension and that means you need to get a good link setup in the rear to reduce torque twist and body lean. I have redone the rear upper link mount on the axle to get the rear upper links parallel to the ground at ride height and this has helped alot. (the new ride height helped too) It drives much better than when Jason wrote the article. If you have the shocks fully extended at ride height you have more room for error in the suspension setup. It's up to you how you want to do it. The Losi shocks would work great, they are the same length Guido uses. I'd recommend 70 weight oil and see how that works for you.

As far as your question about these rigs weighing 14 tons.....yes. Guido weighs in at 12 pounds.

Shave the Rockstompers with a belt sander or a sanding disk with 60 or 80 grit. Mount them to a wheel to make them easier to handle. Be careful because the rubber will want to grab and either take off too much lug or rip it out of your hands. Wear a dust mask or you'll be blowing black boogers the rest of the week. When they are shaved down they will be about 5 1/8" tall, just a touch taller than the Axial Lizards you have.

Good luck and keep up the good work. "thumbsup"

Last edited:
:ror: I do what I can. :ror: j/k
Rigs like Mongo are right up there imo, you've got alot of work in yours too and it looks sweet.
Thanks, but you haven't seen him up close.:roll: The attention and detail you have put into Guido is insane. You gonna bring him to Montana this year? I would love to see him.

Grizz not problem on the pictures. If you need any of the originals let me know, they are of much higher quality then what gets posted on here.

For anyone that has seem this rig in person can attest, even the best pictures can do it no justice!

I got into crawling about 2 months ago and got the bug. I just picked up my SCX-10 today. I own a 69 bronco that I have been working on for over a year. I was up at finish line last week for my first time and I was telling Dan I wanted to build a bronco and he told me about yours. I am very interested in seeing it. I am not the most creative person but I am not afraid to try new things either. I really want to see how you formed the floorpan so I can get some ideas.

Your bronco is incredible. I really hope that mine turns out to be even a respectable 2nd to this piece of artwork. I hope to see you at a local comp so I can take a closer look.

Great Job!!!!

I'm abronco owner and

also building a scaler of a twissted nature. My 1:1 is a sport 67 bronco also under construction. But what I really wanted to say is that I met John and had him sign my EB issue of his featured bronco that your build is inspired from. I got to watch him and this bronco in action, in Farmington New Mexico. After it was first built (been a while). This was built I think he said at over 100,000 dollars at the time. He also told me that he is a musican, Plays something like a flute. Any how I'm A real fan of the work on both builds."thumbsup"

Last edited:
Awesome Rig

I just read the article in RC Driver by JIA and then searched for this thread...

You have a very awesome rig.

Is there any chance is getting a schematic of the wiring for your "two speed" switch? I am smart enough to know how it works, build it from a drawing, debug, and figure out if it will fry my esc. I just can't figure out how to wire it up.

I thought I might use 2- 2cell LiPos... I don't know if a Sidewinder will handle 14.4 V ?

I just read the article in RC Driver by JIA and then searched for this thread...

You have a very awesome rig.

Is there any chance is getting a schematic of the wiring for your "two speed" switch? I am smart enough to know how it works, build it from a drawing, debug, and figure out if it will fry my esc. I just can't figure out how to wire it up.

I thought I might use 2- 2cell LiPos... I don't know if a Sidewinder will handle 14.4 V ?
Here you go.

The light blue switch is a DPDT center-off toggle (double pole double throw). The light green switch is a SPST toggle (single pole single throw). Assuming you use 7.2V 1500 mAh batteries:
-When thrown in position "0" it connects the common ("C") pole to "0" pole. Thus connecting the batteries in parallel (7.2V, 3000 mAh) to the ESC.
-When thrown in position "1" it connects the common ("C") pole to "1" pole. Thus connecting the batteries in series (14.4V, 1500 mAh) to the ESC.
-When thrown in the center position (off) it disconnects all battery power to the ESC.

The BEC is connected directly to battery 1. I did this so that even when the batteries are in series, the BEC would always be converting 7.2V to 6V and would never have to work too hard. This also keeps power going to the RX while you are switching voltage so the Spektrum radio never loses it's bind. This is also why there is a switch for the BEC (light green), this way you can kill power to the BEC and shut down the RX. Otherwise the BEC will always be drawing power from battery 1.

To turn on the rig: Turn on the BEC switch, then turn on the "shifter" switch.
To switch voltages ("gears"): Just flip the "shifter" switch from position 1 to position 0, or vise-versa.
To turn off the rig: Put the "shifter" switch to the center (off) position, turn off the BEC switch.

The switches I used in Guido:
"Shifter" switch; Radio Shack model number 275-664, DPDT center-off toggle, rated 6A@125VAC
BEC switch; Radio Shack model number 275-624, SPST Micromini toggle, rated 3A@125VAC

Thanks for all the great comments guys. "thumbsup"

Attachments

• 2speed wiring.JPG
    2speed wiring.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,780
Man, I have admired this truck forever. I have the pics of it that were in the rc crawler edition of rc driver on my workbench. Made a little collage (sp?) of all my favorite rigs and covered it with plexy glass. I give you "thumbsup""thumbsup" and an A+

Back