• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

DAKAR Rally Modified Stewart & Stevenson M1079

Making more progress! Frame is all painted, pretty and assembled again. Servo is in, motor is in, ESC mounted and ready for all the wiring to start.

attachment.php

Just about everything is painted and ready for the wrap, cab semi-assembled, seats and sound module will be showing up soon and I can get started on the interior! Inching ever closer to having a running truck!

attachment.php

you just won the internet in my books

how long is the line of people asking to buy one? :)

Oh updates! Pay attention!

Been working on this rig more and.....it DRIVES! Test drove the chassis the other day, very pleased with the scale speed. There's hundreds of scale feet of wiring in this truck and still lots more to do. Don't worry, it'll all be tucked and decently pretty when I'm done. Started by getting the receiver and GT Power module mounted in a sweet custom bracket for easy access through the side door.

attachment.php

Then I decided she needed some fender liner splash guardy things to keep some junk off the batteries and out of the box.

attachment.php

Then the rock lights went in, controlled by an Axial 3-port H/O LED module.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tested the lights and sounds, all is working!

attachment.php

Interior is moving right along as well, we have screens on screens on screens that will have detailed decals, 3 racing seats and a race steering wheel.

attachment.php

Mounted the speaker box in the tunnel area and it fits like we did it on purpose.

attachment.php

Also got 4 RC4WD Baja Squadron pods mounted in the front bumper cutouts, just need to wire them to the Axial H/O Controller and pray it works!

attachment.php

Lots more to do including wiring the cab, which will receive 3 Pro-Line light bars on the roof and two amber marker lights along with some switches and a master power plug for easy removal later on if necessary. More to come!

Last edited:
More progress! Got the ESC power and rock light switches mounted up in a bracket between the cab and the box. and made a power plug and switch panel in the cab to control the light bars, head lights and interior dome light and a wire conduit to conceal most of it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

4 Squadron head lights working and they are bright! Added marker lights to the door and roof and they run off of an Axial simple LED controller hooked to the G.T. Power unit to light up when all the others do.

attachment.php

Got seat brackets done up to mount the seats also, they will go in after I get the wiring all finished.

attachment.php

Also added some small mirrors.

attachment.php

Inching ever closer, still lots of small details to finish up before it is ready! The roof rack is ordered and should be here from Shapeways next week!

Still rigging up lights in this thing, got some nice LED strips to light up the inside of the box for display and show off everything inside.

attachment.php

Also the cab-over rack came in from Shapeways and it turned out good! Mounted up the 3 Pro-Line LED bars and 3 Axial fog light buckets with grills. Just need to wire these up to the switch behind the driver!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also moved the servo down onto the front axle, I know better than trying to run a CMS with a 4-link setup, works like trash so this was the only other option to have good steering and as a bonus it moved some weight off the springs! Now it turns like it should.

attachment.php

Wrap should be done very very soon and then it'll be time to make a video after I finish up some more scale details.

attachment.php

After some consideration, decided to completely redo the spare tire section of the truck. The big printed part was likely not going to survive too long as it had already split in 2 spots after attempting to bolt it to the fender flares. Went with the rib and panel construction that the main box is derived of and it turned out awesome!

attachment.php

Painted all the parts, cut lexan panels and started wrapping the whole truck.

attachment.php

Then decided to put some mudlfaps on it front and rear, complete with punched out Tekin 3-dot logo. These are printed from Bridge and are flexible. Just need to finish up the mounting on the rear.

attachment.php

Safety nets on the cab rear windows for...safety?

attachment.php

Almost wrapped, just need to finish up the rear. Also wired up the 3 Pro-Line light bars on the roof!

attachment.php

Cut a windshield and test fit. Pretty happy with how it turned out! Also made a prop for the side doors that folds away for stowage.

attachment.php

Almost done, just a few more details to knock out.

Last edited:
Back