• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

Dont Crush'em; Restore them - RC10GT

We did not take any pics. It's just something we did when he blew up the diff in his mk1 rs4 and no parts are available and my e10 was broken to
The veilinion brushless. Almost immediately melted the diff in the rs4
And he had the 10gt sitting around with a broken engine. Broken rod now my keychain

We also. Put the brushless in his old 90's era tamiya hilux. And promptly melted that diff too
50k rpm brushless does not play around
It was fun. And the 10gt is still complete awaiting another brushless set up. I believe the veilinion set up went in his sprint 2

That CV-R 18 is a beast! I have one in my RC10GT and it's hard to keep the wheels down. A blast to drive."thumbsup"

We did not take any pics. It's just something we did when he blew up the diff in his mk1 rs4 and no parts are available and my e10 was broken to
The veilinion brushless. Almost immediately melted the diff in the rs4
And he had the 10gt sitting around with a broken engine. Broken rod now my keychain

We also. Put the brushless in his old 90's era tamiya hilux. And promptly melted that diff too
50k rpm brushless does not play around
It was fun. And the 10gt is still complete awaiting another brushless set up. I believe the veilinion set up went in his sprint 2

I guess that is one sick diff killing electric motor, lol. I've only had a ball diff melt on me once. Unfortunately i can't remember which truck was the victim...but i remember the diff balls being one with the plastic diff gear. The connecting rod keychain is a sweet idea...never would have thought of that.

I remember running my kyosho nitro buggy down a dirt track...engine screaming. I managed a couple of laps till the wheels locked on the straightaway after the engine went silent. when i picked up the car...it was sizzling & smoking. Connecting rod exploded and took out the cylinder sleeve. Of course this was totally my fault as i was still trying to understand the nuances of adjusting the carburetor. Lesson learned and $80 lighter in the pockets.

That CV-R 18 is a beast! I have one in my RC10GT and it's hard to keep the wheels down. A blast to drive."thumbsup"

I haven't finished breaking in the CV-R but from what I've seen on youtube you are right. I've had a .12 engine on my first GT but moved to a .16 when i revived it. The factory team truck was fitted with the CV-R and no restrictive carburetor fitting. Im just trying to finish the break in so that i can open her up. Im short maybe 2 tanks.

Feel free to post a pick of your GT.

Ok, but mine isn't as sexy looking as yours.;-)

RC10GT001.jpg

RC10GT002.jpg

RC10GT004.jpg

I also have some pix of my buddy's that I rebuilt for him after he crashed it into a curb and bent the chassis.

RC10GT006.jpg

RC10GT007.jpg

Hey Super...Thanks for posting pics of your rig as well as your friends (the more the merrier), love them old school wheels. Brings back memories...The HPI street hawgs in the background also bring back memories, lol I guess almost every RC10GT owner has slapped a set of those on their rigs.

I now like putting beadlocks on my GT's so that i dont mess with glue anymore. Always hated when my skin would get stuck on the tires. not cool!

I mounted a proline hub kit(with some modification) that allows me to use 12mm beadlocks, thats why i slapped on the axial wheels. I have a set of aluminum beadlocks as wheel with low profile street tires...cant wait to burn some rubber with those when it gets warmer! WOOO HOOO!!!!

Talking about road tires... This is the way I had it set up for the last couple of years. Notice the bead locks on the rear. I've got a couple sets but couldn't find any more. I'll have to get one of those hub kits.

Crawlerpix016.jpg

That's a cool body for it. I use to love running the GT on pavement with those tires.

The hub kit i used was for the associated SC10 and was made by pro-line

Pro-Line SC10 Front Inboard Hub 6068 for Short Course

I remember having to grind some material off the axle in order to get it to fit on the GT but should be easy; i used a Dremel tool. I mounted a set on both of my trucks and now have a greater selection of wheels.

Once the motor broken in good and I do a couple of more shake down runs i want to swap the axial wheels for the aluminum wheels with pavement tires.

IMG_6538e.jpg

You're probably gonna wanna weight the front and gear it up. Mine would flip over so fast that I couldn't catch it.

I'm running the RR hardened steel gears,which I don't think you can get any more, but I think it's 54t spur (too lazy to count lol) and I changed to a 24t clutch bell. If you go that route your gonna have to slot the holes a little more for that gear combo. That tamed it down to where you can catch it before it goes over.

Been running it that way since I put that motor in. Doesn't get hot, burn up clutches or bog. That motor makes A LOT of torque!"thumbsup"

RC10GT003.jpg

You're probably gonna wanna weight the front and gear it up. Mine would flip over so fast that I couldn't catch it.

I'm running the RR hardened steel gears,which I don't think you can get any more, but I think it's 54t spur (too lazy to count lol) and I changed to a 24t clutch bell. If you go that route your gonna have to slot the holes a little more for that gear combo. That tamed it down to where you can catch it before it goes over.

