• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Affordable self made lockouts.

Mnster

MWRCA'er
I made these a while ago they have held up fantastic to everything my heavy scaler could dish out. They are a great alternative to using links to lock out rear which wastes clearance or buying highly overpriced store bought lockouts.

Really pretty easy once you get the thought of it down and have tools that you are comfortable working with.

DSC06586.jpg

Remove knuckle.
DSC06590.jpg

Use nippers to cut appendages from knuckle.
DSC06594.jpg

After rough trimming.
DSC06597.jpg

Carefully sand away with a rotary tool (or in my case a Lathe) any of the rough spots.
DSC06630.jpg

Also do the same on the axle end.
DSC06613.jpg

Locate standard 1/2 PVC pipe available from most any hardware store.
DSC06599.jpg

Drill pipe inside diameter larger to match the outside diameter of your knuckle chunk.
DSC06605.jpg

Additional sanding may be required to bring the pipe to the proper size.
DSC06618.jpg

Apply a light coat of epoxy and use a vice to press the two pieces together the fit should be very snug.
DSC06632.jpg

Slide on axle case drill the two holes required for mounting.
DSC06586.jpg

Apply a coat of flat black, Done.
DSC06639.jpg

Gula ....After you cut and trim the hub to a nice round surface you will have to measure the diameter...Then find a drill bit a few thou smaller, to insure nice snug fit. Its more about getting a good fit than the specific drill size... He used a lathe most guys dont have that option and will file and sand as needed then measure... Measure many times cut once....

I found that three quarter inch pvc works good w/o/ sanding of the pvc,
thanks for the info and inspiration."thumbsup"

Great idea....Could you tell us what dia. drill you use on the inside of the pvc pipe? Also what is the length of pvc pipe?

I made these a while ago they have held up fantastic to everything my heavy scaler could dish out. They are a great alternative to using links to lock out rear which wastes clearance or buying highly overpriced store bought lockouts.

Really pretty easy once you get the thought of it down and have tools that you are comfortable working with.

Remove knuckle.

Use nippers to cut appendages from knuckle.

After rough trimming.

Carefully sand away with a rotary tool (or in my case a Lathe) any of the rough spots.

Also do the same on the axle end.

Locate standard 1/2 PVC pipe available from most any hardware store.

Drill pipe inside diameter larger to match the outside diameter of your knuckle chunk.

Additional sanding may be required to bring the pipe to the proper size.

Apply a light coat of epoxy and use a vice to press the two pieces together the fit should be very snug.

Slide on axle case drill the two holes required for mounting.

Apply a coat of flat black, Done.

Great idea and great write up with very clear pics! Thanks! "thumbsup"

Back