Been running it that way since I put that motor in. Doesn't get hot, burn up clutches or bog. That motor makes A LOT of torque!"thumbsup"
RC10GT003.jpg

Thanks for the info on keeping all 4 tires planted on the ground. Those gears are like a must for all GT owners...that and MIP universals. I even have the hardened gears inside the tranny.

I have a cool selection of clutch bells...i believe 17t, 18t, 19t, and possible 20t but i've never tried a 24t bell. Whats your top speed like? Thanks for supplying the answer to my next question which was about your clutch wear.

The engine seems fairly smooth. It idled great and ran good for 4 tanks of gas but i couldn't finish breaking her in so i couldn't see how fast she was.

So its a torquey engine huh? Maybe i should add some wheelie bars, lol.

I just picked up an associated Factory Team exhaust for the GT. Always wanted one for this truck...finally after all these years i managed to find one.

Yeah, I did the hardened gears in the trans with an aluminum case.

The universals hold up pretty good, the dog bone end broke off on me a few times and the input shaft of the trans likes to break where the hole is for the pin. Not a problem but if you drive it hard like I do those are parts you should expect to break after a while. I've gone through a few of each;-)

I love that engine, of all the engines I've had that one is my favorite. Like you said it idles nice and it is very easy to tune. Not finicky and keeps it's tune, very forgiving.

Let me know how things work out."thumbsup"

Yeah, I did the hardened gears in the trans with an aluminum case.

The universals hold up pretty good, the dog bone end broke off on me a few times and the input shaft of the trans likes to break where the hole is for the pin. Not a problem but if you drive it hard like I do those are parts you should expect to break after a while. I've gone through a few of each;-)

I love that engine, of all the engines I've had that one is my favorite. Like you said it idles nice and it is very easy to tune. Not finicky and keeps it's tune, very forgiving.

Let me know how things work out."thumbsup"

LOL i have the aluminum tranny case as well. I guess i was looking to bulletproof it so i don't have to do much maintenance other than occasional lubing.

I have to check which size i have. I know there are two; 3/16 axle and 1/4 axle, then i need to order some spares.

I like to keep a set of everything i think i might go through like slipper discs, diff rebuilds, extra arms, clutch shoes and stuff. I checked out tower hobbies and found a 22t clutch bell and ordered it last night...or at least i thought i did. Come to find out this morning that i did not add it to my order and now its on backorder. :shock:

I did get a chance to buy some original blue shocks for both GT's. The older one of the trucks is running on Axial rears and proline fronts; i want to get it back on original associated shocks.

Will keep you updated on both GT's...hopefully get some footage after fully breaking in the engine.

Got some goodies today...I wanted to update my older GT model with original RC10GT shocks. Now the geometry and suspension are correct.

IMG_1647_zps14cd1199.jpg

IMG_1646_zps73101828.jpg

got the fronts on
IMG_1648_zpsf046d50b.jpg

and the rears with stiff (red) springs
IMG_1650_zps52872e67.jpg

IMG_1651_zps21d7881c.jpg

very colorful
IMG_1657_zps4792009f.jpg

IMG_1653_zpsf34f0468.jpg

IMG_1652_zps0eb9b010.jpg

I got a couple more goodies coming in the mail for both GT's

Can't wait!!!

Lobo, can you post a couple pix of the axles so I can see what the hubs look like. "thumbsup"

Damn Alex that truck looks so good with all those blue parts , very cool.
Im hoping to get my rc-10 resto going soon .....I have to many to work on

Wow, I have two rc-10 tin tubs one in pieces, one has been slammed for oval racing...but ready to run if I put electronics in it
Super is right...not enough time

Lobo, can you post a couple pix of the axles so I can see what the hubs look like. "thumbsup"

Will post some pics when i get back home tonight. I mounted some RC4WD Dick Cepek 1.9 with the smallish Dick Cepek tires (3.97") last night. they are close to same height as the truck tires but are narrower

Damn Alex that truck looks so good with all those blue parts , very cool.
Im hoping to get my rc-10 resto going soon .....I have to many to work on

Thanks Pale, that GT is all aluminum. sees mostly pavement. The factory team is all RPM'd out, but in the break in process.

Not "Too many to work on" more like "Not enough time":mrgreen:
I agree

Wow, I have two rc-10 tin tubs one in pieces, one has been slammed for oval racing...but ready to run if I put electronics in it
Super is right...not enough time
Ah the tub chassis...memories....

very nice awesome cars
i have 6 rc10gt's and 2 rc10gt2's still allways looking for spare parts

Thanks for the compliment mr4x4king!!!

Wow...you've got yourself an Army of GT's.

Which of the two do you prefer? the original or the GT2? post some pics!

I hear you on the spare parts...i only have two GT's...and im always looking for spares i might need just to keep them up and running another 20years or so.

Back